Helmet Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
In article <[email protected]>,
Peter Keller <[email protected]> writes:

> and is also under the Gnu licence, not some wierd university one.

...must .... resist .... temptation .... to .. get .. .. into ... GPL .. vs .. BDSL ....
argument ... :)

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

[email protected] (Tom Keats) writes:
> In article <[email protected]>, Peter Keller <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> and is also under the Gnu licence, not some wierd university one.
>
> ...must .... resist .... temptation .... to .. get .. .. into ... GPL .. vs .. BDSL ....
> argument ... :)
^^^^ oops. BSDL. Haven't had enough coffee yet.

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 17:56:40 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>They give me the confidence to do 60 + Which is fun. So they are good!

up there ^^^ is a bloke who could do with you telling the NZ highway transportation agency that,
they don't believe in risk compensation.

Guy
===
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:51:51 -0500, "frkrygow"
<"frkrygow"@omitcc.ysu.edu> wrote:

>Your logic leads to the kind of society imagined by T.H. White in _The Sword in the Stone_:
>"Everything not compulsory is forbidden."

Hey! He copied that idea from Switzerland!

Guy
===

Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
: ...must .... resist .... temptation .... to .. get .. .. into ... GPL .. vs .. BDSL ....
: argument ... :)

heh - heh. funny you mention that. i had gone so far as to write out a post before ... wisely ...
canceling.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What does this have to do with bicycling? Do cowboys all ride MTB's now?
>
> Or was this just posted to start another helmet war?

Hey..has Mr. Kunich managed to usurp the title of "Longest Most Useless Helmet Thread" yet?? We must
be getting close. Has anyone ever managed to successfully convert a person from one side to the
other?!?! What's the point of this?!?! ;-)

Cheers,

Scott..

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 17:14:58 -0500, "S. Anderson"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

> Has anyone ever managed to successfully convert a person from one side to the other?!?!

Yes. I used to be a True Believer but now I accept that polystyrene foam deflector beanies prevent
only the most trivial injuries and thereafter cause at least as many serious injuries as they
prevent, through a variety of mechanisms.

I am now campaiging against a law which is due to come before the UK parliament making it a criminal
offence to allow a child to ride a tricycle or pedal kart in a public park without a helmet. BMX
stunts on waste ground will be permitted. It is an unusually badly worded bill.

What gets me is, fifteen years ago the first, best thing you could do for your safety on a bike was
to get trained. Second was to make sure your bike was in god working order, and third was to wear
bright clothing. Now, first, second and third is wear a plastic hat. All the others have dropped
completely off the radar. Nobody has even hinted at evaluating which of the four things yields the
best result in terms of injury reductions.

Guy
===

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:39:03 +1300, Peter Keller <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>I'm having a running battle with our Land Transport Safety Authority (sic) over the need for
>compulsory helmet legislation.

I wish I could help. We're fighting to ward off the Liddites over here right now, as you know. I
rather liked Perry's submission re trailers - but presumably the Liddites now mandate plastic hats
for trailer occupants as well?

Guy
===

Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Tom Keats) writes:
>> In article <[email protected]>, Peter Keller <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> and is also under the Gnu licence, not some wierd university one.
>>
>> ...must .... resist .... temptation .... to .. get .. .. into ... GPL .. vs .. BDSL .... argument
>> ... :)
> ^^^^ oops. BSDL. Haven't had enough coffee yet.

Heh, that's ok, I kind of prefer the first version. It lends itself to more interesting acronyms...

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g "Are [Linux users] lemmings collectively
jumping off of the cliff of reliable, well-engineered commercial software?" (By Matt Welsh)

Rick Onanian wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 17:14:58 -0500, "S. Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hey..has Mr. Kunich managed to usurp the title of "Longest Most Useless Helmet Thread" yet?? We
>> must be getting close. Has anyone ever managed to
>
> Nowhere near close. Last year's "Should I wear a helmet?" thread had 933 posts, according to
> groups.google.com, and it's parallel "Cycling is dangerous" had 368; there were some offshoots of
> each, whose titles I don't remember. I think I remember another 500 post thread, but I don't
> recall it's title.
>
>> successfully convert a person from one side to the other?!?! What's the point of this?!?! ;-)
>
> They have never had any effect. There is no point.

I was converted from a mostly "helmets are a good idea" point of view to a "they probably do little
or no good and may do harm" point of view (although I was always against MHLs).

--
Benjamin Lewis

Don't tell me how hard you work. Tell me how much you get done. -- James J. Ling

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 17:14:58 -0500, "S. Anderson"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Hey..has Mr. Kunich managed to usurp the title of "Longest Most Useless Helmet Thread" yet?? We
>must be getting close. Has anyone ever managed to

Nowhere near close. Last year's "Should I wear a helmet?" thread had 933 posts, according to
groups.google.com, and it's parallel "Cycling is dangerous" had 368; there were some offshoots of
each, whose titles I don't remember. I think I remember another 500 post thread, but I don't recall
it's title.

>successfully convert a person from one side to the other?!?! What's the point of this?!?! ;-)

They have never had any effect. There is no point. I spent way too much time trying to figure that
out through participation last year. I argued for the sake of not leaving stuff unargued, mostly,
I think...

There are three types of trolls who start these threads:
1. People who think that they know what's best for everybody
2. People who troll for trolling's sake
3. Misguided souls actually trying to accomplish something good
--
Rick Onanian

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> Risk compensation comes in many forms. While bods wearing leathers ride their bikes in ways they
> probably wouldn't if wearing shorts and t-shirt, bods wearing shorts and t-shirt ride that way too
> if they've been doing the squid thing for a while. If you do "foolish" things and don't get hurt,
> then the risk level of that activity drops in your estimation.
>
> So to make car drivers more wary and careful, have to ensure they crash now and then....

Won't work for all of them, of course.

One guy I know has had fairly frequent car crashes. After (nervously) riding as his passenger, I can
vouch that they haven't made him wary or careful at all.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

David Reuteler <[email protected]> writes:
> Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:

> it was probably mostly a sysadmin vs developer thing. admins couldn't use emacs 'cause in the day
> it was rarely on new installs or production machines and developers liked it 'cause it was made
> for them and almost an IDE and had syntax highlighting, cvs stuff, etc and so the userbase ended
> up being pretty clearly drawn on those lines. those two groups were destined to fight about
> something, anything (i say this having been on both sides).

Aw, I remember all that stuff. Also the OpenLook vs Motif battle, and how COSE was gonna sort it all
out, once and for all. And how the GNU cry-babies felt emacs & other GNU/RMS productions were
victims of arbitrary prejudice (and were correct, to a degree).

But it's all historical artifact now; it's like an ancient feud that nobody knows what started it.

Do they still make those "System Administration: It's a Dirty Job, but Somebody Told Me to do it"
tee-shirts?

cheers, Tom

--