Helmets - A Testimonial

Yippee38 said:
If nothing else, perhaps you could hang out at your LBS wearing a helmet for an hour or so. I think that if you're going to feel some discomfort, you would feel it in an hour.
I think what I have is strange in that it didn't occur prior to wearing a poorly fitted helmet, but now occurs even with a ball cap. I always suffered from very infrequent migraines, but I found that, when I was dealing with the helmet issue, the frequency of my migraines greatly increased.

Also, the tension headache I would get while exercising was brutal. I wondered if the helmet somehow restricted blood flow during periods of intense HR efforts. I remember cutting parts of the padding from the hockey helmets also, to no avail.

Ultimately, I understand that the risks of road cycling are unavoidable. I narrowly missed a deer while descending at only about 30mph- The deer never made any effort to move until afterwards.

I spend a lot of time indoors on a trainer - of course, without a helmet! :D

wheelist said:
Spread the love. :)
Wear a helmet. :D

I absolutely agree with this post. I went through a car windscreen wearing a helmet. Some damage to the car and to my arm. Nothing else. Phew.:D

Good luck with your recovery El Loto.

one of the older members of our club see www.ucbclub.org got hit in the bum by a scooter doing about 80 kph ( closing speed about 55 ) and thanks to his helmet he´s just in horrible pain rather than horriblly hurt .
¿ ever seen a cf trek with the rear hub halfway between the front hub and where the bb should be ?

Hit by a drunk 14 years ago.Almost head on, hit his windshield with my head. Comotose for 5 days, out of service for about 6 months. If I hadn't had my helmet on I would have been killed.

I always wear a helmet, my children always wear a helmet, my wife always wears a helmet.

BTW, he drove off.

always wear a helmet. I fell off a bike going down a hill. I would probably be dead or very seriously brain damaged if it weren't for the helmet, because I rolled for a disance, then my head collided with something. I was out for a little while, but woke up quickly. My helmet had sacrificed itself for my head, fortunately.

They can be uncomfortable, and that is why I suggest searching for a helmet with the best fit system (TeC-loc, Safe-T lite, roc-loc, etc) and that can be the difference between wearing it all the time, and making it a paperweight.

I cant even go down the street without wearing a helmet, I feel naked:eek: I snowboard & climb rocks, and again cant do these without wearing a helmet.

el Inglés said:
one of the older members of our club see www.ucbclub.org got hit in the bum by a scooter doing about 80 kph ( closing speed about 55 ) and thanks to his helmet he´s just in horrible pain rather than horriblly hurt .
¿ ever seen a cf trek with the rear hub halfway between the front hub and where the bb should be ?
Damn you Telepizza!!!! Damn youuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

better to be safe than sorry.....
i always were a helmet. i've cracked 2 cycling helmets and 1 motorcycle helmet in half. i'm sure i could have survived without the protection of a brain bucket in each case......
but then i would have ended up with the mental capabilities of a dry sponge, eating play-doh and making art with mash-patatoes and boogers with very dull blunt objects.....

not wearing a helmet is just as smart as getting married in california..... your screwed, you just don't know it yet........
:cool:

This thread is dominated by 'a helmet saved my life stories'. But are any of you interested in looking a bit further into this subject? If you are try www.cyclehelmets.org .

Cycle helmets are tested to withstand an impact of approx 12-13 mph, about the same force as a fall from 1m height.

If you are hit at 30mph that means you suffer the equivelent of about 27.5mph.

If a helmet cracks it has failed, they are supposed to absorb force by the polystyrene foam squashing. Once they break they do not provide any protection beyond maybe preventing abrasions. They do not protect against rotational injuries causing diffuse axonal injury. If you think a helmet will save your life think again. The trick is to avoid getting hit by a vehicle.

Please someone provide me with some objective evidence that cycle helmets help reduce cycling fatalities.

Fietser said:
This thread is dominated by 'a helmet saved my life stories'. But are any of you interested in looking a bit further into this subject? If you are try www.cyclehelmets.org .

Cycle helmets are tested to withstand an impact of approx 12-13 mph, about the same force as a fall from 1m height.

If a helmet cracks it has failed, they are supposed to absorb force by the polystyrene foam squashing. Once they break they do not provide any protection beyond maybe preventing abrasions. They do not protect against rotational injuries causing diffuse axonal injury. If you think a helmet will save your life think again. The trick is to avoid getting hit by a vehicle.

