Helmets - mean time betweef failures

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Andrew Price, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. Andrew Price

    Andrew Price Guest

    Big chunk of styrofoam fell out of the Limar helmet on the way home from
    work tonight, right where the strap attaches at the back.

    5 years constant use, a few minor scrapes (there was that low tree branch
    once as I recall) so I guess I can't complain - but I really think it was
    the rash threat to wash it because it was getting a bit pongy in the heat
    that caused it to give up the ghost.

    Recommendations for one with significantly longer life span?

    I had just got fond of it too, sort of like an old sweater with holes in it
    that you don't want to give up.

    best, Andrew (remove the .x1 to reply)

    Tags:

  2. Euan

    Euan Guest

    "Andrew Price" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Big chunk of styrofoam fell out of the Limar helmet on the way home from
    > work tonight, right where the strap attaches at the back.
    >
    > 5 years constant use, a few minor scrapes (there was that low tree branch
    > once as I recall) so I guess I can't complain - but I really think it was
    > the rash threat to wash it because it was getting a bit pongy in the heat
    > that caused it to give up the ghost.
    >
    > Recommendations for one with significantly longer life span?

    As I understand it five years is about all you can expect from a
    helmet. UV degradation takes its toll, think yourself lucky that you
    found out it was cactus without actually having to use it.

    > I had just got fond of it too, sort of like an old sweater with holes in it
    > that you don't want to give up.

    Indifferent to mine. Couple of times this week I'd rather not have worn
    it but the law is the law.
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Met Stradivarius here. like it. suits my head shape (which the LIMAR didnt. personal thing like saddles).

    Altoh in hindsight i woulda gone the ippogriffo with the meshy bits over the vents at front.
    When choosing a replacement months back i saw these and thought it rathe ra gimmick as i couldnt recall ever needing such a thing but of course now summer has come and i almost had a nasty panic attack on BR80b yesterday when i got a bee in the helmet. luckily i worked hime loose before he could get me

  4. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Met Stradivarius here. like it. suits my head shape (which the LIMAR
    > didnt. personal thing like saddles).
    >
    > Altoh in hindsight i woulda gone the ippogriffo with the meshy bits
    > over the vents at front.

    I think the new strads have it too, but am not sure?

  5. Rayc

    Rayc Guest

    Andrew Price wrote:

    > 5 years constant use, a few minor scrapes (there was that low tree branch
    > once as I recall) so I guess I can't complain
    >
    > Recommendations for one with significantly longer life span?

    $150-200 overall cost / 5 years use

    equals $30 - 40 /yr in safety for your head

    pretty good deal to me!
    Bell and/or Giro suggest 5yrs max, may be less with UV exposure and
    hair oil or hair product.

    Frankly I would change helmets probably at least every two years, just
    to ensure that the helmet is more than up to the job of absorbing as
    much force as possible, if ever needed.

    Bell ran an ad a couple of years ago in the US, something like $100
    feet - $5 head
    Crazy to think that we are quite happy to spend $1000+ for a bike,
    $200+ on shoes, tyres all the time, constant servicing and on it goes
    but not on a helmet! - madness.

    then again maybe Bell had a point!

  6. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    That all depends on whether you believe helmets do the job they claim.

    Consider: the chances of having an accident on a bicycle are about the same as those of having an accident as a pedestrian. Out of all those accidents approximately one percent involve a head injury. That's a pretty low risk and for many people hardly worth taking measures against.

    Add in that helmets have had no credible research to back their claims and many people treat helmet wearing as an inconvenience which must be complied with to statisfy the law of the land.

    For those who buy in to the exaggerated dangers of cycling without a helmet maybe?

