Helmets are compulsory

On 2 Jul 2005 07:44:03 -0700, "TimB" <[email protected]> wrote:

>As a precaution, insist on BS approved helmets.

I refer the hon. gentleman to the current relevant Standard, EN 1078.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

Simon Brooke wrote:

> That's why /when/ I wear a helmet, I wear this one
> <URL:http://www.met-helmets.com/ProdottiDet.jsp?idrub=142&idcat=13>
>
> The overwhelming majority of falls I've seen which led to the head
> hitting the ground have been face-plants, which a conventional helmet
> offers no protection whatever against. I really cannot see the point of
> wearing a helmet which does not protect the most vulnerable and most
> delicate parts of the head.

Be aware though that there is research that shows that while such
helmets protect the jaw, they transfer the force of the impact to the
neck. Indeed it seems that nature did a good job of designing a neck
protecting crumple zone on the human head.

Which would you prefer, a broken jaw or a broken neck?

--
Tony

Anon

Buck wrote:

> It depends if the Kraken lived in the school swimming pool.

How big is your school swimming pool!

--
Tony

Anon

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 14:24:39 +0100, Tilly <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>The data from whole populations indicates that, if anything, the risk
>>of serious injury increases. You have to remember that the
>>probability of injury given crash is only half the story: the
>>probability of crash given ride also needs to be taken into account.

>OK. Lets look at the novice cyclist category. Where is there good
>evidence that helmets increase serious injury?

Reversed burden of proof. Where is the evidence they reduce the
incidence of serious injury, once crash frequency has been taken into
account?

>>Tilly, I asked for data showing that cycling is unusually dangerous.
>>Injury data form another country with no context (e.g. MV involvement,
>>comparable rates for pedestrians etc.) is not useful. Comparison of
>>child cyclists with all children in RTAs, failing to note the much
>>higher HI rate among child pedestrians, is not helpful.

>I haven't found any data that compares child cyclist head injury per
>distance or time with child pedestrian head injury per distance or
>time. If I did I would cite. Without that all I have is intuitive
>feeling, and my intuitive feeling it that for children time or
>distance on a bike runs a far far greater risk of head injury than
>time or distance on foot.

Right. But as has been shown many many times, intuitive feeling in
matters of risk management - not only helmets - is very often
completely wrong.

Which is why people like me tend to fall back on what data we do have,
which show the opposite of what you contend.

You want me to accept a position which is at odds with the data I
have, on the basis of your intuition. My intuition was completely
wrong on this, and I had to re-learn a lot of what I "knew" so you
will excuse me, I hope, if I prefer to ask for actual data.

>And I am disinclined to take either sides statements on trust, but am
>willing to interpret raw data from either side.

Then you have some reading to do :) I have a library of several
hundred documents on this subject, and it is far from complete.

>In other words, if I read that 10 child (0-15) cyclists died as a
>result of head injury on Britain's roads I would trust that data. But
>if I read that 85% of head injury deaths would be prevented from
>helmet use I would not trust it.

Good. The former is available in Hansard, the latter comes as you
know from the 1989 Seattle study, the most widely-cited pro-helmet
paper in the world.

So, which raw data did you use to come to the judgment that helmets
reduce injury?

>>>That says nothing to convince me that telling a 4-9 year old novice
>>>cyclist to wear a helmet is wrong.

>>As I say, that is a reversal of the burden of proof. What evidence is
>>there to say it is right?

>Most children in the 4 - 9 age group do not have the cognitive skills
>to make a balanced decision.

No, no, you're begging the question again. We don't expect them to
make a rational decision on wearing a helmet while crossing the road,
because we don't think it's that dangerous. But the risk from
crossing the road is massively higher than that from riding (almost
all pedestrian injuries are sustained while crossing roads).

I am not questioning who makes the decision, I am questioning the
basis on which we assume a decision needs to be made in the first
place!

>>>For novice (4-9) cyclists:
>>>#1 They are unlikely to have the skills to take responsibility for
>>>cycle maintenance.

