Helmets are compulsory

Tilly <[email protected]> wrote:
| I stand by my claim that it makes absolute sense for novice cyclists
| (4-9 years) to be compelled to wear helmets by those in loco parentis.
|
| I would appreciate hearing some grunts of approval from those in this
| group who broadly agree but who may feel too intimidated to comment.

I'm afraid this is a grunt of disagreement, though not strong. My
instinct is to maximse the learning experience by taking away protection
that isn't absolutely needed. But I'm not a trainer nor a teacher,
governor or parent.

--
Patrick Herring, http://www.anweald.co.uk/ph

At Sat, 02 Jul 2005 22:06:23 +0100, message
<[email protected]> was posted by Tony Raven
<[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the following:

>M.D. Sage, F.J. Cairns, T.D. Koelmeyer and W.M.I. Smeeton, "Fatal
>injuries to bicycle riders in Auckland", NZ Med J, Vol 98, No793,
>pp1073-1074, 1985

Bingo! Thanks. I knew I'd seen it.

"This study indicates that compulsory wearing of suitable safety
helmets by cyclists is unlikely to lead to a great reduction in fatal
injuries, despite their enthusiastic advocacy. Injuries of fatal
severity to multiple organ systems were seen in sixteen of twenty
riders, including six with no significant head injury. Only four
riders died of fatal injury to head alone and one of these was the
only rider know to be wearing a safety helmet. His death resulted from
a fall from a bicycle at moderate speed rather than collision with a
motor vehicle. Nonetheless, this does not exclude the possibility that
a significant reduction in severity of non-fatal injuries to the head
might result if helmets are worn, or some fatalities have already been
avoided by their use."

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 22:33:52 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>Can we say that we have reached broad consensus and respect for each
>>other's views?

>Oh I think so. I am not trying to get you to change your mind, just
>to turn your thinking entirely on it head. But I am not very good at
>that (John Adams is much better - do read Risk, it is very
>enlightening).

We were aware of many of the same issues.

At Sat, 02 Jul 2005 22:24:09 +0100, message
<[email protected]> was posted by Tilly
<[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the
following:

>>Oh FFS! Listen: We are told that 50% of child cyclist injuries in
>>Iran are head injuries or some such. That is *meaningless* without
>>context.

>It is not meaningless.
>If 0.00000001% of child cyclist injuries in Iran were head injuries it
>would hardly be worth looking at ways to reduce that figure. A freak
>accident every 100 years is barely worth a second thought. But if you
>can find a way to reduce the possibility of 55% of injuries it is
>worth some considerable thought.

So, you put in place a multi-million pound helmet programme, and then
you go to get the full data and find that all those injuries were
sustained when hit by fast-moving cars with defective brakes. You fix
the brakes and the head injury problem goes away.

Or: you eliminate child cycling head injury altogether and then
discover that this was only 0.5% of all head injuries, so you have
left the problem substantially unaddressed.

Or: you discover that the head injury rate for cyclists of 50% is
substantially lower than that for pedestrians because cyclists have
learned to fall properly.

See what I mean?

>Some would have a field day with the 55% Iranian figure and your 40%
>UK figure for child head injuries.

Indeed. But the (less than) 40% figure for the UK is typical for all
injuries and less than for pedestrians.

>Just for devilment I'll have a bit of fun with the data:

But there you are, you see, when New Zealand tried that experiment it
made no measurable difference. which suggests to me that either the
solution doesn't work, or the problem has been incorrectly identified.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 21:40:14 GMT, Buck
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 07/02/2005 22:27:46 Tilly <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:21:21 GMT, Buck <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>> I see no evidence to support that claim even within your own posts, it is
>>> merely speculative

>> Yes, it was intended to be.

>>> I have rewrapped my lines, your's needs some work to.

>> I haven't had someone say that to me for several years. I have mine set
>> at 70. Is that above the Usenet standard?

>I thought the standard was 80, my client throws wobblies from time to
>time, your first line above has 75 by the way.

My newsreader shows the line ending after the word *mine* (68). It
seems that your NR has adjusted it to end after the word *set*. My NR
isn't set to or won't adjust the line length of quoted lines. I have
*word wrap quoted-printable messages* checked in the options/poster
preferences window.

Is there a problem with being below the 80 standard? I thought there
was a recommended range. 55 - 80 perhaps?

On 07/02/2005 22:48:56 "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

> At Sat, 02 Jul 2005 21:01:32 GMT, message
> <[email protected]> was posted by Buck
> <[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the
> following:

>>> Your kids don't walk? *boggle*!

