Helmets ..... a- f*****g-gain

Pk

Guest
Just out of interest,

how many of the regulars here *never* wear a helmet?

pk

All outgoing messages scanned for viruses by Norton Antivirus

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:26:40 +0000 (UTC), "PK" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just out of interest,
>
>how many of the regulars here *never* wear a helmet?
>
>pk

Never.

And my children (both under 8) are under no compulsion from me to wear one. They both own helmets
but the choice is theirs. Both love cycling & eldest rides to school - on the road.

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:26:40 +0000 (UTC), "PK" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just out of interest,
>
>how many of the regulars here *never* wear a helmet?
>
>pk

When I bought my bike from Fatbirds I was kinda forced into taking a freebie. Never worn it - don't
intend to unless I get a helmet-cam stuck on the side of it.

I can't really see how a helmet is gonna help me if I get hit by White Van Man doin' 70 in a 30
zone, or some ijut in a 4X4 with his phone stuck to his ear and his eyes on his seat cover.

Gary

Reply to gary at data dot mildenhall dot com

"[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:26:40 +0000 (UTC), "PK" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Just out of interest,
> >
> >how many of the regulars here *never* wear a helmet?

I have never worn one, I think they foster a feeling of false security.I'd much prefer to avoid a
collision in the first place than to rely on a helmet to bail me out.
--
Simon

In article <[email protected]>, spam.trap100 @btinternet.com says...
> Just out of interest,
>
> how many of the regulars here *never* wear a helmet?
>
> pk

This argument always seems to run for ages but I can only see one sensible answer. Surely it HAS to
be best to wear a helmet. Sure, if a car comes piling into you at 70mph then you're probably toast
but what about all other eventualities? An unexpected side swipe sends you down to the pavement, you
don't have chance to fully react and your head hits the pavement. Who comes off best here....helmet
or no-helmet. It's a no- brainer. I just don't get it. Sure, it feels great without the helmet but I
value my life much more than the slight discomfort of wearing the
lid. They said that if Andrei Kivilev (sp?) would have probably survived if he was wearing a lid,
that's enough for me. Here's a picture of my friend Michael on a training ride with Lance
Armstrong. Hemlets galore.

http://www.wardworldwide.com/mikeandthebike/

Cheers

Dene

>Never.

Always

>And my children (both under 8) are under no compulsion from me to wear one. They both own helmets
>but the choice is theirs. Both love cycling & eldest rides to school - on the road.

My teenager always wears one too - and he cycles to school and he does time trials and he enjoys
cycling - on the road. Wearing of a helmet has not put him off.

A helmet is not some sort of magic talisman that will prevent the wearer form all injury, but it
does provide some protection in some circumstances.

If you want to wear a helmet - do so, If you don't then don't - personal choice. It just so happens
I think the choice of wearing one is a better choice than not wearing one.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**$s$@*$$a**$*ol*$*.*$$c$om*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

PK wrote:
> Just out of interest,
>
> how many of the regulars here *never* wear a helmet?

How many of the regulars here can resist pitching in to yet another interminable heard it all before
not going to change my mind helmet thread?

Yawn

Tony

--
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

PK must be edykated coz e writed:

> Just out of interest,
>
> how many of the regulars here *never* wear a helmet?
>
> pk
I usually wear a helmet, but occasionally I go without, but riding a recumbent trike I'm less likely
to fall over, (although it has happened on more spirited rides).

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

PK wrote:
> Just out of interest,
>
> how many of the regulars here *never* wear a helmet?
>
> pk

No comment.

"PK" <[email protected]>typed

> Just out of interest,

> how many of the regulars here *never* wear a helmet?

I don't. I don't cycle anymore. I don't wear a h*lm*t in the house or when crossing the
street either.

I did wear a lid in the last few years I cycled. I called it the 'Neurotrauma Condom'.

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:40:45 +0100, "[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:26:40 +0000 (UTC), "PK" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Just out of interest,
>>
>>how many of the regulars here *never* wear a helmet?
>>
>>pk
>
>Never.
>
>And my children (both under 8) are under no compulsion from me to wear one. They both own helmets
>but the choice is theirs. Both love cycling & eldest rides to school - on the road.

Reading my post this AM, it's a bit ambiguous.

Their choice at the moment seems to be NOT to wear helmets but that's fine by me.

She is the only child to arrive at her school by bike - that's the important fact, not the
type of hat.

Helen Deborah Vecht must be edykated coz e writed:

> "PK" <[email protected]>typed
>

>> Just out of interest,
>
>> how many of the regulars here *never* wear a helmet?
>
> I don't. I don't cycle anymore. I don't wear a h*lm*t in the house or when crossing the
> street either.
>
> I did wear a lid in the last few years I cycled. I called it the 'Neurotrauma Condom'.
Why don't you cycle anymore?