>>But we, as adults, do that for them.

>Yes. While training children it is the instructor's responsibility,
>but every lesson I take starts will a basic bike check, initially with
>me checking, then children checking each other's bikes, and at the end
>of the course them checking their own bikes: it's more difficult to
>check your own bike than someone else's.

My kids check their own and I double-check, but whatever.

>>>#2 This is what they are learning.

>>Neither of my children ever hit their head while learning to ride a
>>bike. Going down a slide, yes, but not riding a bike. Do you not
>>accept that the feeling of protection might encourage them to be less
>>careful? Might it interfere with the body's well-conditioned
>>protective reflexes?

>No. I understand what you say, but think that people rarely consider
>their helmet, consciously or sub consciously when riding, and that
>keeping safe is an overriding concern of cyclists.

So you say, but the limited published research on the issue disagrees.
There is a set of criteria for protective measures which will not
result in balancing behaviour, which helmets fail on two or three out
of four counts, and Mok et. al. demonstrated increased willingness to
take risks specifically in the case of children wearing cycle helmets.

You are forgetting, crashes are caused in the main not by the taking
of large risks, but by the taking of small risks very large numbers of
times.

Think of it like walking along a cliff. The closer you are to the
edge, the more likely you will fall off, even though the absolute
change in risk for each incremental move towards the edge is
imperceptible.

>>>#3 and #4 are irrelevant for playground cycling.

>>No, they are entirely relevant to cycling. You are not teaching them
>>so they can ride round the playground, you are teaching them so they
>>can have independent mobility, which is a precious thing denied to
>>many children in our increasingly hysterical society.

>They are relevant to cycling but not for novices. I would not
>consider speaking to a novice about road positioning when teaching
>them to cycle to Level 1A (get on and off the bike without help; start
>off and pedal without help; stop without help; ride along without help
>for at least one minute; make the bike go where they want), although I
>do at Level 1B (use their gears; stop quickly with control; manoeuvre
>safely to avoid objects; look all around, including behind, without
>wobbling; signal right and left without wobbling; carry out a simple
>bike check.)

My kids learned to ride bikes for transport.

>Light coloured clothing or hi-vis is of no benefit in the playground
>and do nothing to reduce risk.

There's not a lot of evidence it makes a difference on the road,
either...

>>>Which moves #5 to position #1 - unless I have missed something.

>>And no. 5 says: it may reduce the severity of some kinds of injury,
>>but won't make accidents less likely. Both of these are
>>question-begging to a degree. The first assumes that the injuries
>>prevented merit concern, the second that the feeling of protection
>>will not result in more risks being taken. I believe this is false,
>>and there is at least one paper which shows that helmeted children
>>will take more risks.

>I would say that children will only take more risks for a specific
>manoeuvre, not for general cycling.

But the only actual published peer-reviewed evidence of which I'm
aware says the opposite.

>>>I stand by my claim that it makes absolute sense for novice cyclists
>>>(4-9 years) to be compelled to wear helmets by those in loco parentis.

>>The word "absolute" is problematic. I can see no objective standard
>>by which that statement can be made or defended.

>I am quite happy to remove the word "absolute" from that statement.

I doff my cotton cycling cap to you, madam. Were you to say that in
your view it makes sense, then the statement would be (almost ;-)
uncontroversial.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 14:51:07 +0100, Tilly <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>The problem here is that the same applies to children of that age
>>doing anything else. Young children are always falling over, it is
>>expected. What is the relevant difference between cycling and any
>>other activity in which children of that age take part?

>It's not a lot different.

Y'see, that's what I said all along ;-)

>Using PE apparatus I may put mats out.

Really? Even with the recent research showing it causes them to land
more heavily and break bones? OK, I admit I was brought up short by
that when my school told me about it, but I can see how it works.

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 10:48:08 +0100, "Peter Crosland" <[email protected]> wrote:

>In order to prove that making the wearing
>of helmets compulsory was an act of negligence in court would, IMHO, be very
>hard indeed. On the other hand if a child was injured who was not wearing a
>helmet the question of negligence might well be much easier to prove.