Please someone provide me with some objective evidence that cycle helmets help reduce cycling fatalities.
Welcome Fiester - note your first posting.

I don't have objective evidence, but assume that what you say about the impact a helmet can absorb is correct and a person hit at 30 mph (about 50 kph to those in the modern world :) - I haven't had to convert imperial to metric so much since my 1969 Peugeot 504 went to the wreckers) absorbs an equivalent hit, whatever that might mean, of 27.5 mph. The helmet still gives you the 12-13 mph absorption before it fails, which viewed simplistically means the 27.5 mph hit is lessened to at least 14.5 mph. It would not be Correct to say, if that is what you are saying (and you may not be) the helmet does not provide any protection. It would be true to say that if a helmet is broken and you are dumb enough to wear it again it will provide minimal or no protection.

I think it is fair to say that in some circumstances a helmet will save or life and lessen in juries, but I agree they will not save a life in all circumstances. I am not sure anyone has claimed that.

Fietser said:
Maybe they won't reduce fatalities a lot, but they surely must reduce the extent of head injuries in non fatal impacts.

An experiment will prove it very quickly. Ask a mate to punch you in the head. Then put the helmet on and get him to do it again. Which punch hurt more? If you're not convinced, you can try the hard core version where he bangs your head on the pavement with and without a helmet ;)

Fietser said:
...If a helmet cracks it has failed, they are supposed to absorb force by the polystyrene foam squashing. Once they break they do not provide any protection beyond maybe preventing abrasions...
Nearly, but not quite. A helmet protects by dissipating energy. Whilst sometimes all of the energy is dissipated by absorption in the outer shell and / or inner foam core, any dissipation is helpful as we are trying to minimise the amount of energy that has to be absorbed by our happy little craniums. Even when a helmet cracks, it absorbs energy in doing so. On the abrasion front, personally, having hit the deck on multiple occassions, I would prefer to have a cracked helmet bouncing off of McAdam's favourite surface, than scalp myself by using my own head.
Fietser said:
...They do not protect against rotational injuries causing diffuse axonal injury...
They also will not protect against twisted ankles. I don't recall anybody claiming that a helmet would prevent a rotational injury such as a broken neck. Broken skulls and broken necks are different issues, although they have the potential to share the same overall result.
Fietser said:
...If you think a helmet will save your life think again...
Having had a helmet save me from probable major head injuries on 2 occasions, I have thought again, and shall continue to do so.
Fietser said:
...The trick is to avoid getting hit by a vehicle...
That is one of the tricks, not collecting the curb with your head during a bunch sprint is another trick. Having been T-boned by a taxi doing an illegal turn, I would think that the only way to guarantee that your trick would work is to not ride where there are any vehicles which could possibly doing the unexpected. As that would prohibit me from riding at all, I choose to accept some risk and add a helmet as a means of possibly reducing the collateral damage liable to occur when body + bike meet car + maniac. No guarantees but, then again, if I was after guarantees, I wouldn't be out there riding my bike - I'd be at home curled up under my bed hoping that the sky doesn't fall.
Fietser said:
...Please someone provide me with some objective evidence that cycle helmets help reduce cycling fatalities.
I have twice hit the deck head-first with forces that I (subjectively) feel would have led to a scrambled egg scenario and have come away with KO + concussion on one of these occasions and concussion alone on the other. Both resulted in totalled helmets and no abrassions to my head. Would they have been otherwise fatal? I can't say for certain and have no intention of replicating them inorder to provide you with statistics. Would they have been messy? I have no doubt they would have been.
I personally don't care whether you wear a helmet or not. If you are after imperical data, don't trust our subjective ****, get yourself a helmet and try running head-first at a brick wall with and without.

"The helmet still gives you the 12-13 mph absorption before it fails, which viewed simplistically means the 27.5 mph hit is lessened to at least 14.5 mph. It would not be Correct to say, if that is what you are saying (and you may not be) the helmet does not provide any protection."

As E =MVV (MV squared) increasing velocity increases energy exponentially. In other words a wind blowing at 20 mph is 10 times as strong as a wind blowing at 10mph, or getting hit at 20mph involves ten times the force of getting hit at 10mph. I am argueing that cycle helmets are not designed to protect your head in the event of colliding with a motor vehicle. No manufacturer claims any protective effect in such an instance as the materials they are constructed of are not strong enough. Helmet standards these days are below what they were 10 years ago in general. They have got lighter and better ventilated but this is more to do with manufacturers trying to make them more appealing to wear.

