Helmets - need recommendations

MBT

May 10, 2007
Hello all!

I am looking to purchase my first bike helmet. I have done some online research (before going into my LBS) and the Bell or Giro lines look like good choices. Either one better? Other recommendations? I really would like something that offers tremendous ventilation, as I overheat and sweat terribly. And biking in NYC in the summer is brutal, especially when you are inbetween buses, trucks, cars, all blasting you with heat. Also, are visors really that helpful? I am willing to pay up to $100.

Thanks!

MBT said:
Hello all!

I am looking to purchase my first bike helmet. I have done some online research (before going into my LBS) and the Bell or Giro lines look like good choices. Either one better? Other recommendations? I really would like something that offers tremendous ventilation, as I overheat and sweat terribly. And biking in NYC in the summer is brutal, especially when you are inbetween buses, trucks, cars, all blasting you with heat. Also, are visors really that helpful? I am willing to pay up to $100.

Thanks!
In my opinion the only way to decide on the ventilation factor is to eyeball some helmets. For a hundred bucks, you'll be getting a good helmet. More money buys (sometimes) better looks and lower weight. THe ventilation thing is just looking at the vents to see how many and how large. IMHO, of course. Oh, and buy a white one!

Greetings,
You may have purchased one by now but for other members I'll add my opinion. I have a huge noggin and although I like the style of specialized and some giro lids I kept the same giro ventoux helmet for way too long since it fit me and I hadnt crashed it. I finally gave in and started looking and went with an 06 Giro Pneumo. It fit me better then the atmos and a few other "cheaper" models and then found it online for about half what it goes for in most places. In comparison to the two other helmets Ive had in the last 20+ years it doesnt exist when it comes to weight and the airflow and cooling is tremendous. Its adjustable, light, and cool and as a plus looks nice and I got a great price.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies and information. I appreciate it immensely and I'm sure it will help. There is SO much for me to learn and boy, I need some learnin'! :rolleyes:

Happy trails...
Casey

Thank you all for the info... it will be quite helpfull to me!

I am actually now looking FOWARD to buying a helmet with info vs. being intimidated and or without knowledge and being scared to ask.

THANK YOU!

-Casey