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700

    wwooopppp wwooopppp wwooopppp wwooopppp wwooopppp

    HELMET DEBATE!!!!!!!

    run fer your livesssssssssssss

  8. Peter Keller

    Peter Keller Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 06:45:38 +1100, EuanB wrote:

    > Rayc Wrote:
    >>
    >> Bell ran an ad a couple of years ago in the US, something like $100
    >> feet - $5 head
    >> Crazy to think that we are quite happy to spend $1000+ for a bike,
    >> $200+ on shoes, tyres all the time, constant servicing and on it goes
    >> but not on a helmet! - madness.
    >>

    > That all depends on whether you believe helmets do the job they claim.
    >
    > Consider: the chances of having an accident on a bicycle are about the
    > same as those of having an accident as a pedestrian. Out of all those
    > accidents approximately one percent involve a head injury. That's a
    > pretty low risk and for many people hardly worth taking measures
    > against.
    >
    > Add in that helmets have had no credible research to back their claims
    > and many people treat helmet wearing as an inconvenience which must be
    > complied with to statisfy the law of the land.
    >

    >> then again maybe Bell had a point!
    >>

    > For those who buy in to the exaggerated dangers of cycling without a
    > helmet maybe?

    I agree with all your points, that bicycling is very safe, and helmets
    don't do much to improve safety.
    However, this thread started with a legitimate question on how long a
    helmet (or more specifically the polystyrofoam liner) should last.
    I can't really see the connection between that and whether one should be
    wearing a helmet at all!!

    Peter.

    --
    No Microsoft involved. Certified virus free --

  9. Rayc

    Rayc Guest

    EuanB wrote:

    > That all depends on whether you believe helmets do the job they claim.

    Well no one can really conduct real world testing in every situation,
    but go ahead and wear some DH body armour and a motobike helmet the
    next time you get some milk from the local milkbar. If you dont feel
    that helmet work, prehaps you can get past the laws by carrying it on
    you and not actually wearing it.

    > Consider: the chances of having an accident on a bicycle are about the
    > same as those of having an accident as a pedestrian. Out of all those
    > accidents approximately one percent involve a head injury. That's a
    > pretty low risk and for many people hardly worth taking measures
    > against.

    I'd rather not risk picking the day in which that 1% or so falls on.
    Hey its all in your hands as to whether or not you want to protect your
    head. You are after all an adult and your can choose to do what ever
    you please.

    > Add in that helmets have had no credible research to back their claims
    > and many people treat helmet wearing as an inconvenience which must be
    > complied with to statisfy the law of the land.

    > For those who buy in to the exaggerated dangers of cycling without a
    > helmet maybe?

    Well. maybe...... but I for one am quite happy to wear a helmet, even
    on 35degree days. The day the you go too far on your new ETSX, or too
    close to that tree on the corner, you might want that helmet on your
    noggin.

  10. Dee Dub

    Dee Dub New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2003
    My MET Ippogriffo has been beaut for 3 yrs or so until last week when the soft plastic 'chassis' inside the helmet broke at the back where it fits into the adjustment bits. I'll be having a closer look at these mechanisms when I look for the next one.

    Any one got any ideas on this? I'd prefer to repair than replace, thought the comments made about the investment one makes in head protection will get another airing when I talk to the finance manager tonight!

    Without wanting to cause a ruckus, I haven't had an accident in which my head didn't get a knock of some sort. Head + ground = hurt. A pain, particularly in the heat, but I won't be without one.

    Dee Dub

  11. Rayc

    Rayc Guest

    I hope that I did point out something important, that the life of a
    helmet may be limited by other factors.
    the OP did say that
    "5 years constant use, a few minor scrapes (there was that low tree
    branch
    once as I recall) so I guess I can't complain"

    so manufactuers have said 5 yr max and then you need to factor in wear
    accelerants(sp?)
    but then again do you want to stretch the ability of a helmet to
    effectively absorb impact force?

  12. Rayc

    Rayc Guest

    Met offer a crash replacement policy, not free but cheaper than buying
    a new helmet. Some distributors offer an inspection service, but none
    offer a repair service.

    Kinda hard to do repairs on one part of a helmet, as the helmet as a
    whole absorbs the impact and impact damage is not neccessarily visible.

    Plus I dont think anyone would want to place their name behiond the
    partial refurbishment of a used helmet

  13. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Every query's legitimate in my book, but I take your point. Take my point that earlier in the thread I gave a considered reply, which has been echoed by others.

    That post was in response to a post stating that anyone who does not wear a helmet may have `a five dollar head.'

  14. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005

    You make it sound like I have a choice. As a law abiding resident (working on citizenship) I don't.