"It would be true to say that if a helmet is broken and you are dumb enough to wear it again it will provide minimal or no protection."

My arguement here is that when helmets fail, they fail catastrophically. The energy from the impact is no longer absorbed. Please see http://www.cyclehelmets.org/mf.html#1045 for a full explannation if you have time. The writer is an internationally acknowledged expert on the subject and works in the helmet testing industry.

I would most welcome your comments.

"They also will not protect against twisted ankles. I don't recall anybody claiming that a helmet would prevent a rotational injury such as a broken neck. Broken skulls and broken necks are different issues, although they have the potential to share the same overall result."

I didn't explain this well enough. There are 2 main types of head injury, one caused by a direct blow, one caused by a rotational force inside the cranium. Expert neurological opinion is divided about exact mechanisms still. The rotational type of injury causes something called 'diffuse axonal injury' and is not prevented (and may be worsened) by helmet use. See http://www.cyclehelmets.org/mf.html#1045 for more detail.

"I personally don't care whether you wear a helmet or not. If you are after imperical data, don't trust our subjective ****, get yourself a helmet and try running head-first at a brick wall with and without."

I would rather rely on peer reviewed research thanks. If you happen across any do let me know.

What it comes down to is that you can find testing that shows they do help and testing that shows they don't, but pretty much every rider has either had a crash that a helmet saved them from worse injuries or known a handfull of other riders who would say the same. Which means more, testing that can go either way or real life experience?

House said:
What it comes down to is that you can find testing that shows they do help and testing that shows they don't, but pretty much every rider has either had a crash that a helmet saved them from worse injuries or known a handfull of other riders who would say the same. Which means more, testing that can go either way or real life experience?
What I suggest House, is that there isn't any evidence to show cycle helmets save lives on a population basis. There have been several countries where cycle helmet wearing has shot up over a short period after laws were enacted (Australia and New Zealand in the early 1990's are the most famous examples) and there was no change at all in the head injury rate recorded by the respective governments. The biggest effect was to put people of cycling...which is dangerous for the rest of us left out there. The chance of being killed on a bike is strongly related to the volume of cycling, the more people cycle, the safer it gets. Helmets are erroneously credited with protective powers they do not possess and at the same time create an image of danger around what is an extraordinarily safe activity.

Fietser said:
What I suggest House, is that there isn't any evidence to show cycle helmets save lives on a population basis. There have been several countries where cycle helmet wearing has shot up over a short period after laws were enacted (Australia and New Zealand in the early 1990's are the most famous examples) and there was no change at all in the head injury rate recorded by the respective governments. The biggest effect was to put people of cycling...which is dangerous for the rest of us left out there. The chance of being killed on a bike is strongly related to the volume of cycling, the more people cycle, the safer it gets. Helmets are erroneously credited with protective powers they do not possess and at the same time create an image of danger around what is an extraordinarily safe activity.
Helmets change not only the pattern for death and injury for cyclists, but also the pattern for cycling throughout the population.
Compulsory helmet wear leads to fewer cycists, and therefore fewer cycling related deaths. But in the longer term the decline in bike use leads to a greater health burden.

I know that if I hit my head with a helmet on it, I have a lot better chance of surviving. Everything else here is voodoo.

Fietser said:

Fietser said:
Did you know that 95% of cyclists killed in the USA in 1999 were not wearing helmets. Did you know that reduce the risk of serious head injury by as much as 85% and the risk of brain injury by as much as 88%? Or that helmets have been shown to reduce the risk of upper and mid-face injuries by as much as 65%?

See I can find numbers that support wearing helmets too. By the way that is from the CDC.

Fietser said:
As E =MVV (MV squared) increasing velocity increases energy exponentially. In other words a wind blowing at 20 mph is 10 times as strong as a wind blowing at 10mph, or getting hit at 20mph involves ten times the force of getting hit at 10mph. I am argueing that cycle helmets are not designed to protect your head in the event of colliding with a motor vehicle. No manufacturer claims any protective effect in such an instance as the materials they are constructed of are not strong enough. Helmet standards these days are below what they were 10 years ago in general. They have got lighter and better ventilated but this is more to do with manufacturers trying to make them more appealing to wear.

