Helmets look stupid

If you'll notice, nobody is arguing the figures of pro cyclist deaths from head injuries.
We (I'm pretty sure I can say 'we' safely) are arguing for common sense.

So far your only arguement is deaths, have you gone through and listed any head injury, be it a scratch to brain damage.
No I bet you haven't, I'm guessing it will be a little hard to research anyway.
But like I have mentioned (with Salvoldelli as example) how about all those guys who have even remotely hit their head. Without a helmet the damage is sufficiently greater than if the rider where to be wearing a helmet.

Whilst your using an argument of a helmet in a "real" collision would make no difference. Thats quite correct. Why? because the person has also probably sustained serious injuries elsewhere on the body, potentially fatal injuries.

How about for the sake of argument you go and test your theory.
Go and take a running hit (head first) into a concrete wall and tell us what the difference was. :eek:
Oh! but do us a favour, do the helmet one first.
If we don't hear from you for a while we'll asume you must have gone the no helmet option.

I should also say that this debate with you is like banging our collective heads on the wall, as your to obstinate to see the reasoning.
Lucky we wear helmets.

ps:your file link didn't work.
but if it's a document showing helmets/no helmet figure show no difference.
I can safely tell you that in Australia when the mandatory helmet rule came in the death rate reduced significantly (by over half).
Yes I have also seen stuff where it is claimed head injuries went up, well if the said writter used comon sense they would realise it's a sliding scale. Those head injury patients used to be deaths and a lot of the former head injury patients would be ok. Don't forget a hospital record will list you in the statistics. Just say bike crash then your injury no matter the severity (or lack thereof) is listed in the statistics.

alan b'stard M said:
Stats mean everything house as they record history and defeat your point. Your can't explain the fugures away so you attack me!

Face it ol boy. You've been intellectually and factually flogged!:p
Real life trumps your little world of stats. Find the thread with stories of helmets and how they helped. That's real life, something you obviously don't experience. Face it, you don't know jack ****.

I was riding in a 10-15 person line the other day and a person in front of me went down, then I went down and then the person after me went down. The first guy hit is head on the pavement hard enough to crack his helmet all the way through, but had no head trauma at all. I'm sure without a helmet he would of had atleast a concussion if not worse. Unfortunately, he did break his scapula in three places when I crashed into him. Regardless, I think it did show me how a helmet can protect a head.

I used to train quite a bit without a helmet, but not anymore. When I went down without a helmet at 35 miles an hour taking a corner I caught myself with my left wrist(fractured) and the top of my head drove straight into the pavement. Luckily I was able to get back on the bike and ride home, but I did sit there and reflect on what had just happened and how lucky I was I didn't split my skull.

This thread is kind of silly. If a cyclist refuses to wear a helmet, it's for one of two reasons. He doesn't think one can help prevent serious injury in case of head impact, in which case he is already suffering from mental impairment. The second case is where he does realize that helmets can help prevent injury, but prefers to run the risk of not wearing one in favor of comfort, looks, weight, etc. In neither case will reasoning and stats make any difference.

Pendejo said:
This thread is kind of silly. If a cyclist refuses to wear a helmet, it's for one of two reasons. He doesn't think one can help prevent serious injury in case of head impact, in which case he is already suffering from mental impairment. The second case is where he does realize that helmets can help prevent injury, but prefers to run the risk of not wearing one in favor of comfort, looks, weight, etc. In neither case will reasoning and stats make any difference.

Not wearing helmets is like not wearing seat belts in cars.
It improves the gene pool

Cheers

Geoff

My wife thinks lycra shorts shouldn't be worn by men, but that doesn't mean I'm going to race in my undies.:D

I have never opposed wearing a helmet during a race. I question the testing methods (SNELL or whatever) which support the use of polystyrene over leather.

I do however reserve the right to choose whether I wear a helmet for general use.

Although I (almost) always wear one, the problem for me is that the argument always seems to revolve around compulsion. Regularly here in the UK there are calls to make all cyclists wear a helmet, despite the actually pretty poor scientific evidence that they actually help prevent head injuries. A large part of the argument amongst cyclists seems to be 'well, it's obvious isn't it?' without really questioning whether they actually help, but more worringly the argument for compulsion is driven amongst the general public by the motoring lobby. In fact, even the cycle helmet manufacturers themselves tend to be against compulsion.

