Helmets and head shapes

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
Why are different helmet brands so head shape reliant? I have an oval shaped head and have found that Cannondale and Lazer fit me well. On the other hand, brands like Giro and Catlike are catered to rounder heads and don't fit me well at all. What helmet brands suit you well? Why don't helmet brands have more variety to suit different head sizes?

Lazer, Specialized, and Bell fit me well. Lazer is the most comfortable helmet brand that I've ever owned.

Giro, on the other hand---nope. Wrong head shape.

I always seem to struggle to find a helmet that fits me well. I am not sure what it is but I will get one and think that everything is okay for a week or so and then all of the sudden they all end up being uncomfortable. I am pretty cheap too so I am hesitant to just keep buying new ones. Maybe one day I will find a good one.

I think it's for the sole purpose of having as much variety as possible for bike shoppers. I think it's better than having just one shape for all buyers. This way, there will be enough choices to get the customers the perfect fit, and in turn, would give the most protection when it comes to accidents on the road. Comfort is the key, and head shapes determine whether you are going to be comfortable with the helmet that you are trying to purchase. With more choices, people can get the best helmet for their needs.

I think it's for the sole purpose of having as much variety as possible for bike shoppers. I think it's better than having just one shape for all buyers. This way, there will be enough choices to get the customers the perfect fit, and in turn, would give the most protection when it comes to accidents on the road. Comfort is the key, and head shapes determine whether you are going to be comfortable with the helmet that you are trying to purchase. With more choices, people can get the best helmet for their needs.

They aren't giving variety within their own brand though. Aren't they just losing profit to competitors? For example, a oval head like me will never buy a Giro or Catlike ever.

Helmet, knee and elbow protective gear is my fundamental equipment. Coupled with lights, mine are fox racing.I don't use body armor since I almost never do mountain cycling. Fox racing equipment is usually well armored and comfortable. I don't like buying other brand for protective gear but fox racing.

My head's more oval shaped than round, and for years I liked nothing but higher end Bell helmets. But during the last couple years, Giro's helmets have been getting longer, too. They still sit up kind of high, though, so they look like a mushroom on top of my head, and the side coverage and retention are a little lacking.

I was excited about Bontrager's new race helmet, but that one sits high, too. As do Specialized.

I see no reason to stop using Bell.

I think those helmet designs are meant to be proprietary in nature such as if you get a helmet for your oval head then there's a particular brand for it. Just my opinion on the design. But I agree that human heads have their own sizes and shapes so maybe I have to agree that design of helmets should be universal when it comes to particular size and shape of the head.

I like bell the best. I have used them for years and they have never dissapointed me, even in the event of a accident. Have saved my head more than countless times!

I like bell the best. I have used them for years and they have never dissapointed me, even in the event of a accident. Have saved my head more than countless times!

Gotta go with bell here.

Only helmet I've ever used so I guess that's why, I have quite a hard head but I don't trust the hardness of my head cracking off the concrete haha.

I never wear helmets as I absolutely hate how they feel on my head. I'll only wear a cap when I'm riding during hot and sunny days, but I know that it offers nothing in terms of protection. Most folks that ride bikes in my neck of the wood don't wear helmets either. I think it's a cultural thing that is linked to both the machismo and lackadaisical attitude of riders here.

I never wear helmets as I absolutely hate how they feel on my head. I'll only wear a cap when I'm riding during hot and sunny days, but I know that it offers nothing in terms of protection. Most folks that ride bikes in my neck of the wood don't wear helmets either. I think it's a cultural thing that is linked to both the machismo and lackadaisical attitude of riders here.

I wear helmets because I like how my head feels on my body....Heads get itchy once in a while, but damn...not wearing one is a death wish.

When it comes to buying the right helmet for our heads, it is a case of just trial and error I think and we do need to try on all the different brands to see what fits best.

In the cycle helmet manufacturers defence, they can't be expected to make a one size fits all helmet as there are that many different head shapes about, it would be virtually impossible.

To be honest I think that one helmet fits all, at the most we have small for kids and large for adults, unless there is something our of the ordinary.