So, let's get this straight.

You're saying that, although all evidence is that where helmet wearing is
compulsary, the incidence of head injury increases, compeling some one to wear a
helmet would not tend to be considered negligent by a court, but not compeling
them would be.

So you force someone to do something that is known to increase the risk of head
injury and that's not negligent, but if you don't force someone to do something
that is known to increase the risk of head injury, that is negligent.

I know that there is a commonly held belief that a lot of our judges are senile
and out of touch, but this seems to be bizzare in the extreme! Or am I missing
something?

Rob

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 17:20:44 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I read the items you refered to as well as a number of others. My overall
>impression from this is that the information on the subject is riddled with
>inconsistancies, and that there is not a really clear case for or against
>the sort of protective headgear currently available. Having said that
>because of the general blame culture, and particularly that associated with
>school children, the Governors would be wise to seek written agreement from
>the parent that they accept that there is a potential risk and that they
>accept that. A very sad state of affairs!

The relevant sections of the old consent form read:

Children will need a bike in good working order; I can make minor
adjustments to saddle and handlebar heights. Whether or not your
child wears a helmet is between you and your child but you must tell
us what you decide and you must ensure they bring it with them and it
must fit correctly or be adjustable to fit correctly.

I want my child to wear a cycle helmet...
I do not want my child to wear a cycle helmet...
It is up to my child to decide if they wear a helmet...

I give consent for my child to take part in on-road cycle training...

=============

The relevant section of the new consent form will be something like
this:

Children will need a bike in good working order; I can make minor
adjustments to saddle and handlebar heights. Your child must wear a
correctly fitting helmet. If the helmet doesn't fit correctly and
cannot be adjusted to fit correctly they may be loaned a helmet or
excluded from the training session. If there is a cultural, physical
or other reason for your child not wearing a helmet you should contact
the headteacher.

In can confirm that my child has a bike in good working order and has
a correctly fitting helmet. I give consent for my child to take part
in on-road cycle training...

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 15:57:43 +0100, Tilly <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>I am open to persuasion. At least, I think I am. I have been
>>persuaded to change my mind once on this issue, after all.

>How about a little anecdotal evidence based on my limited experience
>as a cycling instructor.

An unpromising start - my views on anecdotal "evidence" are well-known
:)

>I conclude on this very low data that a child is about 12 times more
>likely to have an incident in the playground than on the road, and
>that a novice cyclist is about 76.5 times more likely to have an
>incident than a cyclist with at least some experience.

Maybe. And the only injury was trivial. So, maybe it's not that
dangerous after all!

>This anecdotal evident supports that which I have already said: a
>child is more likely to be injured in the playground when cycling
>skills are being challenged than on the road where real life
>situations are being explored. And that a novice is more likely to
>suffer an injury than a cyclist with some experience.

Sure. But what evidence is there that this applies when learning
cycling any more than when learning any other activity? Kids are
forever being cut and bruised learning new games. One of my
schoolmates lost all his front teeth to a cricket ball.

>It also supports CTUK's risk assessment: for a complete novice the
>risk of a fall is high, for all other riders the risk is very low.
>Can we agree that it is far more likely for a complete novice to
>suffer a fall?

Yes

>Can we then go on to agree that it is far more likely for a complete
>novice to suffer a head injury?

Of what severity?

I can say with fair confidence that babies are far more likely to
suffer a head injury learning to walk than adults are to suffer as
head injury while walking. Only a few mad zealots in the States
advocate helmets for children learning to walk.

>Can we also agree that for the type of fall likely to be suffered by a
>complete novice helmets are most effective.

I'm sure they are also very effective against trips and falls, but I
still can't see a reason for compelling kids to wear them.

