Helmets are compulsory?

chetanshetty

Jul 23, 2010
I bought a Bianchi a few week back but haven’t used it much due to lack of time. Now I’m planning on cycling to work whenever I can (when I wake up early enough!). I was just wondering whether helmets are compulsory for cyclists also on the road in traffic…

Regardless if whether they are compulsory or not, I'd recommend wearing one anyway. My commute is only a few miles but there have been enough close calls where I'm glad I'm wearing it.

Stay safe

Here where I am if you are 12 or under it is. Not sure where you are but as stated it is a good idea.

It does depend on the laws where you are at. You will have to check with your local town or city office. Most places in North America make it the law.

I agree though, especially for commuting, that a helmet is just a good idea. There are so many things happening that the chances of falling, even at slow speeds, are very good. Cars backing out onto roads, pedestrians stepping out of no where, cars stopping or suddenly turning. I have had many close calls and a few hits.

Helmets aren't that bad these days. they are generally very adjustable for comfort, and very lightweight. Go to a bike shop and get a decent one that is a bright colour. It is always extra good to be seen.

Familiarize yourself with all of the local cycling statutes before taking to the roads so that you can be an informed cyclist. Google is your friend, or you might get some help if we knew where you ride.

chetanshetty said:
I bought a Bianchi a few week back but haven’t used it much due to lack of time. Now I’m planning on cycling to work whenever I can (when I wake up early enough!). I was just wondering whether helmets are compulsory for cyclists also on the road in traffic…

As others have posted it is not whether wearing a helmet is required, but whether it is wise. From personal experience I can attest that wearing a helmet is very wise. I am here today because I was wearing a helmet.

Perhaps you will be fortunate and never have a crash. But, considering its' low cost a helmet is a cheap insurance policy. Besides, all the cool folks wear helmets.

The most important thing a cyclist owns is a helmet. We may brag about our bikes but they only get us from here to there. Our helmets keep us here.:D

davereo said:
The most important thing a cyclist owns is a helmet. We may brag about our bikes but they only get us from here to there. Our helmets keep us here.:D

The most important thing this cyclist owns is my latex vacuum bed:

20081916142813288.jpg

Of course, I always where my helmet on the bike, but not always while on the bed.

alienator said:
The most important thing this cyclist owns is my latex vacuum bed:

20081916142813288.jpg

Of course, I always where my helmet on the bike, but not always while on the bed.
Very important..... LMAO......

don't buy a time trial helmet or a leather helmet and if you ride a road bike take off the helmet visor

finnrambo said:
don't buy a time trial helmet or a leather helmet and if you ride a road bike take off the helmet visor

Why take the visor off if you ride a road bike?

alienator said:
Why take the visor off if you ride a road bike?

it's a good idea to take off the visor because it blocks your vision when your in the drops (which is where all newbies stupid enough to not wear a helmet always have their hands when it's not on some other part on their body ;)

finnrambo said:
it's a good idea to take off the visor because it blocks your vision when your in the drops (which is where all newbies stupid enough to not wear a helmet always have their hands when it's not on some other part on their body ;)

One of my helmets has the visor on it and it doesn't block my vision whatsoever.

finnrambo said:

A visor doesn't block your vision at all.

tjviperjr said:
One of my helmets has the visor on it and it doesn't block my vision whatsoever.

+ 1 I've had the visor on my helmet for years and haven't had issues with it blocking my vision, regardless of my hand position on the bars.

only in 21 states are helmets required, and those only require you to wear one if your 17 at the oldest and one state 11 at the youngest.

But you don't have to, you have that right not to wear a helmet...you also have the right to become a vegetable due to brain injury and live off the taxpayers, you have the right to have your family mourn for you at your funeral, you have the right to be an physically and/or mentally challenged, you have the right to lose all that you worked for and dreamed for...all these rights and more can be yours if you choose not to wear a helmet.

Staying safe on your bike is all about using your own common sense and not about following the law. Reading the road and making calls depending on traffic conditions at the time is what will keep you safe, not the law.
The law tells me I should use cycle lanes, fair enough, but if the cycle lane is full of rubish and broken glass then I'm not going to use it. I make the decision on the spot based on what's the safest thing to do.
As for wearing helmets my theory is don't take unneccessary risks. Modern helmets are light and you hardly know your waring it so why not wear it? I've been cycling for over thirty years and for most of that time I didn't wear a helmet because they didn't have them. Now I always wear one.
I wear a helmet not because I expect to get knocked off my bike every day but to help reduce the risk of a head injury if I do get knocked off, I'v heard all the arguments against wearing a helmet and I accept that many of them are credible, but figures published by the British Medical Association suggests wearing a helmet reduces serious injury in cyclists involved in accidents.
I know they won't help you if you was wiped out by a ten ton truck, but a car seat belt won't help you if a jumbo jet falls out of the sky and lands on top of you. At the end of the day the question you should ask yourself is "do you feel safer with or without one?" If you're happy to take the risk, fair enough

I second the comment suggesting you look up the laws in your state before riding your bike. In Nevada, the Office of Traffic Safety puts out a small booklet with pertinent laws for bicycles and for motor vehicle drivers' responsibilities towards bikes in traffic. Very handy. It is incumbent on you to know what you can and cannot do on the road.

As for the anti-helmet folks, from what I've read they post, the majority aren't really concerned about helmet safety or protection; they just obsess over someone telling them what to do. An understandable emotional response, but cutting off the helmet to spite the head seems a bit childish.

I would be interested to see safety comparisons between different sports' helmets, ie, rock climbing, snowboarding, skateboarding, cycling, etc.

Leo H.
Sun Valley, NV

Get past the 'does this helmet make my butt look big' and just do it. If you don't wear it for your own safety wear it for the people that care about you. Cheers.