>> You really are inane at times,

> So you say, but walking was the specific activity with which I contrasted
> the risks of cycling.

But this was all part of the circumstancial disagreement on perceived
correlation that we had earlier and therefore contectually not relevant.

>>> And you are this: wrong.

>> In your opinion, but IMHO you are wrong.

> Your opinion is not humble, and I venture to suggest that I know my aims
> better than you do.

Tetchy.

>>> Let's just replay that: "No one here is arguing that cycling is any more
>>> or less dangerous than anything else." And yet, uniquely, it is singled
>>> out for special protective equipment!

>> I'm not sure what your point is here other than to indulge yourself.

> Then we are both wasting our time.

Even more tetchy, perhaps you should get some sleep.

>>> Oh FFS! Listen: We are told that 50% of child cyclist injuries in Iran
>>> are head injuries or some such. That is *meaningless* without context.
>>> A bit under 40% of British child cyclist injuries are head injuries. Is
>>> that significant? Does our view of its significance change when we hear
>>> that this is, in fact, about average for all types of injury? That the
>>> percentage in pedestrian injuries is rather higher? Without context we
>>> can tell *nothing* from that Iranian figure! For all we know this may
>>> be much lower than for any other activity! But Graitcer and his merry
>>> band trot the statistic out in typical "BIKE DANGER! SCARY HEAD
>>> INJURIES!" style.

>>> This is only tangentially related to the Japan comment, which was simply
>>> to say that while you ridicule the comparison with pedestrians, the
>>> Japanese took it sufficiently seriously to mount a study (with - to us-
>>> predictable results).

>> I am not ridiculing the comparison, you are making un founded
>> accusations. Nothing new for a zealot of course and what I expect from
>> you.

> A zealot acts on convictions and is not amenable to evidence. I have
> changed my views on many things in response to evidence. I have taken the
> trouble to read literally hundreds of papers on this subject, and I think
> that makes me tolerably well-informed. Maybe I'm a scepticism zealot -
> mad keen for everybody to read the source data :)

> What, precisely, would you infer from the Iranian data, taken in
> isolation?

Just what it says, that x number of head injuries occurred in children
during cycling, it does not say what type of head injury and in no way
constitutes a reason for the compulsion of helmet use, but equally neither
does a study in Japan on walking negate the use of cycle helmets for
school children in the U.K.

>> So in my experience and infinitely higher number people have died within
>> my group of friends while cycling, are'nt statistics great?

> That's not statistics, it's anecdote. Overall the statistics form many
> populations numbering many tens of millions of cyclists is that helmets do
> not improve cyclist safety, and if anything make it worse.

It is not anecdote, it is based entirely on fact and is as valid as any other
factual based but limited example.

>>> *given* that a crash occurs. But the 1989 Seattle study also shows that
>>> helmeted riders were seven times more likely to crash...

>> With no given reason therefore anecdotal.

> Eh? The Seattle study shows that helmeted riders are seven times more
> likely to hit their heads. It's not anecdote, it's in the published data.
> The authors don't point it out, of course, but it's there nonetheless.

Yet my experience above is anecdotal? Double standards methinks.

> Of course, you could reject that on the grounds that the 1989 Seattle
> study is bollocks - I'd have no problem agreeing with that. But then you
> have to start out down the thorny path of identifying a pro-helmet study
> which *isn't* bollocks, and that could take a while. You then have to
> account for the fact that the predictions of these studies have *never*
> been supported by trends in *any* real population.

> So it's a mass of contradictory data, and the only sane response is to
> allow everybody to make their own informed choice. Which was my point,
> really.

>>> Which one?

>> The effect on behaviour for one.

> "Risk compensation in children’s activities: A pilot study", Mok D, Gore
> G, Hagel B, Mok E, Magdalinos H, Pless B. 2004. Paediatr Child
> Health: Vol 9 No 5 May/June 2004

> "The results indicate that risk compensation may modify the effectiveness
> of PE for children engaged in sports and leisure activities. Conversely,
> the findings also suggest that those wearing PE may be a cautious
> subgroup."

Where did the word "may" in the first line of the above change to "will"
in order to support your argument?

A meteor may hit the planet next week and kill us all, ok, we may as well
give up now then, come on Guy.

> Which, I guess makes them zealots as well. Except that Barry Pless has
> been calling for helmet compulsion for years and previously denied the
> possibility that risk compensation might happen...