>Can we then go on to agree a wording to the effect of: *While cycling
>is a safe and healthy activity, it makes good sense for complete
>novices to wear helmets when learning to ride a bicycle in a school
>playground.*

I wouldn't particularly disagree. But neither would I force the
issue. I generally say nothing more than: if you fall, a helmet might
prevent a cut or a nasty headache.

FWIW, for their few attempts at riding a bike my kids wore knee and
elbow pads, gloves and helmets. And if they are in the park now and
pick up their bike without the helmet to ride round for a bit, I let
them. I have seen hysterical mothers running with the damned things
and screaming to their kids to stop, when they are riding round on a
well-mown grass playing field with almost no chance of injury at all.
Bubble-wrap kids.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 16:08:39 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Peter
>Crosland ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>>> I think the problem in asking this question is that the majority of
>>> uk.legal will have poor comprehension of the apparent efficacy cycle
>>> helmets. Specifically, many will probably assume that a cycle helmet
>>> will always reduce injury.

>> That is not the criteria as I see it. The question that should be
>> considered is will a helmet reduce injuries in more instances than it
>> exacerbates them?

>The available evidence is slightly against that position. There is a
>small positive correlation between helmet wearing rates and serious
>injury rates - i.e. on the available statistical evidence you are
>slightly more likely to have a serious injury if you wear a helmet than
>if you do not. No-one has yet come up with a convincing account of
>_why_ this is so, but _that_ it is so is not really open to doubt.

The DfT think it is, particularly with regard to children:

http://tinyurl.com/a8s6x
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/grou...page/dft_rdsafety_507998-13.hcsp#P1946_167770

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 17:46:07 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 14:51:07 +0100, Tilly <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>>The problem here is that the same applies to children of that age
>>>doing anything else. Young children are always falling over, it is
>>>expected. What is the relevant difference between cycling and any
>>>other activity in which children of that age take part?

>>It's not a lot different.

>Y'see, that's what I said all along ;-)

And risk assessments are carried out and special safety equipment used
as appropriate. Harnesses and straps for toddlers walking on the
pavement are not an uncommon sight.

>>Using PE apparatus I may put mats out.

>Really? Even with the recent research showing it causes them to land
>more heavily and break bones? OK, I admit I was brought up short by
>that when my school told me about it, but I can see how it works.

My use of the word *may* was deliberate. You are better informed than
I gave you credit.

Putting mats under ropes etc. encourages children to jump from a
height that they might not otherwise jump and is not advisable.
However, learning to jump correctly is part of PE, and when doing so
it is safe and correct for children to jump onto a mat. There is also
some apparatus that children want to jump off as part of a gymnastic
movement, swing bars and hoops, for example. It is correct to use
mats in those situations.

Crash mats are a good idea when there is a significant risk that
children may fall. They are specifically not for jumping onto.

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 17:17:54 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Tilly wrote:
>>

>> And is that not also misleading: the elderly and infirm are among the
>> most likely groups to suffer a fall while walking but among the least
>> likely to be riding a bike, as just one example of how it's
>> misleading.
>>

>Curious then that the OECD study on vulnerable road users showed that
>the 0-14 cyclist to pedestrian fatality ratio was roughly the same as
>the 65+ cyclist to pedestrian fatality ratio

Hence my use of the word among.

How does the 15-64 cyclist to ped fatality ratio compare?

>> What I hoped to show was that novice cyclists are most likely to fall
>> and therefore most likely to suffer a head injury. The type of fall
>> they are most likely to suffer is the type of fall a helmet is most
>> likely to minimise injury.
>>

>Seems in all the personal experienced you posted, in 154 hours cycling
>and six incidents, the worst outcome was one graze which would have been
>better prevented by wearing suitable clothing/gloves or carrying out the
>training, as someone else suggested, on grass.

So cycling's a safe activity. There's no harm in making it safer
still. Preparing children for on-road cycling is not practical on
grass.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> FWIW, for their few attempts at riding a bike my kids wore knee and
> elbow pads, gloves and helmets. And if they are in the park now and
> pick up their bike without the helmet to ride round for a bit, I let
> them. I have seen hysterical mothers running with the damned things
> and screaming to their kids to stop, when they are riding round on a
> well-mown grass playing field with almost no chance of injury at all.
> Bubble-wrap kids.

