Helmets are compulsory

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 23:57:37 +0100, Patrick Herring <[email protected]>
wrote:

>| Second, getting careless motorists off the roads is politically inexpedient.

>I disagree. It's quite easy to create a monster, the tabloids do it all
>the time. And the monster might get /you/ next time. I think "BAD
>DRIVERS KILL 10 EVERY DAY", to use your presentational style, is a line
>that could easily be effective.

I do not think that would happen, because the evidence suggests that
the bad drivers tend to think they are the elite, and when they start
getting hit by the "get bad drivers off the roads" campaign we will
have the usual self-serving shite about why are they being banned,
when all they were doing was exercising their manifestly superior
skills in their manifestly superior car.

I may be being cynical,of course, but I suspect that the ABD will be
out in force as soon as their members start getting banned. As far as
they (and most drivers) are concerned, fatalities are a problem of bad
driving, and bad driving is exhibited only by other drivers. After
all, if what they were doing was dangerous, they'd stop doing it,
wouldn't they?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

On 07/06/2005 10:59:29 "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I may be being cynical,of course, but I suspect that the ABD will be out
> in force as soon as their members start getting banned. As far as they
> (and most drivers) are concerned, fatalities are a problem of bad driving,
> and bad driving is exhibited only by other drivers. After all, if what
> they were doing was dangerous, they'd stop doing it, wouldn't they?

Cynical? You? Surely not.

--

Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Jon Senior wrote:
> Buck wrote:
> > Convert to shinty and injury is positively encouraged.

> Edinburgh Uni shinty team recruit new players by asking the players who
> have been sent off from hockey matches. Says it all really.
>
> Jon

Shinty is a totally new game to me. I assume from what I googled that
is is a rougher version of the Irish game of hurling?

I would have thought that full plate armour was de regiour for
something like this. Helmets be damned.

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada
(Where we play hockey on the ice. It reduces the power one can get when
slugging an opponent.)

John_Kane wrote:

> Shinty is a totally new game to me. I assume from what I googled that
> is is a rougher version of the Irish game of hurling?

Effectively a regional variation. In Ireland they play hurling, in
the Highlands it's shinty. You don't need to be a jessie to play
either, AFAICT...

> I would have thought that full plate armour was de regiour for
> something like this. Helmets be damned.

Giving people armour just means that ultimately it gets used as an
offensive weapon, either directly or indirectly.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK