Helmets For All? Or Just Some?

oam3292 said:
How do you guys and gals feel about mandatory helmet laws vs optional? does that not go against the whole "american freedoms" bit.
Freedom isn't defined in the USA by being able to do anything you want. While mandatory helmet laws and most transportation issues are handled on a local level here, they are common. If you are stupid enough to ride without a helmet you are lucky if you get cited for it instead of being killed or seriously injured. it isn't something to complain about if your IQ is higher than your shoe size in my humble opinion.

In my country it's legally mandatory for cyclists to wear helmets in urban areas. I've never seen anyone getting a ticket for it, but really, why go out without one? It's like the seat belt on cars, people don't question it or feel they're being stripped away of their "freedom" because it's a safety issue.

Besides helmets now come in so many types (some don't even look like helmets on the outside, they resemble hats) and colors that it's a cool accesory. I love my Nutcase :) (in picture)

It's not legally required here for adult cyclists to wear helmets, but I kind of wish it were at least encouraged more, especially for people who are riding in areas with heavy traffic. Which is most of Toronto, to be honest. It always scares me when I see people riding downtown without a helmet, it's just too easy for something irreversible to happen in a moment of bad luck.

I always watch the news ticker scroll by while I'm at the gym, and it seems like there are traffic accidents involving cyclists and pedestrians every week or so. A helmet isn't necessarily going to save you and you might end up never needing the protection, but it's an easy thing you can do to cut down on an obvious risk so why not?

Helmets should absolutely be mandatory, and if a law is what it takes then so be it. If not wearing seatbelts is illegal then so should helmets. Both of them are vital in saving your life when in an accident. Also both helmets and seatbelts take less than 5 seconds to strap into.

It is legally mandatory to use helmet when bicycling in my country although you can't get a fine for not using one. So it is literally useless law since people don't have to obey it. Although it is good to use since your life is precious and damages caused to head may cause several consequences.

briannagodess said:
Mandatory helmets for all. I wish to see this strictly enforced in my country. It is one thing to see adults without helmets, but kids? That is really irresponsible of the parents especially those on motorcycles. Bikes are not really a thing that you see commonly in major roads here. They are more for villages or provinces or subdivisions. But why not enforce a helmet policy on roads? If it can save lives, why not? The only problem is with the authorities not being strict in enforcing these laws here.
You took the words right out of my mouth. This is exactly the case in my country, the Philippines. I live in Metro Manila, the urban capital of the country, and it is very rare to see cyclists in the major roads here. People prefer to ride motorcycles or drive their own cars if they do not want to ride the public transportation systems. We have a Helmet Law that is supposed to mandate all motorcyclists to wear helmets, but our authorities are not so keen on implementing this law. I do agree with you that helmets should be made mandatory to all, whether they're cyclists or motorcyclists. Helmets save the cyclists/motorcyclists the same way that seatbelts save the driver and his or her passengers. I just hope the authorities become more strict in enforcing the law.

When I was younger I used to ride without a helmet but as I've got older I've started to wear one now.

I don't know if that's due to my age, or if it's I'm more concerned with self preservation than ever before!

oam3292 said:
How do you guys and gals feel about mandatory helmet laws vs optional? does that not go against the whole "american freedoms" bit.
Americans freedoms? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? What happen to people screaming about American Freedoms when seat belts were required? or those lawyer tabs on bikes? I can go on and on but you get what I mean, we don't have that kind of Freedom you're trying to stir up, freedom is taken when people get hurt or killed and then sue like crazy to say that it wasn't their fault for not checking quick releases on their bikes therefore the company who made the frame is at fault. And some laws were good, like seat belt laws to keep us from being ejected, so if we have to wear seat belts by law then we should have to wear a helmet by law to protect are brains to some degree, plain and simple.

Those that argue that mandatory helmet laws are a restriction of ones freedoms should be required by law to use birth control during every single sexual encounter.

Wearing a helmet while cycling seems to have turned into a long winded debate for some reason, and I'm not talking about just on this forum but in general. I understand the arguments that people have that they never wore them in the past so why should they start now, but at the same time why wouldn't they wear a helmet, its not as though its taking away their liberty or anything, and as long as its another safety measure put in place, then how can that be a bad thing?

swampy1970 said:
Those that argue that mandatory helmet laws are a restriction of ones freedoms should be required by law to use birth control during every single sexual encounter.
Only in China

This is a very controversial topic that you have brought up: Freedom vs. Safety.