>>> It is an insanely complex issue. Unfortunately there is a large and
>>> influential group of people who want to force their extremely simplistic
>>> view of it on others.

>> Or indeed their complex but not altogethor mitigated view on others.

> Absolutely. I am determined to force informed choice on everybody,
> whether they like it or not.

There is no "informed" choice in this as the two sides have intensly
formed ideas based on numerous "jaded" reports, the best idea is to base
choice on personal experience and gut instinct but that is invalid and
anecdotal.

The problem I see is that if you dress something up as "official" it
becomes fact regardless of actual fact based on real experience, my
friend who died on a bicycle, really died, but the fact is disregarded
and indeed demeaned because it is not dressed up in some super document
supported by an expert in worm wrestling.

I do not consider his death a good reason for helmet compulsion but do
consider it a valid reason to state that cycling can result in death,
there were no other vehicles involved, so in that factual context, cycling
can be dangerous, period!

--

Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 21:04:53 GMT, Buck
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> I have learnt a thing or two in the last 72 hours. But my fundamental
>> stance has altered little: It is preferable for children to wear helmets
>> as part of an informed discussion with their parents than because they
>> have been told they must. It makes good sense for complete novices to
>> wear helmets when learning to ride a bicycle in a school playground and
>> there is a good case for a school to have a compulsory helmet policy for
>> novice cyclists during training.

>Even though your own experience does not support this?

My own limited experience supports the intuitive feeling that a novice
is more likely to lose control of their bike than an experienced
cyclist. There's insufficient evidence to make a judgement on head
injury - and I hope that remains the case.

On 07/02/2005 23:19:04 Tilly <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 21:40:14 GMT, Buck <[email protected]>
> wrote:

>> On 07/02/2005 22:27:46 Tilly <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Yes, it was intended to be.

>>> I haven't had someone say that to me for several years. I have mine set
>>> at 70. Is that above the Usenet standard?

>> I thought the standard was 80, my client throws wobblies from time to
>> time, your first line above has 75 by the way.

> My newsreader shows the line ending after the word *mine* (68). It seems
> that your NR has adjusted it to end after the word *set*. My NR isn't set
> to or won't adjust the line length of quoted lines. I have *word wrap
> quoted-printable messages* checked in the options/poster preferences
> window.

> Is there a problem with being below the 80 standard? I thought there was
> a recommended range. 55 - 80 perhaps?

At this point it all gets a bit nerdy for me, sorry:-(

--

Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Response to Buck:
> It is not anecdote, it is based entirely on fact and is as valid as any other
> factual based but limited example.

LOL! You are Sir Humphrey Appleby AICMFP.

I do like "factual based but limited example", and may consider adopting
it in place of "anecdotal evidence" in future myself. ;-)

--
Mark, UK

"A wartime Minister of Information is compelled, in the national
interest, to such continuous acts of duplicity that even his natural hair
must grow to resemble a wig."

On 07/02/2005 23:24:59 Tilly <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 21:04:53 GMT, Buck <[email protected]>
> wrote:

>>> I have learnt a thing or two in the last 72 hours. But my fundamental
>>> stance has altered little: It is preferable for children to wear helmets
>>> as part of an informed discussion with their parents than because they
>>> have been told they must. It makes good sense for complete novices to
>>> wear helmets when learning to ride a bicycle in a school playground and
>>> there is a good case for a school to have a compulsory helmet policy for
>>> novice cyclists during training.

>> Even though your own experience does not support this?

> My own limited experience supports the intuitive feeling that a novice is
> more likely to lose control of their bike than an experienced cyclist.
> There's insufficient evidence to make a judgement on head injury - and I
> hope that remains the case.

I'm just playing devils advocate because I have never quite made up my
mind on helmet use, I insist my kids wear them, but they can make their
own decision when they get older, hopefully they will go the route to
true cycling joy and convert to trikes. At which point helmet use is
largely irrelevant.

--

On 07/02/2005 23:31:33 Mark McNeill <[email protected]> wrote:

> Response to Buck:

>> It is not anecdote, it is based entirely on fact and is as valid as any
>> other factual based but limited example.

> LOL! You are Sir Humphrey Appleby AICMFP.

> I do like "factual based but limited example", and may consider adopting
> it in place of "anecdotal evidence" in future myself. ;-)

Just like every example thus far presented. If I publish it as a two
line paper with a pile of BS attached it suddenly becomes law.

All sides in this quagmire run on anecdotal evidence, a lot of it
completely fictional I am sure.

