Helmets are compulsory

Tony Raven wrote:

> "In most industrialized nations today, parents are increasingly worried
> about the threats to children,.......
>
> "Parents today are keeping their children too protected for them to be
> able to develop good risk awareness. They are not developing in the way
> that kids used to. Many are simply not aware of the dangers of the
> outside world."
> RoSPA spokesperson in ‘Big Rise in Child Drowning Accidents’, Guardian,
> 9 October 2000.

LASER (Learning About Safety by Experiencing Risk) Project is a RoSPA
idea to counter this IIRC.

At Sun, 03 Jul 2005 18:53:16 +0100, message
<[email protected]> was posted by Simon
Brooke <[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the
following:

>> I have never made any secret of the fact that I consider Guy to be
>> Zealot,

>No he's not, he's a Christian. Equally revolting, of course...

No, that's peasants.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 20:22:03 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>At Sun, 03 Jul 2005 18:53:16 +0100, message
><[email protected]> was posted by Simon
>Brooke <[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the
>following:
>
>>> I have never made any secret of the fact that I consider Guy to be
>>> Zealot,

>>No he's not, he's a Christian. Equally revolting, of course...

>No, that's peasants.

You're not a pheasant what!?

JohnB wrote:
> This week I have two 40-year+ complete beginners - I'm undecided yet on
> grass or tarmac.

I'd only suggest grass if you or they are not confident that you can
hold them upright when necessary. Up to now I have managed this even
with quite portly beginners, somewhat to my surprise.

Colin McKenzie

Colin McKenzie wrote:

> JohnB wrote:
> > This week I have two 40-year+ complete beginners - I'm undecided yet on
> > grass or tarmac.

> I'd only suggest grass if you or they are not confident that you can
> hold them upright when necessary. Up to now I have managed this even
> with quite portly beginners, somewhat to my surprise.

I make the decision on assessing _their_ confidence when I meet them.
If they are overly frightened of falling, then starting on grass usually
dispels those fears.
However I do think tarmac is generally best.
I also like them to wear gloves/mitts and I very strongly advise a h*lm*t.

I am *very* surprised at the numbers of complete beginners who are
asking for training, particularly from ethnic minorities.

John B

JohnB wrote:

> I am *very* surprised at the numbers of complete beginners who are
> asking for training, particularly from ethnic minorities.

What difference does the ethnicity of the trainer make? ;-)

--
Tony

Anon

in message <[email protected]>, Tilly
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 20:22:03 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>At Sun, 03 Jul 2005 18:53:16 +0100, message
>><[email protected]> was posted by Simon
>>Brooke <[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the
>>following:

>>>No he's not, he's a Christian. Equally revolting, of course...

>>No, that's peasants.

> You're not a pheasant what!?

plucker.

;; Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they
;; do it from  religious conviction."          -- Pascal

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

>>Using PE apparatus I may put mats out.

>Really? Even with the recent research showing it causes them to land
>more heavily and break bones? OK, I admit I was brought up short by
>that when my school told me about it, but I can see how it works.

How's that work then? I'm damn sure landing on the judo mats at school
hurt less than landing on the floor, though I never came close to
breaking a bone.

('[email protected]') wrote:

> I would appreciate hearing some grunts of approval from those in this
> group who broadly agree but who may feel too intimidated to comment.

Tilly, I see what you are doing as admirable and extremely valuable, but
I don't agree with you about helmets. What one is taught when young -
especially by teachers one respects - goes deep. If you say to these
children 'you must wear a helmet to cycle' then, if you're any good as
a teacher, they're going to believe you.

Now /if/ helmets are only safety-neutral, which may be the case, you are
not doing them an active disservice; but if, as Guy (with some credible
evidence) believes, risk compensation is a factor helmets being worse
than safety neutral, then you are being irresponsible.

FWIW I'm not wholly persuaded on the risk compensation hypothesis, but
do think that some explanation is needed for the lack of improvement in
safety among helmet wearers, and that, pending that explanation, any
strong position either way on whether other people should wear helmets
is pretty much indefensible.

In other words, I approve very much of the effort and obvious honest
care you are putting into cycle training, but I'm sorry: on this issue
I think you're wrong.

Mind you, many good friends of mine (including one who is a senior
hospital manager) think I am wrong on this, so follow your own
conscience.

;; Woz: 'All the best people in life seem to like LINUX.'
;; <URL:http://www.woz.org/woz/cresponses/response03.html>

Response to Alan Braggins:
> >Really? Even with the recent research showing it causes them to land
> >more heavily and break bones? OK, I admit I was brought up short by
> >that when my school told me about it, but I can see how it works.