Personally I think that the law should require all people to wear helmets, because in the long run we are saving lives. I feel like a helmet for a bicycle is like a safety belt for a car. We have laws requiring us to wear safety belts, and therefore it is logical to have laws requiring us to wear helmets. In this situation, I believe safety precedes freedom.

However, I see the argument for having the freedom to decide whether or not one wants to wear a helmet. We live in a country based on freedom and therefore everyone should have the choice to decide if they want to wear a helmet or if they do not want to wear a helmet. In this case, I would hope that everyone would choose to wear a helmet, because I wish everyone to have a long and safe life.

I am perfectly fine with helmets being mandatory. Cyclists are simply more exposed to dangers on the road than most other people on the road I believe--perhaps I am wrong about this, but it is certainly a feeling I have.

I drive both my bike and my car to school, depending on what I have going on that day, and while I do my best to be considerate to other people on the road, not everyone does. I have seen far too many unnecessary accidents due to a lack of prudence from drivers and cyclists. If a helmet can help keep an accident from becoming grave, then I don't really see why anyone would be against that.

I use my helmet when I'm biking on the road and I advise anyone who doesn't to do so. Wearing a helmet can be uncomfortable sometimes, but that's just a matter of spending sometime looking for a good fit.

This is a very controversial topic that you have brought up: Freedom vs. Safety.

Personally I think that the law should require all people to wear helmets, because in the long run we are saving lives. I feel like a helmet for a bicycle is like a safety belt for a car. We have laws requiring us to wear safety belts, and therefore it is logical to have laws requiring us to wear helmets. In this situation, I believe safety precedes freedom.

However, I see the argument for having the freedom to decide whether or not one wants to wear a helmet. We live in a country based on freedom and therefore everyone should have the choice to decide if they want to wear a helmet or if they do not want to wear a helmet. In this case, I would hope that everyone would choose to wear a helmet, because I wish everyone to have a long and safe life.
Both of these last two paragraphs are correct. This is what I was saying as well. If you make a law to protect people from injury and death to some degree, like wearing a seatbelt then you should also have a law that requires helmets; if on the other hand if you want the freedom to chose than you make seat belts and helmets an option. You can't have it both ways because it makes no sense, all you really are trying to do is to make it so that cyclists have safety freedoms but motorists should not, thus it's like a marriage, you have rules that the wife gives you to follow but she doesn't have too follow them...

Helmets are something that are not practical, but that can save our life. Sure, if we are used to ride without an helmet it's hard to gain that habit, but I think we should do it for our own health and to give the example to others.

I do think it's in our best interest to wear helmets these days, as like you say, at the very least it shows as an example to others that we are being as safe as we can be.

I think cyclists often have a bad name for being careless and reckless on the roads, so using the safety gear as and when it becomes available won't do us any harm and might change some people's perception of us.

Nah, but that cannot happen because we are the safest riders on the roads, we cause the less accidents, so I don't think that cyclists do have that image. Sure, maybe some younger kids at that crazy age, but not in general.

oportosanto said:
Nah, but that cannot happen because we are the safest riders on the roads, we cause the less accidents, so I don't think that cyclists do have that image. Sure, maybe some younger kids at that crazy age, but not in general.
Right, cyclists cause less accidents because motorists are afraid to hit us when we do all the stupid stuff we do, like run stop signs and lights, weave in and out of traffic without signaling and doing so suddenly, cutting in front of cars, running around at night with no lights or reflectos, etc, then flip off the motorists after they honk at us for our bad riding abilities. Most motorists don't want a dead person on their conscious so they will go to extremes to avoid hitting us despite the fact it's our fault.

We do have human rights and freedom. But helmets should be mandatory. I did however hear of a case in which a biker crashed off his bike, he stood up for a long while looking on his destroyed bike and then took off his helmet. The people said that his skull came off in the helmet and they saw his brain. He died there, the helmet did nothing for him.
We do have human rights and freedom. But helmets should be mandatory. I did however hear of a case in which a biker crashed off his bike, he stood up for a long while looking on his destroyed bike and then took off his helmet. The people said that his skull came off in the helmet and they saw his brain. He died there, the helmet did nothing for him.

Keyan said:
If it is about safety then I would not mind for it to become mandatory. I am concern about my safety whenever I go out be it inside an automobile, bike or even just doing a brisk walk. This is for our own welfare in the long run
Helmets are definitely for our safety. But helmets cannot prevent our skulls from being cracked