    I don't consider mountain biking to be as safe as normal cycling. The terrain is challenging and I'm generally pushing myself really hard, esepcially at the moment as I don't have mountain bike fitness. I wouldn't consider riding off road without a helmet as the risk of coming off is far greater than it is on the road.

    The ETSX is a lot of fun :)

  15. Peter Keller

    Peter Keller Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 11:54:01 +1100, EuanB wrote:

    > Peter Keller Wrote:

    <snip>

    >> I can't really see the connection between that and whether one should
    >> be
    >> wearing a helmet at all!!
    >>

    > That post was in response to a post stating that anyone who does not
    > wear a helmet may have `a five dollar head.'

    Very good point!

    Peter

    --
    No Microsoft involved. Certified virus free --

  16. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    EuanB wrote:
    <snip>
    > I don't consider mountain biking to be as safe as normal cycling. The
    > terrain is challenging and I'm generally pushing myself really hard,
    > esepcially at the moment as I don't have mountain bike fitness. I
    > wouldn't consider riding off road without a helmet as the risk of
    > coming off is far greater than it is on the road.

    <snip>

    Even though I'm far more competent at road riding than mountain biking,
    I consider mountain biking safer. The primary threat to my safety is my
    own lack of skill. Whereas on the road, the primary threat to my safety
    is something I can't control - other drivers. If I come off my bike,
    downhill, at 60km/h, it's going to hurt regardless of whether I'm on the
    road or the trail. But at least on the trail, I'm not going to
    concurrently get hit by a tonne of metal.

    Tam

  17. Peter Keller

    Peter Keller Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:36:50 -0800, Rayc wrote:

    > Met offer a crash replacement policy, not free but cheaper than buying
    > a new helmet. Some distributors offer an inspection service, but none
    > offer a repair service.

    I am not sure if an "inspection" service is useful at all. The propaganda
    is that after any knock, however minor, the helmet should be replaced as
    damage to it may be invisible but still real, thus lessening greatly
    whatever protective properties it had.

    Peter

    --
    No Microsoft involved. Certified virus free --

  18. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Peter Keller wrote:

    > On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:36:50 -0800, Rayc wrote:
    >
    > > Met offer a crash replacement policy, not free but cheaper than buying
    > > a new helmet. Some distributors offer an inspection service, but none
    > > offer a repair service.
    > >

    > I am not sure if an "inspection" service is useful at all. The propaganda
    > is that after any knock, however minor, the helmet should be replaced as
    > damage to it may be invisible but still real, thus lessening greatly
    > whatever protective properties it had.
    >
    > Peter

    I found a miniature compression spot on a helmet after I'd stacked it...
    which happened to correspond to a small bruise on my head, so I decided
    to check it out. When we peeled back the plastic, we found a massive
    crack that was not at all visible from outside. The bike shop was very
    responsible and insisted I smash the crap out of the helmet so that no
    one would take it out of the bin and try to use it. The thought of that
    scared me - I am always amazed when people sell second hand bikes with a
    helmet included.

    Tam

  19. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    Peter Keller wrote:

    > I agree with all your points, that bicycling is very safe, and helmets
    > don't do much to improve safety.
    > However, this thread started with a legitimate question on how long a
    > helmet (or more specifically the polystyrofoam liner) should last.
    > I can't really see the connection between that and whether one should
    > be wearing a helmet at all!!

    The connection is that, if you leave your helmet in a dark cupboard and
    never get it out, it should last a very long time.

    Theo

  20. In aus.bicycle on 3 Jan 2006 15:42:58 -0800
    Rayc <[email protected]> wrote:

    > so manufactuers have said 5 yr max and then you need to factor in wear
    > accelerants(sp?)
    > but then again do you want to stretch the ability of a helmet to
    > effectively absorb impact force?

    Just to make life more difficult... The bod in charge of testing
    motorcycle helmets for Oz compliance recently tested a bunch of old
    helmets - some worn a lot, some not much, the oldest 12 years old.

    They all passed.

    Meaning that it isn't at all clear that age wearies them and the years
    contemn. It looks like just crashes bugger 'em up.

    As to the original problem of polystyrene falling off, I suspect that
    there isn't enough info about minor knocks and UV exposure to give a
    good answer.

    Zebee