> How's that work then? I'm damn sure landing on the judo mats at school
> hurt less than landing on the floor, though I never came close to
> breaking a bone.

I think Tilly and Guy were referring to mats under equipment such as
ropes or climbing frames. As Tilly said -

"Putting mats under ropes etc. encourages children to jump from a
height that they might not otherwise jump and is not advisable."

- in other words, a mat is an item of safety equipment which may well
encourage children - or adults - to think they are more protected than
they actually are, and behave accordingly. Now, where have we heard that
before?

A judo mat, of course, would be different - for one thing, you might have
a bit less choice about when you're going to land on it. ;-)

--
Mark, UK

"Education is the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty."

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 21:36:17 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Tilly
>('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 20:22:03 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>At Sun, 03 Jul 2005 18:53:16 +0100, message
>>><[email protected]> was posted by Simon
>>>Brooke <[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the
>>>following:

>>>No, that's peasants.

>> You're not a pheasant what!?

>plucker.

What are you then?

news:[email protected]..

..>> Which would you prefer, a broken jaw or a broken neck?

> Neither, and that over-dramatises the the issue. A bicycle helmet isn't
> strong enough to transmit enough force to break your neck (in my
> opinion - and having broken my back I think I have more experience on
> this matter than most).

Well I've broken my jaw, it wasn't so bad. I have to admit to ignorance on
the broken back front but I'm pretty sure I'd prefer a broken jaw.

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 22:29:46 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Now /if/ helmets are only safety-neutral, which may be the case, you are
>not doing them an active disservice; but if, as Guy (with some credible
>evidence) believes, risk compensation is a factor helmets being worse
>than safety neutral, then you are being irresponsible.

To be fair, what I'm actually saying is that we don't know whether
they are safety neutral, slightly positive or slightly negative. What
we do know is that one of the major tools used in their promotion is
the fear of cycling as a dangerous activity, and that is both false
and safety-negative..

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

Tilly wrote:
> In our junior (7 - 11 year old) playground we have the following
> climbing equipment:<snip list of climbing equipment>
>
> Since the equipment was installed three years ago we've suffered two
> broken wrists and a broken arm, one facial laceration requiring 3
> stitches and numerous minor cuts and bruises.
>
> I wonder what the injury toll over three years would be if we put a
> dozen bikes in the playground instead.
>
> (I really have no idea of the answer).

My local nursery/primary (also L.B.L.) has a couple of 12" wheel bikes
(w/out stabilisers) and a selection of heavy weight trikes (including
tandems, 'bents amd a sociable) in the combined play area for the
nursery/reception classes. Helmets were not in evidence. DD starts
there next term.

If you like, you could contact me off-list to be put in touch to find
out their injury record

best wishes
james

('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 21:36:17 +0100, Simon Brooke
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>in message <[email protected]>, Tilly
>>('[email protected]') wrote:

>>> You're not a pheasant what!?

>>plucker.

> What are you then?

A pedant. _Do_ keep up at the back.

The Conservative Party is now dead. The corpse may still be
twitching, but resurrection is not an option - unless Satan
chucks them out of Hell as too objectionable even for him.

In article <[email protected]>, Mark McNeill wrote:
>Response to Alan Braggins:
>> >Really? Even with the recent research showing it causes them to land
>> >more heavily and break bones? OK, I admit I was brought up short by
>> >that when my school told me about it, but I can see how it works.

>> How's that work then? I'm damn sure landing on the judo mats at school
>> hurt less than landing on the floor, though I never came close to
>> breaking a bone.

>I think Tilly and Guy were referring to mats under equipment such as
>ropes or climbing frames. As Tilly said -
>
>"Putting mats under ropes etc. encourages children to jump from a
>height that they might not otherwise jump and is not advisable."
>
>- in other words, a mat is an item of safety equipment which may well
>encourage children - or adults - to think they are more protected than
>they actually are, and behave accordingly. Now, where have we heard that
>before?
>
>A judo mat, of course, would be different - for one thing, you might have
>a bit less choice about when you're going to land on it. ;-)

We used the same mats for PE lessons, and rarely had much choice about
how and when we landed on them then. I can see how it might make a
difference to choosing to jump, but I interpreted "land more heavily"
as it affecting a given landing, not the takeoff.

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:42:57 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Tilly
>('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 21:36:17 +0100, Simon Brooke
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>in message <[email protected]>, Tilly

>>>plucker.