This is mainly because the mainstream call for compulsion is really just an attempt to put barriers in the way of people chosing to ride their bikes, and hence to keep them out of the way of the motorists. If the helmet compulsion lobby were actually serious about reducing head injuries they wouldn't bother with cyclists (head injuries are rare in cycle crashes, we tend to have sideward crashes that at worst will drag the head along the floor) but would instead be forcing drivers and their passengers to wear helmets (head injuries are statistically far more prevelant if you're travelling in a car). It's not likely to happen though is it?

As I say, I (almost) always wear mine - it's a no-brainer, because I find it comfortable, don't find it makes my head any warmer and it will be useful in certain types of impact, but I do get annoyed at reading 'my helmet saved my life' type stories, because you have no idea what form the crash would have taken without the additional mass and diameter of the helmet. One story above mentioned a crash at 35mph - sorry, but this is well behind the speed that cycle helmets are shown to be any use for so, since you survived, you still would have survived if you hadn't been wearing one.

Simple test:
1. Put on helmet.
2. I crack you over the head with a baseball bat.
3. Assess damage.
4. Remove helmet
5. Repeat steps two and three

Compare results. :)

Tom

I had a high speed bike crash 25 years ago; I suffered multiple skull fractures and severe scarring on my head.

I lost control at a T-Junction at the end of a very steep hill, went under a car and ripped my head along the chassis. The impact was from the temple back to the crown of my head, exactly where a helmet would have protected me most -if I had worn one. It would have saved me 3 years of pain.

I've only started cycling again in the last few years, but I always wear a helmet.

musictom said:
Simple test:
1. Put on helmet.
3. Assess damage.
4. Remove helmet

Tom
It's a good test...if you regularly get hit on the head with a baseball bat while riding a bike.

Trev_S said:
If you'll notice, nobody is arguing the figures of pro cyclist deaths from head injuries.
We (I'm pretty sure I can say 'we' safely) are arguing for common sense.

So far your only arguement is deaths, have you gone through and listed any head injury, be it a scratch to brain damage.
No I bet you haven't, I'm guessing it will be a little hard to research anyway.
But like I have mentioned (with Salvoldelli as example) how about all those guys who have even remotely hit their head. Without a helmet the damage is sufficiently greater than if the rider where to be wearing a helmet.

Whilst your using an argument of a helmet in a "real" collision would make no difference. Thats quite correct. Why? because the person has also probably sustained serious injuries elsewhere on the body, potentially fatal injuries.

How about for the sake of argument you go and test your theory.
Go and take a running hit (head first) into a concrete wall and tell us what the difference was. :eek:
Oh! but do us a favour, do the helmet one first.
If we don't hear from you for a while we'll asume you must have gone the no helmet option.

I should also say that this debate with you is like banging our collective heads on the wall, as your to obstinate to see the reasoning.
Lucky we wear helmets.

ps:your file link didn't work.
but if it's a document showing helmets/no helmet figure show no difference.
I can safely tell you that in Australia when the mandatory helmet rule came in the death rate reduced significantly (by over half).
Yes I have also seen stuff where it is claimed head injuries went up, well if the said writter used comon sense they would realise it's a sliding scale. Those head injury patients used to be deaths and a lot of the former head injury patients would be ok. Don't forget a hospital record will list you in the statistics. Just say bike crash then your injury no matter the severity (or lack thereof) is listed in the statistics.

I am talking about professional bike races and helmets. Not the public street. I've said that at lease twice.

I believe there is value in wearing a helmet on a public street, even if they are only good to 12 miles per hour impact as far as the info on my failed file is concerned.

Pro racers don't need helmets. A few cuts and scratches...oh boo hoo!

House said:
Real life trumps your little world of stats. Find the thread with stories of helmets and how they helped. That's real life, something you obviously don't experience. Face it, you don't know jack ****.
That's frogshit "house" and you know it. Stats are there for a reason
:D

musictom said:
Simple test:
1. Put on helmet.
3. Assess damage.
4. Remove helmet

Tom

...6. Convince yourself that this test is in any way representative of the impacts induced by cycle crashes. This will be easier now you have completed step 5.

rob of the og said:
...6. Convince yourself that this test is in any way representative of the impacts induced by cycle crashes. This will be easier now you have completed step 5.

LOL! :rolleyes: :) :rolleyes: :)
Tom

musictom said:

;) By the way, my garage door is on the fritz at the moment and recently fell closed on my head while I was putting my bike away. And yes, I was very glad that I was wearing my Giro at the time.