Helmets - mean time betweef failures

Peter Keller wrote:

> I must own up to being a fscking quack. I have also bicycled reasonably
> continuously for 50 years,

So bicycle seats obviously haven't made you impotent either {:)

> After all, fscking quacks have to believe their own propaganda, don't they?

Personally I don't know how quacks survive the "propaganda" load they
have to carry. Once had an IT contract that was really about maximising
the "product" sent to quacks by drug companies.

> Unfortunately, as a result of this, this fscking quack became vehemently
> anti-compulsion within two months.

Congrats. nice to hear it.

Personally I prefer a nice floppy hat for shade to a hot helmet.

Rayc wrote:

> No its not, its about (if you believe helmets work), finding a
> reasonable length of time between having bought a helmet and
> purchasing a helmet, so as to have the most effective shock absorber (
> again- if you believe in the process working)

There are better shock absorbers than polystyrene, but that leaves out
entirely the issue as to whether bicycle helmets do a a good job anyway.

> If you are going to wear a helmet, why not get it to do the best job it
> can?

You can not be seriously asking this question at this day and time. I
still wear my old Bell helmet because;

1) the current ones on offer to bicyclists are ****.
2) my MSR is too friggin hot (great on cold winter nights though).
3) no one produces a good helmet without poly,
4) I don't want brand names littering my helmet,
5) I don't want a helmet that looks like it was extruded through an anus.

On 2006-01-16, Terry Collins (aka Bruce)
> Peter Keller wrote:
>> I must own up to being a fscking quack. I have also bicycled reasonably
>> continuously for 50 years,

> So bicycle seats obviously haven't made you impotent either {:)
>
>> After all, fscking quacks have to believe their own propaganda, don't they?

> Personally I don't know how quacks survive the "propaganda" load they
> have to carry. Once had an IT contract that was really about maximising
> the "product" sent to quacks by drug companies.

Most of the GPs I have met didn't seem to have survived.

I finally decided to experiment with non-bulk billing doctors to see
if they were any better. This guy had a bit of a conflict of
interest. His surgery dispensed awfully expensive vitamins and
minerals and other quack herbal remedies, and I noticed that he was
prescibing them to *all* of his patients. Whatever he could sting
them for. I cancelled my next appointment with him last week. And
blaming everything else on things missing in my diet[1][2].

Still looking for a good doctor nearish to me -- Stuart pointed me to
one that is a bit out of the way that I'm yet to get around to
checking out.

[1] My diet is perfectly fine (blood tests and all other tests have
never come up with anything other than me being perfectly in the
middle of the range). Although I do have to eat a lot to keep from
"starving", and am still a skinny bugger who never has any energy. I
just had to come to the realisation that some people are lucky enough
to be inherently healthy despite a **** diet, and other people can be
inherently unhealthy despite them trying to do all the right things.
Dammit.
[2] No, his 5 different suplements he had me taking that he thought I
could potentially be lacking had absolutely no effect on me. And no,
most people in Australia already get enough protein in their diet.
The way of fixing fatigue is not to remove(!) carbohydrates from the
diet and replace them with excess protein the body can't use.

--
TimC
"You can't trust any bugger further than you can

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:57:03 +1100, Terry Collins wrote:

> Peter Keller wrote:
>

> Personally I don't know how quacks survive the "propaganda" load they
> have to carry. Once had an IT contract that was really about maximising
> the "product" sent to quacks by drug companies.
>
>> Unfortunately, as a result of this, this fscking quack became vehemently
>> anti-compulsion within two months.

> Congrats. nice to hear it.

Thank you

> Personally I prefer a nice floppy hat for shade to a hot helmet.

Me too. And they can also be made brightly colored for visiblity, and
give nearly as much protection against scrapes and bruises as a helmet!

Peter

--
No Microsoft involved. Certified virus free --

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 09:22:36 +0000, TimC wrote:

> On 2006-01-16, Terry Collins (aka Bruce)

>> Personally I don't know how quacks survive the "propaganda" load they
>> have to carry. Once had an IT contract that was really about maximising
>> the "product" sent to quacks by drug companies.

> Most of the GPs I have met didn't seem to have survived.
>
> I finally decided to experiment with non-bulk billing doctors to see
> if they were any better. This guy had a bit of a conflict of
> interest. His surgery dispensed awfully expensive vitamins and
> minerals and other quack herbal remedies, and I noticed that he was
> prescibing them to *all* of his patients. Whatever he could sting
> them for. I cancelled my next appointment with him last week. And
> blaming everything else on things missing in my diet[1][2].
>
> Still looking for a good doctor nearish to me -- Stuart pointed me to
> one that is a bit out of the way that I'm yet to get around to
> checking out.
>
> [1] My diet is perfectly fine (blood tests and all other tests have
> never come up with anything other than me being perfectly in the
> middle of the range). Although I do have to eat a lot to keep from
> "starving", and am still a skinny bugger who never has any energy. I
> just had to come to the realisation that some people are lucky enough
> to be inherently healthy despite a **** diet, and other people can be
> inherently unhealthy despite them trying to do all the right things.
> Dammit.
> [2] No, his 5 different suplements he had me taking that he thought I
> could potentially be lacking had absolutely no effect on me. And no,
> most people in Australia already get enough protein in their diet.
> The way of fixing fatigue is not to remove(!) carbohydrates from the
> diet and replace them with excess protein the body can't use.