My arguement here is that when helmets fail, they fail catastrophically. The energy from the impact is no longer absorbed. Please see http://www.cyclehelmets.org/mf.html#1045 for a full explannation if you have time. The writer is an internationally acknowledged expert on the subject and works in the helmet testing industry.

I would most welcome your comments.
I had a very quick look at the site - quite informative but I question the motives of thoise behind the site. I am always a bit suspect of sites that push a particular argument and therefore deal with the information on that site with what I hope is a healthy degree of doubt.

I do not think we are in total disagreement. I do not believe cycle helmets offer the claimed 85% and 90% protection that some have claimed - I believe they offer a degree of protection and will, in most circumstances, lessen the extent of injuries. Put simply, I think you are better off wearing a bicycle helmet than not. While I accept there may be some risk that in some circumstances a bicycle helmet might cause injuries that would not have occurred if a person had not been wearing a helmet, I think those risks are worth taking. There is a degree of commonsense in this - if my head is going to hit something, no matter how hard, I'd rather there be something to absorb some of the energy (or shock, as some might express it).

I accept you are correct on the formula for calculating momentum - takes me back to 1st year undergrad physics (when I owned the Peugot referred to in my earlier post - memories of a 6 pack stomach and no mortgage). If I can indulge you by working in metric (the only imperial measures I understand are feet and nautical miles), work through the example you promoted. Assume my head weighs 5000g and I have an impact at 13 mph, which is 22 kph or 6.11 m/s. The momentum of my head at the point of collision will be 186.66 KN (?). Assume, for the sake of the argument, that the helmet will absorb that force and leave my pretty head without injury. Then increase the speed of my head at the point of impact to 27.5 mph, which is 45.8 kph or 12.7 m/s - the momentum of my head will be 806.45 KN. My argument is that, all things being equal and subject to that questionable assumption, my head will receive 619.79 KN less force if I was wearing a helmet in the 27.5 mph collision than if I wasn't, and that has got to be better than copping the full 806.45 KN impact.

I agree it would be good to have a clear scientific study on the pros and cons of wearing helmets. There is not much evidence that I have seen, inclkuding on the site you referred me to, that stacks up from a scientific perspective. However, people have to work with what they have, and the main problem seems to be that each bicycle accident is unique and hard to pin together from a statistical perspective.

I am not convinced by one part of the site refering to what a Court found in a particular case in which the author of that part was a witness for, I assume, for a bicycle helmet manufacturer. The fact that a Court makes a finding that was contrary to the evidence of the author is relevant in determining liabilities between the parties to the proceedings and adds to the common law. But that because a Court makes a factual finding in a particular case before it does not make something factually, or scientifically, correct.

I am a solicitor with extensive litigation experience, both as an advocate and instructing counsel and Queens Counsel, and it is wrong, in my opinion, to use a finding of a Court to prop up a particular perspective in what is a scientific debate. Courts make findings on the evidence they are presented with, and often have to weigh up complex and contradictory evidence from experts in fields that they have no experience. In my experience few judges have scientific qualifications or experience. Courts get it right sometimes and they get it wrong sometimes.

Why does the author of that article seem to think the position he put in his evidence, which was not accepted by the Court in that case, has less worth than the contrary evidence put the experts engaged by the other party? Was the author giving evidence that he actually believed, or was he giving the evidence his client wanted him to give? If the former is true then he can still hold that opinion. If the latter then he is a "gun for hire", and that is soemthing most Courts in Australia are working to weed out of the judicial system by imposing clear rules on the role of experts when giving evidence to a Court.

In summary, I agree that some of the stats are a but suss, but at the end of the day I believe I am better to wear a helmet than not, and I accept it will not protect me from all injuries I might sustain if my head hits something, but I hope it lessens those injuries. If wearing a helmet was utterly useless then I would agree that helmets should not be worn, but whilst there is some benefit I will wear one. It is worth noting that I grew up at a time when no one wore helmets, and I hated wearing helmets when wearing them became compulsory in NSW (a state of Australia, for those who might not know). However, current helmets are more comfortable and seem easier to adjust so they fit correctly.

My 2 cents worth, which might only be worth less than 1 pence elsewhere.