Helmets: Specialized Decibel vs Met Stradivarius II

jarrah

Feb 1, 2006
I'm looking to buy a new helmet, and I've tried on two that I think are okay and fall within my price range - the Specialized Decibel and the Met Stradivarius II however I'm a bit undecided.

Personally, the Decibel sits a bit high at the back of the head for my liking - but on the plus side it does accommodate my ponytail as a result.

The Strad on the other hand is a pain to get my hair through (I think I'd have to yank out part of the fitting mechanism to make it easier), but once that's taken care of the fit is more what I'm looking for - it feels like it encompasses my whole head better.

The Strad looks better whereas the Decibel looks like it would be better at cooling...

So what are everyone elses opinions? Has anyone ever rode with both of these helmets and can compare them?

Hi

I've got a Strad II and find the fit and adjustment the best of any of the Helmets I have tried on. Even though is only has 17 vents, the larger vents give an excellent airflow. cutting the inner plastic harness is not recommend as it would comprimise the structure and protection. another feature is the comfort of the complete brow band which extends all round the inside of the helmet. I think the design allows the riders head to fit deeper in side the helment, so it feels more protected.

Regards
Ken

jarrah said:
I'm looking to buy a new helmet, and I've tried on two that I think are okay and fall within my price range - the Specialized Decibel and the Met Stradivarius II however I'm a bit undecided.

Personally, the Decibel sits a bit high at the back of the head for my liking - but on the plus side it does accommodate my ponytail as a result.

The Strad on the other hand is a pain to get my hair through (I think I'd have to yank out part of the fitting mechanism to make it easier), but once that's taken care of the fit is more what I'm looking for - it feels like it encompasses my whole head better.

The Strad looks better whereas the Decibel looks like it would be better at cooling...

So what are everyone elses opinions? Has anyone ever rode with both of these helmets and can compare them?

Hi Kleng,

I've got a Met Strad. II and find it hits the mark in all the right areas:

* Well ventilated

* Light (I often forget I'm wearing it)

* Easily adjustable

* Doesn't make you look like a dork

The only area I've not tested is hitting a hard surface/object at 40Kph. :confused:

Buy the one that you can wear without compromising the engineering by making a modification.

Unless you ride backwards, I wouldn't worry about the back of your head because the helmet is a little higher than you like. As long as your head fits in well enough that an impact won't dislodge the helmet, don't worry. (BTW - Always wear the strap for this same reason... and don't remove anything designed to keep the helmet on your head)

In an accident, or otherwise, what are the chances that you will be hit in the back of the head by something that is limited to the bottom of the head, and will hit you hard enough to do damage? Even if you fall on concrete, straight backwards, the helmet will protect you unless something is protruding from the ground...

If both fit the same, and you could put them on and take them off with equal effort, then you would be OK to be concerned with the less critical issues. In this case, I think your choice is clear.

If you have an approved helmet that you are most likely to wear in a safe manner, that is the one you should buy. Easy to put on and take off is a big factor. Not modifying a helmet is a HUGE factor.

Hi DZ-015,

One of my friends crash tested a Strad 2 on a downhill section, the deep fitting of the helmet actually saved his ears as the side of his head hit the road. Helmet was a write off but he only had serious grazes.
I feel safer when the helmet comes down around my head, rather than sitting on top of it.

Regards
Ken

DZ-015 said:
Hi Kleng,

I've got a Met Strad. II and find it hits the mark in all the right areas:

* Well ventilated

* Light (I often forget I'm wearing it)

* Easily adjustable

* Doesn't make you look like a dork

The only area I've not tested is hitting a hard surface/object at 40Kph. :confused:

I have a mate who loves his Strad II. He had a Met 5th element before that, which got crashed (probably saved his life). I've crashed two 5th elements and both times they've saved me from some serious damage.

Thanks for all your advice guys.

I ended up going for the Stradivarius II as it just feels safer somehow because of the way it encloses my whole head, and squishing my pony tail inside the helmet when I wear it (so that I don't have to modify the helmet's seating mechanism).