I think at least you saw through my irony even if it was wasted on
others.
--

Mark McNeill wrote:
> Response to Buck:
>
>>It is not anecdote, it is based entirely on fact and is as valid as any other
>>factual based but limited example.

> LOL! You are Sir Humphrey Appleby AICMFP.
>
> I do like "factual based but limited example", and may consider adopting
> it in place of "anecdotal evidence" in future myself. ;-)

You might also consider "a statistical sample of one"

--
Tony

Anon

On 07/02/2005 23:45:17 Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> Response to Buck:

>>> It is not anecdote, it is based entirely on fact and is as valid as any
>>> other factual based but limited example.

>> LOL! You are Sir Humphrey Appleby AICMFP.

>> I do like "factual based but limited example", and may consider adopting
>> it in place of "anecdotal evidence" in future myself. ;-)

> You might also consider "a statistical sample of one"

I was impressed with my near infinite example by comparison line,
therefore elevating my statement from anecdotal to "extensive study".
--

Buck wrote:

> All sides in this quagmire run on anecdotal evidence, a lot of it
> completely fictional I am sure.

You misunderstand then the whole basis of this issue. It is the
conflict between the anecdotal and small sample evidence vs whole
population epidemiology (largest study 8 million people). The former
says "a helmet saved my life" while the latter say doubling helmet
wearing overnight did not change cyclist head injuries one iota in a
whole country population but did stop many people cycling.

--
Tony

Anon

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 19:31:03 +0100,
Mark McNeill <[email protected]> wrote:
> Response to Just zis Guy, you know?:
>> One of my
>> schoolmates lost all his front teeth to a cricket ball.

> We've *all* got schoolmates who LATFTTACB! :-Ð
>
> I didn't quite manage that, but I *did* get a cricket bat at full speed
> on the forehead when I was wicket-keeping: I lost consciousness briefly,

The worst I heard of at school was in a hockey match. I think that three
people were sent to hospital (and one other was injured but not badly).
This was between two teams of the same age.

We also had an annual hockey tournament (handicapped) between all the years
and forms (so you could have 11/12 year olds playing 17/18 year olds) which
stopped whilst I was there due to not being able to get insurance despite
no serious injuries (a few turned ankles and whacked shins) having occurred
in the previous 6 years that I had played / watched.

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

Andy Leighton wrote:

> The worst I heard of at school was in a hockey match. I think that three
> people were sent to hospital (and one other was injured but not badly).
> This was between two teams of the same age.

Worst at our school was a javelin through the leg.

--
Tony

Anon

On 07/03/2005 00:08:19 Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> Buck wrote:

>> All sides in this quagmire run on anecdotal evidence, a lot of it
>> completely fictional I am sure.

> You misunderstand then the whole basis of this issue. It is the conflict
> between the anecdotal and small sample evidence vs whole population
> epidemiology (largest study 8 million people). The former says "a helmet
> saved my life" while the latter say doubling helmet wearing overnight did
> not change cyclist head injuries one iota in a whole country population
> but did stop many people cycling.

I misunderstand all sorts of things, like how me saying that head injuries
do not mean cycle helmets should be compulsory turns into "Buck says
everyone should wear cycle helmets".

I understand the basis of the issue completely and have complete faith
that the parties involved on both sides will, without doubt, always fail
to represent to true facts in any meaningful way, that will allow people
to make informed choice based on truth rather than conjecture.

Cynic? Me? No, I just realise the truth about human nature.

--

On 07/03/2005 00:14:32 Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> Andy Leighton wrote:

>> The worst I heard of at school was in a hockey match. I think that three
>> people were sent to hospital (and one other was injured but not badly).
>> This was between two teams of the same age.

> Worst at our school was a javelin through the leg.

At our school, the PT teacher got a javelin through the head, missing
his brain by only 3 feet!

--

Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 22:15:18 +0100, Colin McKenzie
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Peewiglet wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 07:33:58 +0100, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I went along to watch a couple of friends take part in a triathalon
>> this afternoon, and in the context of this discussion I noticed that a
>> cyclist was prevented from starting without a helmet. She was told to
>> go and get one from the communal pile provided by the organisers.

>Was anyone prevented from running without a helmet?

It seems unlikely, somehow :) (And I didn't see any snorkels in the
swimming pool either.)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

"Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'm not imposing my decision on anyone, I leave that stuff to the zealots
> like Guy and Tilly.

And there I think you've neatly demonstrated your complete failure to
understand the arguments: Guy is for individual choice, the zealots are for
mandation. I'd love to hear your definition of "zealot" cos mine doesn't
include anyone pro-choice.