Helmets and chamois cream?

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by Rompinrhino, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Rompinrhino

Rompinrhino New Member

Hi ladies, I have a few questions. My friend is just getting into cycling, and were trying to get the last few things that she'll need. The first question I have is what type of helmets are the ladies wearing. I'm trying to find a helmet that gives ample room for a ponytail. Something that will fit above the retention system I guess. What is everybody doing, and with what brand of helmet? The second question I have is related to the chamois. I know that for guys, we use the But But'r, I'm curious if this is acceptable for the ladies. The area down there is sensative, is it ok to put the cream on the shorts? I dont want her getting infected, or something. Please help, Dave :confused:

Tags:

2. Mellic

Mellic New Member

I know how difficult it can be at to find a helmet with enough space to fit a ponytail. A lot of girls wear their ponytails down very low when their helmet does not have room to fit it.

I like to wear my ponytail up higher and always buy a helmet with a well supported place to fit it. The helmet brands that have been good for me and that I would recommend are Giro and Met.

3. Rompinrhino

Rompinrhino New Member

This is exactly what I'm looking for, any more sugestions out there???

4. denisegoldberg

denisegoldberg New Member

Make sure you have your friend try the helmet - in my experience different brand helmets have different shapes. For me, the shape of Giro helmets work best, but obviously everyone's head is different, even without the ponytail. If this is a gift, make sure she can exchange it!

A comfortable helmet is one that is more likely to be worn. And I can tell you from experience that they should be worn since I took a bad crash from my bike back in May, and I would not have survived the crash if I hadn't been wearing my helmet - but of course I was... (See http://denise2004crash.crazyguyonabike.com if you're interested in my experience.)

5. Bunyip

Bunyip New Member

Rather than find a helmet to fit my hair, I swapped my ponytail for plaits when I ride now. I just feel like I'm getting more protection with the helmet covering most of my head (I hit the back of my head once - thank God for helmets!). As for chaffing, there was a suggestion by one poster a while back to go for diaper rash cream. It worked brilliantly for me! Any generic brand from your local grocery store would work.

6. AzzaC

AzzaC New Member

Some of the lower-end 'sport range' met helmets are popular and fit the pony-tails easily. However, I know that the Met 5th Element and Anaxagore helmets won't fit a ponytail through the head-retention device.

7. Rompinrhino

Rompinrhino New Member

Thanks everybody, we went out and got the helmet taken care of. We went with a Giro helmet.

8. Tank7404

Tank7404 New Member

Good choice on the Giro.. Made in my hang town and anything from Santa Cruz is well worth the money.

Mine is a xs, the retention system is awesome.

I wear mine for 8 hours 5 days a week.. sometimes longer.. So a good, comfortable helmet was well worth the investment.

Yes I agree allways wear your helmet, and allways make sure the chin straps are secured! Remember Love the pavement you ride on.. not LOOOOOOOVe the pavement!

Kole