Helmet with a visor?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jose B. Ruivo, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Hi All,

    Is there any bicycle helmet with a visor (not a peak, to protect from the sun) to protect your face
    (from the cold, and rain)?

    Thank you,

    Jose B. Ruivo

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Jose B. Ruivo wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Is there any bicycle helmet with a visor (not a peak, to protect from the sun) to protect your
    > face (from the cold, and rain)?

    Respro make a visor you can add to any helmet.

    OTOH cold and rain makes you feel alive ;-)

    Tony

  3. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Jose B. Ruivo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Is there any bicycle helmet with a visor (not a peak, to protect from the sun) to protect your
    > face (from the cold, and rain)?

    The only ones I'm aware of are those aimed at downhillers, see the link for an example:

    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Helmets+Full+Face&ModelID=1603

    They lack the amount of ventilation of a normal helmet but that possibly isn't a problem at this
    time of year. I can see there being a problem with visibility if it's raining and regarding
    protection from the cold my own choice is either a thin balaclava or Buff <1> under the helmet
    depending on how cold it is.

    <1> A piece of tubular fabric that can be configured in different ways to give protection to ones
    noggin. http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=20310
    --
    Regards, Pete

  4. On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:26:50 -0000, "Tony Raven"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Respro make a visor you can add to any helmet.
    >
    >OTOH cold and rain makes you feel alive ;-)

    It may make you feel alive, but since I have sinusitis and alergies, it makes feel a "terrific"
    headache . . .

    Thank you for the tip!

    Regards,

    Jose B. Ruivo

    >Tony

  5. Hi Peter,

    >http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Helmets+Full+Face&ModelID=1603

    That looks like a peak to me, not a visor, right in front of you face, nose, etc . . .

    ><1> A piece of tubular fabric that can be configured in different ways to give protection to ones
    > noggin. http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=20310

    That could also be a "partial" solution, to cover throat and forehead (with 2 diferent pieces).

    But I'd still prefer a proper visor, like the one in motorcycle helmets - yes, I do ride a
    motorcycle too, but would prefer not having to use my motorcycle helmet to cycle . . .

    Thanks for the tips!

    Regards,

    Jose B. Ruivo

  6. davebee

    davebee New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2004
    I don't think any of the bike helmets come with a "motorcycle style" visor. The type of riding you do will dictate the type of helmet you go for. (well DUH! ;-)) I have known of some people who use skiing goggles as a makeshift visor, and then something else (eg a bandana or whatever) to protect the lower face. Never tried it myself, but could work ok. Personally, I use a Giro Animas helmet (my xc riding doesn't require full face) and a pair of Oakley Halfjacket sunglasses, which I wear on all but the darkest of days, in which case i dispense with the shades. Hope this helps.

  7. Pmailkeey

    Pmailkeey Guest

    Only in the last week, I've seen two lots of cyclists where there's been wearers of motorcycle style
    helmets with a section round the chin
    !
    --
    Comm again, Mike.