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

"[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:26:40 +0000 (UTC), "PK" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Just out of interest,
> >
> >how many of the regulars here *never* wear a helmet?
> >
> >pk
>
> Never.
>
> And my children (both under 8) are under no compulsion from me to wear one. They both own helmets
> but the choice is theirs. Both love cycling & eldest rides to school - on the road.

I,m surprised they let him in the gate! mine is doing cyc prof and helmets are de rigeur. As it is
Sunday and as News of the World hits millions of doormats (not mine) can we have a genuine "Not
wearing a helmet saved my life" story please?

"PK" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:bkinng$675> how many of the regulars here
*never* wear a helmet?

My wife and I both cycle to work through suburban traffic. Sometimes I wait for her by a roundabout
which she has to negotiate on her way home. My observation was that the most likely accident was
that she would be T boned by an emerging car which would knock her off her bike, with a consequent
possibility of hitting her head on the curb of the roundabout. I asked her to wear a helmet and
therefore, in all concience, must wear one myself. We never wear helmets for leisure cycling on the
tandem or our solos. In short, my judgement is that helmets may be of some use in urban traffic.

However, I am aware of the contradiction that my concern for Sally is not objective and that I would
not wear a helmet for road cycling if I did not want Sally to wear one. I am firmly against
compulsory helemets. My own issues are componded by the fact that since we chose to wear helmets for
the commute, my company has made it compulsory for any one cycling on its premises to wear a helmet
(and issues them free). They did this at the same time as reducing the site speed limit to 20mph!

Conclusion: There is no right answer to this problem

cheers

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 09:41:11 +0100, "[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> in
<[email protected]> wrote:

>She is the only child to arrive at her school by bike - that's the important fact, not the
>type of hat.

I don't have children but I don't know whether I would allow mine to cycle to school if I did have
them. Yes, I know there are long term health benefits, and yes I know that risks are low etc. It's
just something I'm sure i would feel easy about.

However, as a nurse currently working in paediatric trauma and orthopaedics in Birmingham, over the
summer holiday only one injured cyclist came through the door (and s/he was helmetless and off-road
at the time of accident).

I'm just glad I don't have to make that decision! My hat goes off (excuse pun) to those that do
allow their loved ones to cycle.

--
A hippy goes up to a burger bar and asks the vendor, "Make me one with everything"

Stop sleeping to email me.

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:33:23 +0100, "Rod Jenkins" <[email protected]> in
<[email protected]> wrote:

>commute, my company has made it compulsory for any one cycling on its premises to wear a helmet
>(and issues them free). They did this at the same time as reducing the site speed limit to 20mph!

And are both of these regulations observed at all times?

--

"PK" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Just out of interest,
>
> how many of the regulars here *never* wear a helmet?

I used to (occasionally) cycle to work, wearing a helmet. When I got to work, I'd always take the
helmet off.

I suffered concussion twice.

Both times when I hit my head on the low doorway into my office.

In terms of risk evaluation, I'd have been better off wearing the helmet in my office than
on my bike!

The fact that I wear a helmet (or not) should not affect anyone else. It's a free world (still, and
just about!), so people can do as they want to.

Regards,

Pete. Derby UK

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:26:40 UTC, "PK" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just out of interest,
>
> how many of the regulars here *never* wear a helmet?
>
> pk

Always and always, and the boy (age 9) wears his as well or he doesn't go out.

It does no harm to wear a helmet, and I'd rather wear one than not, just in case. It's not going
to save me if some idiot drives into me, but if I fall off then it might save me from
concussion, or worse.

FWIW when my boys were younger I used to make then wear helmets and knee and elbow pads on their
scooters and roller skates - because they used to fall off/over a lot and small heads and hard
pavements/floors aren't a happy combination.

In fact the only time I really needed to be wearing a helmet (crashed into a wall) I wasn't wearing
one - but then I was playing squash! Spent a long time in Casualty though getting X-rays and so on.
--
Tina Eager

"PK" <[email protected]> writes:

> Just out of interest,
>
> how many of the regulars here *never* wear a helmet?

Prior to joining this group and being exposed to the real figures, I rarely wore a helmet and then
only for fast difficult downhills off-road. I now never wear a helmet because on the basis of the
research evidence, under the conditions under which I used to wear one it would have been unlikely
to do any good anyway.

' ' <------- this blank intentionally spaced left

PK wrote:
> Just out of interest,
>
> how many of the regulars here *never* wear a helmet?
>
> pk

<G&S> What *never*? </G&S>

I'll have to go for "hardly ever" because I have worn one on odd [1] occasions - but it wasn't a
cycle helmet... it was one of those industrial hard hat things. And my reason for wearing it was
nothing to do with safety.

And, of course, I have to wear a helmet when riding the motorised bicycles.

[1] and I mean odd.

--
Andrew Pattle