"In most industrialized nations today, parents are increasingly worried
about the threats to children,....... As a result, children may be
missing out on the necessary process of pushing the boundaries of their
experience and judgement, developing their own sense of risk and
danger, and taking progressive responsibility for their own lives.
They are therefore likely to be at even greater risk when they
eventually reach the age of independent action without having learnt
some of its most essential skills."
UNICEF League Table of Child Deaths by Injurys in Rich Nation Feb 2001

"Parents today are keeping their children too protected for them to be
able to develop good risk awareness. They are not developing in the way
that kids used to. Many are simply not aware of the dangers of the
outside world."
RoSPA spokesperson in ‘Big Rise in Child Drowning Accidents’, Guardian,
9 October 2000.

--
Tony

Anon

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 16:13:25 GMT, Buck
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 07/02/2005 16:57:37 Tilly <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 15:41:47 GMT, Buck <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>> Did any of the incidents involve the childs helmet hitting the ground?

>> No.

>Well in that case, your position on the likely hood of children haveing more
>accidents may be justified but by your own statement, your requirement for
>helmet usage in totally un justified, you have to agree that helmet wearing
>has not prevented one injury in any of the incidents that have occurred
>while you have been training the kids.

A significant blow to the head may come only once every 10,000 cycling
hours or once every 10,000,000 cycling hours. But is likely to be a
more significant risk for novice cyclists given that their risk of
falling is high.

- Please fix your line length.

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 17:04:20 +0100, "Tony W"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>PS -- I did suffer a fairly major fall aged 11. Broken arm, broken teeth,
>lacerations (fairly minor though quite scary enough for my Gran) to face,
>arms and knees -- slight concussion. All (except for the teeth that had to
>be crowned) mended naturally with a vanishingly small amount of scaring. I
>have no evidence -- but given the exact form of the injuries I suspect that
>a helmet would have been of very limited effect. It would have not
>protected my arm (which did its job of breaking my fall), or knees. It
>might have protected my forehead (where the lacerations were very minor) and
>reduced the concussion at the expense of tipping my head further back so
>exposing my chin and mouth to additional damage. In extremis it may have
>caused some neck injuries.

Do you know if the DfT would record this as a serious or slight
injury?

I've always guessed that a serious injury is a fracture above the
knees or elbow, blood loss requiring replacement, internal bleeding, a
blockage of the airway, a cardiac arrest, loss of one or more eyes,
etc. A minor injury being fracture below the elbow or knee, broken
digits, a broken rib not causing a puncture, bruising, lacerations,
etc.

Tilly wrote:

>>Curious then that the OECD study on vulnerable road users showed that
>>the 0-14 cyclist to pedestrian fatality ratio was roughly the same as
>>the 65+ cyclist to pedestrian fatality ratio

> Hence my use of the word among.

But its not misleading because it is correct and your assertion about
age related differences in the two cohorts is wrong

> How does the 15-64 cyclist to ped fatality ratio compare?

That data is not given but since the all ages ratio is similar it must
be too.

> So cycling's a safe activity. There's no harm in making it safer
> still.

From your evidence that would involve mandatory long trousers, long
sleeved tops and gloves first and helmets last.

--
Tony

Anon

"Tilly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> So cycling's a safe activity.

True

> There's no harm in making it safer
> still.

True -- training should help to achieve this.

> Preparing children for on-road cycling is not practical on
> grass.

Maybe, maybe not. A significant part of your playground training could
equally well be conducted on a reasonably dry, well mown lawn such as is
found on many school playing fields (OK -- I know Thatcher sold them all --
especially those attached to primary schools), recreation grounds or
parks -- surely? Isn't the playground part largely to do with gaining
confidence and developing control of the bike?