Now there is a Fscking Quack!
I agree that an active person does not have to watch much what s/he eats,
as long as s/he gets enough and a reasonable variety. Also that
supplements are by and large un-necessary, except perhaps for extreme
things like bodybuilding.
Oh what some FQ's (and others) will do for money!

Peter
--

TimC wrote:
> On 2006-01-16, Terry Collins (aka Bruce)
>
>>Peter Keller wrote:
>>
>>>I must own up to being a fscking quack. I have also bicycled reasonably
>>>continuously for 50 years,

>>So bicycle seats obviously haven't made you impotent either {:)
>>

>>>After all, fscking quacks have to believe their own propaganda, don't they?

>>Personally I don't know how quacks survive the "propaganda" load they
>>have to carry. Once had an IT contract that was really about maximising
>>the "product" sent to quacks by drug companies.

> Most of the GPs I have met didn't seem to have survived.
>
> I finally decided to experiment with non-bulk billing doctors to see
> if they were any better. This guy had a bit of a conflict of
> interest. His surgery dispensed awfully expensive vitamins and
> minerals and other quack herbal remedies, and I noticed that he was
> prescibing them to *all* of his patients. Whatever he could sting
> them for. I cancelled my next appointment with him last week. And
> blaming everything else on things missing in my diet[1][2].
>
> Still looking for a good doctor nearish to me -- Stuart pointed me to
> one that is a bit out of the way that I'm yet to get around to
> checking out.
>
> [1] My diet is perfectly fine (blood tests and all other tests have
> never come up with anything other than me being perfectly in the
> middle of the range). Although I do have to eat a lot to keep from
> "starving", and am still a skinny bugger who never has any energy. I
> just had to come to the realisation that some people are lucky enough
> to be inherently healthy despite a **** diet, and other people can be
> inherently unhealthy despite them trying to do all the right things.
> Dammit.
> [2] No, his 5 different suplements he had me taking that he thought I
> could potentially be lacking had absolutely no effect on me. And no,
> most people in Australia already get enough protein in their diet.
> The way of fixing fatigue is not to remove(!) carbohydrates from the
> diet and replace them with excess protein the body can't use.

You could try Kris Merideth-Cooke. around the corner from my place Tim.
Although we had a bit of a tiff and are no longer talking I think she
is a fine sports doctor and a pretty decent cyclist

Dave

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 22:44:02 +1300, Peter Keller wrote:

> Also that supplements are by and large un-necessary, except perhaps for
> extreme things like bodybuilding.

It depends on your definition of "supplement". I know I used to do active
stuff for hours on end no matter how hot it was, and only drank
Coke/OJ/cordial when I was a kid. But I also know I feel **** if I ride
for 4 hours on just water, and Gatorade, etc. makes me feel better.
Cordial doesn't have the same effect, so it's presumably the salts [1],
and I'm fairly sure the bottle describes it as a "sports supplement drink"
or similar.

I don't think a daily vitamin tablet will do me much good. Then again, I
tend to spend more at the fruit shop than the supermarket on a fairly
regular basis.

[1] Doesn't electrolyte sound better for you than "salt".

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different

On 2006-01-16, dave (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:

>> [2] No, his 5 different suplements he had me taking that he thought I
>> could potentially be lacking had absolutely no effect on me. And no,
>> most people in Australia already get enough protein in their diet.
>> The way of fixing fatigue is not to remove(!) carbohydrates from the
>> diet and replace them with excess protein the body can't use.
>>

> You could try Kris Merideth-Cooke. around the corner from my place Tim.
> Although we had a bit of a tiff and are no longer talking I think she
> is a fine sports doctor and a pretty decent cyclist

Sports docs wouldn't come under medicare, would they?

--
TimC
There are running jobs. Why don't you go chase them?

TimC wrote:
> On 2006-01-16, dave (aka Bruce)
>
>>TimC wrote:

>>>[2] No, his 5 different suplements he had me taking that he thought I
>>>could potentially be lacking had absolutely no effect on me. And no,
>>>most people in Australia already get enough protein in their diet.
>>>The way of fixing fatigue is not to remove(!) carbohydrates from the
>>>diet and replace them with excess protein the body can't use.
>>>

>>You could try Kris Merideth-Cooke. around the corner from my place Tim.
>> Although we had a bit of a tiff and are no longer talking I think she
>>is a fine sports doctor and a pretty decent cyclist

> Sports docs wouldn't come under medicare, would they?