>> What are you then?

>A pedant. _Do_ keep up at the back.

I think I've got it now...

You're not a pleasant pedant,
You're a pleasant peasant's son,
You're only pleasing pheasants,
Cos the pleasant pedant's gone.

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 17:53:19 +0100, Tilly <[email protected]>
wrote:

>You're not a pleasant pedant,
>You're a pleasant peasant's son,
>You're only pleasing pheasants,
>Cos the pleasant pedant's gone.

Lol! :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

| At Sat, 02 Jul 2005 22:44:47 +0100, message
| <[email protected]> was posted by Patrick
| Herring <[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the
| following:
|
| >| Why is it that so many people are so intent on portraying cycling as
| >| dangerous that they will not allow a comparison with another activity
| >| whose risks are readily understood without the emotional baggage of
| >| decades of "BIKE DANGER!" helmet promotion?
|
| >But one can see where the instinct comes from. Walking isn't very
| >difficult, even crossing a road safely isn't that difficult and we all
| >get taught how to do it. Driving is skilled but you're insulated from
| >most mistakes by the steel cage and air-bags, and most adults have had
| >the training and the experience. But cycling (on roads amongst motor
| >traffic) is as skilled as driving but with no protection from mistakes
| >and to a non-cyclist the level of skill needed is unknown.
|
| Yes, it's an easy impression to foster. It also gives drivers an
| "out" when they harm cyclists: it's dangerous, they know what they are
| getting into.

I wonder whether there are any stats, maybe from the insurance world, of
drivers who never hit anything versus drivers who seem rather "accident
prone". Something like "5% of drivers have 85% of collisions". That
would be useful against the view that the danger is unavoidable rather
than that there are just some bad drivers.

| >So the perception of the general public is that the danger from dicing
| >with cars is offset by cyclists' skill and awareness rising to the
| >occasion. One can see how people can conclude that fewer cyclists die
| >than pedestrians because, they think, cyclists take more care and get
| >better at judging the traffic than the average pedestrian.
|
| I have not tried this: I will ask around a few people and see if they
| think more cyclists or pedestrians are killed and injured.

Would be interesting. I really meant: if people know or are told the
ped/cyclist death figures do they explain them by hypothesising cyclists
must be better at judging traffic, or do they come up with some other
theory.

I think this is what pk was trying to say with his "loony" remark.
People don't discount the potential for "accidents" just because the
figures show the dangers can be coped with.

| >And to a large extent I agree with them. They're correctly seeing the
| >danger as coming from the cars. But then they compare us to motorbikers
| >and ask why we're not wearing a helmet. ISTM we won't get anywhere
| >pointing out the stats for ped & cyclist KSI, the perception of cycling
| >having a greater danger won't go away.
|
| When there are five or six false perceptions all mixed together, no
| one message will deal with them all.

True, but "helmets are dangerous" does give you an intro...

| >But we can plug the line that it's bad drivers who are the problem & the
| >powers that be should be getting them off the road. But to make that
| >line stick, particularly if it's seen as coming from the cyclist lobby,
| >we'd probably have to agree that there are bad cyclists too, and we may
| >have to agree to training-based licencing.
| >Does the panel think trading cyclist-licencing for no MHL and getting
| >bad drivers off the road is a good deal?
|
| I don't think it would happen. First, it is *much* harder to
| implement (there is no training and testing infrastructure).

But Cycling Proficiency has been around for decades. And the new
training schemes are coming along thanks to people like Tilly.

What I want to be able to do is when asked why I'm not wearing a helmet,
firstly I say they're dangerous due to risk compensation, and secondly I
want to say I spent the money doing a cycle training course up to Level
N "which has been shown to provide much more ability to save lives
through ability than helmets ever could through physical strength".

| Second, getting careless motorists off the roads is politically inexpedient.

I disagree. It's quite easy to create a monster, the tabloids do it all
the time. And the monster might get /you/ next time. I think "BAD
DRIVERS KILL 10 EVERY DAY", to use your presentational style, is a line
that could easily be effective. The politicians then just have to appear
to be Beowulf slaying Grendel and everyone wins. As long as no-one feels
they might be labelled a bad driver without a proper reason...

| Helmet laws have no impact on non-cyclists, and no direct cost to the
| Government, so are a much easier sell.

True. But saving road deaths would save GBPmillions. Anyone know a
better estimate for this?

--
Patrick Herring, http://www.anweald.co.uk/ph