OK, in the end you need to be convinced they can handle themselves on tarmac
before you let them lose on the roads -- but the basics of riding, steering,
braking and just plain having fun controlling the bike can surely be
practiced on grass.

Tilly wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 17:04:20 +0100, "Tony W"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>PS -- I did suffer a fairly major fall aged 11. Broken arm, broken teeth,
>>lacerations (fairly minor though quite scary enough for my Gran) to face,
>>arms and knees -- slight concussion. All (except for the teeth that had to
>>be crowned) mended naturally with a vanishingly small amount of scaring. I
>>have no evidence -- but given the exact form of the injuries I suspect that
>>a helmet would have been of very limited effect. It would have not
>>protected my arm (which did its job of breaking my fall), or knees. It
>>might have protected my forehead (where the lacerations were very minor) and
>>reduced the concussion at the expense of tipping my head further back so
>>exposing my chin and mouth to additional damage. In extremis it may have
>>caused some neck injuries.

> Do you know if the DfT would record this as a serious or slight
> injury?

Serious injury and traumatic head injury.

--
Tony

Anon

>>In order to prove that making the wearing
>>of helmets compulsory was an act of negligence in court would, IMHO, be
>>very
>>hard indeed. On the other hand if a child was injured who was not wearing
>>helmet the question of negligence might well be much easier to prove.

> So, let's get this straight.
>
> You're saying that, although all evidence is that where helmet wearing is
> compulsary, the incidence of head injury increases, compeling some one to
> wear a
> helmet would not tend to be considered negligent by a court, but not
> compeling
> them would be.
>
> So you force someone to do something that is known to increase the risk of
> head
> injury and that's not negligent, but if you don't force someone to do
> something
> that is known to increase the risk of head injury, that is negligent.
>
> I know that there is a commonly held belief that a lot of our judges are
> senile
> and out of touch, but this seems to be bizzare in the extreme! Or am I
> missing
> something?

I think so! I am saying that the burden of proof may be very difficult in
one case and not so much in the other. The responses on here and the
information I have read does not in a strict evidential sense support the
proposition that wearing helmets is more dangerous than not doing so.
Remember the court will look at in great detail in relation to the
particular case. That is the whole essence of actually proving something
rather than just seeking an opinion.

Peter Crosland

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 16:55:03 GMT, [email protected] (Rob) wrote:

>I know that there is a commonly held belief that a lot of our judges are senile
>and out of touch, but this seems to be bizzare in the extreme! Or am I missing
>something?

What you are missing is the fact that nearly all official and
professional advice is that helmets reduce the risk of certain types
of head injury and that it is especially beneficial for children and
novice cyclists to wear helmets.

Many here argue that the advice is based on flawed research, and
indeed there is plenty of evidence to suggest that some of the
research and conclusions are flawed. But is would be mistake to
suggest that all the official and professional advice is wrong.

--
Peter Crosland
> The relevant sections of the old consent form read:
>
> Children will need a bike in good working order; I can make minor
> adjustments to saddle and handlebar heights. Whether or not your
> child wears a helmet is between you and your child but you must tell
> us what you decide and you must ensure they bring it with them and it
> must fit correctly or be adjustable to fit correctly.
>
> I want my child to wear a cycle helmet...
> I do not want my child to wear a cycle helmet...
> It is up to my child to decide if they wear a helmet...
>
> I give consent for my child to take part in on-road cycle training...
>
> =============
>
> The relevant section of the new consent form will be something like
> this:
>
> Children will need a bike in good working order; I can make minor
> adjustments to saddle and handlebar heights. Your child must wear a
> correctly fitting helmet. If the helmet doesn't fit correctly and
> cannot be adjusted to fit correctly they may be loaned a helmet or
> excluded from the training session. If there is a cultural, physical
> or other reason for your child not wearing a helmet you should contact
> the headteacher.
>
> In can confirm that my child has a bike in good working order and has
> a correctly fitting helmet. I give consent for my child to take part
> in on-road cycle training...

Sounds very good to me but if you really want to know get professional
advice from an expert in the field of negligence.