Sheesh I dunno. She advertises as a GP. Hell give her a ring . Its
Malvern rood the other side of Toronga from us. At the back of the
CHemist. I wont give you her mobile (seems rude) and I have no idea
what the clinics number is. SHe is basically honest.

Dave

On 2006-01-16, dave (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:
>> Sports docs wouldn't come under medicare, would they?

> Sheesh I dunno. She advertises as a GP. Hell give her a ring . Its
> Malvern rood the other side of Toronga from us. At the back of the
> CHemist. I wont give you her mobile (seems rude) and I have no idea
> what the clinics number is. SHe is basically honest.

Thanks.

--
TimC
Hell - n. The current residence of Mr. Noah Webster, Lexicographer.

Peter Keller wrote:

>>Personally I prefer a nice floppy hat for shade to a hot helmet.

> Me too. And they can also be made brightly colored for visiblity, and
> give nearly as much protection against scrapes and bruises as a helmet!

:)-).

Visibility; in the 70's "Why do you wear that bright purple shirt when
you tour?" Haven't you noticed the way every car looks as they go past?

The real truth was that as a poor student, it is was the cheapest long
sleeve cotton shirt I could get hold of. Wore the apricot out first,
then had to wear the purple. King Gee shorts and topped off with large
floppy cotton hat like the kids now wear to school.

Hey, I just realised that whenever I had my floppy hat on, peeps were
always offering free, cold beers. Never had an offer since I've been
forced to wear my helmet.

TimC wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote

>> Did you hear the comment from one of the survivors of the Egyptian
>> bus crash? "Yes I knew the bus was fitted with seat-belts but no-one
>> else was wearing them and I didn't want to look like a woose".

> I can't quite remember -- was he the cop? If so, what a wonderful
> message.

I think they were all cops.

Theo

Peter Keller wrote:

> Oh what some FQ's (and others) will do for money!

There's a town in WA called Goomalling. In the 50s and 60s they had a FQ who
believed that an appendix was a very bad thing to have, and was the cause of
any and all ailments. By the mid 60s every person in town had had their
appendix removed, some twice.

Theo

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:00:00 +1100, Random Data wrote:

> [1] Doesn't electrolyte sound better for you than "salt".

It sounds better, but is wrong. An electrolyte is a substance, mixture or
solution which conducts electricity and is decomposed by the passage of
said electricity. 'Salts' is (are) the correct term for what you
describe, that is substances which when dissolved dissociate into positive
and negative ions.

Peter.

--

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:42:47 +0800, Theo Bekkers wrote:

> Peter Keller wrote:
>
>> Oh what some FQ's (and others) will do for money!

> There's a town in WA called Goomalling. In the 50s and 60s they had a FQ who
> believed that an appendix was a very bad thing to have, and was the cause of
> any and all ailments. By the mid 60s every person in town had had their
> appendix removed, some twice.
>
> Theo

I can quite believe it. A FQ like that can find appendixes (appendices?)
everywhere!

Peter

--

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 19:31:04 +1300, Peter Keller wrote:

> It sounds better, but is wrong.

In practical terms, the electrolytes in Gatorade, etc. are dissolved
potassium chloride and sodium chloride. The addition of a soluble salt to
water makes it an electrolyte, but the marketing blurb treats only the
salts themselves as the electrolyte.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"SCSI is *not* magic. There are fundamental technical reasons why it is

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 21:13:43 +1100, Random Data wrote:

The addition of a soluble salt to
> water makes it an electrolyte, but the marketing blurb treats only the
> salts themselves as the electrolyte.

ok. I stand corrected.
Oh these marketeers!

Peter

--

Peter Keller wrote:
> Random Data wrote:

>> [1] Doesn't electrolyte sound better for you than "salt".

> It sounds better, but is wrong. An electrolyte is a substance,
> mixture or solution which conducts electricity and is decomposed by
> the passage of said electricity. 'Salts' is (are) the correct term
> for what you describe, that is substances which when dissolved
> dissociate into positive and negative ions.

Salt solution is an electrolyte, but electrolyte is not a salt solution. The
liquid in your car battery is an electrolyte, don't put it in your water
bottle.

Theo

Peter Keller wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:42:47 +0800, Theo Bekkers wrote:

>> By the mid 60s every person
>> in town had had their appendix removed, some twice.

> I can quite believe it. A FQ like that can find appendixes
> (appendices?) everywhere!

I'll bet he had an anaesthetist as an accomplice. :)

Theo

On 2006-01-17, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
> Peter Keller wrote:
>> Random Data wrote:

>>> [1] Doesn't electrolyte sound better for you than "salt".

>> It sounds better, but is wrong. An electrolyte is a substance,
>> mixture or solution which conducts electricity and is decomposed by
>> the passage of said electricity. 'Salts' is (are) the correct term
>> for what you describe, that is substances which when dissolved
>> dissociate into positive and negative ions.

> Salt solution is an electrolyte, but electrolyte is not a salt solution. The
> liquid in your car battery is an electrolyte, don't put it in your water
> bottle.

Mmmm, tangy.

--
TimC
There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.