Helmets what a headache

tottenham21

Nov 12, 2011
Need some help deciding on a good road helmet that won't brake my wallet, don't really want to spend more than $100 on it. Can you lot give me some feedback on any good places or websites to find good ones, I have been using my old mountain biking helmet but it just doesn't look right, any help will be greatly appreciated...

Most of the time if you simply take the visor off your MTB helmet then it is a Road helmet ...

If the visor doesn't obstruct your vision, don't worry about how it looks.

If you NEED a new helmet, then I recommend you just opt for either a BELL or GIRO helmet which fits your budget AND is as well vented on the upper portion as possible.

alfeng said:
Most of the time if you simply take the visor off your MTB helmet then it is a Road helmet ... If the visor doesn't obstruct your vision, don't worry about how it looks. If you NEED a new helmet, then I recommend you just opt for either a BELL or GIRO helmet which fits your budget AND is as well vented on the upper portion as possible.
After reading all the reviews on bell helmets I found the alchera euro model and it is really good and for $50 bucks you can't go wrong so I think I will be buying that one, why pay hundreds when I can save hundreds.....

Originally Posted by tottenham21 .

After reading all the reviews on bell helmets I found the alchera euro model and it is really good and for $50 bucks you can't go wrong so I think I will be buying that one, why pay hundreds when I can save hundreds.....

In case you haven't pulled the plug yet, here are some other road helmets priced well under $100. Bell Lumen, Specialized Echelon, Giro Stylus.

The Alchera is a good choice though. I wore one for a few years, and my only complaint was that when I got low on the drops it tended to droop over my eyes a la Beetle Bailey. The newer designs have more adjustability.

Yeah helmets are expensive, but think of the value, you crack your skull and are eating out of a tube the rest of your life, it is worth the extra $.

I bought a Giro Atmos ($~175), I rode with it for 2 rides before I got to use the helmet, hit head first at 25mph. Toasted the helmet, I did not even feel the hit to my head, no headache, nothing. Not saying things would have been different with any other helmet, but needless to say I bought another Atmos...

With or without a helmet you can wind up drinking through a straw. Through no fault of your own.

I think a helmet is a good idea. But watch the traffic around you.

---

$50 is enough to spend.

100 usd. is a good budget for a helmet, i would also check out the straps and attaching mechanism to find the perfect fit, and the size of course (S - M - L). I have an Scott helmet, the other day, while riding, i thought God i forgot my helmet at home, so I reach out with my hand and there it was ! so that gives you an idea of a lightweight + good fit helmet...

Remember that higher priced helmets are not necessarily any more protective. The higher price is often due to style, aerodynamics, decreased weight, increased ventilation, etc. From a safety standpoint, helmets like the Bell Citi (around $45) fare just as well in tests as many $175-$250 helmets. If you are a recreational or fitness rider or commuter, the minor difference in weight and aerodynamics really won't make any difference. If you are a competitive racer, then the extra $125+ might be worth it.

My wife and I both wear the Citi and my daugher has a $65 Giro all of which rated highly in safety tests and we find them comfortable. Some people don't like the Citi because it has a more rounded back and looks less aero, but some studies have suggested that its shape may reduce the likelyhood of torsion injuries to the neck if you land rolling, or is less likely to catch obstacles if you are sliding on your back.

I usually buy my helmets on closeout or sale and am able to get some of the higher end models for around or under $100.00. Also the top models tend to have better retention systems that are easier to adjust then the less expensive models.

Thank you all for the feedbacks, at the present moment I'm actually using my old mtb helmet till I get enough saved up to purchase a nice one around the $100 to $140 mark, I'm not planning on racing anytime soon so don't see the need for a fancy helmet just yet. Again thanks a lot lads.