Helmets

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Chip3130, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip3130

    Chip3130 Guest

    In the market for a new mtb helmet. Any suggestions/testimonials out there?
     
    Tags:


  2. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "chip3130" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In the market for a new mtb helmet. Any suggestions/testimonials out
    there?

    In increasing order of importance

    4. Is in your price range
    5. The right color
    6. Fits *your* melon
    7. Whatever your riding buddies use.

    This last is most important because you don't want to be ostracized for wearing the 'wrong' foamie.
    Much as you wouldn't want to be riding the 'wrong' bike.

    Pete
    pssst....they all pass the same 'testing' standards.
     
  3. Slash

    Slash Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 04:34:30 GMT, chip3130 <[email protected]> scribbled:

    >In the market for a new mtb helmet. Any suggestions/testimonials out there?

    I use a Giro Mojave '02. Fits my head, not too hot, doesn't look too shabby and seems to protect the
    noggin decently enough. Fairly adjustable, helmet hair isn't TOO bad, though it can definitely work
    wonders with the right humidity. I've come back a few times looking a lot like an 80's punk band
    reject, minus the color, attitude and leather pants. Only downside is that my visor snapped where it
    clicks into the helmet up front after I took a muddy sideways slide on a corner, such that it sort
    of hinges up and down now freely. Solved that with a bit of superglue though, no harm done. Helmet's
    good as new, though the elbow's still got a bit of a scar. ;)

    Mine ran about $60 at the time, I think the replacement for '03 was the Torrent?

    It may seem obvious to say it, but the key for helmet shopping is fit. Fit, fit, fit. If you try
    one, it may seem to fit fine, but as you try other models you may find that there are different
    levels of comfort that you don't normally notice at first glance. Little things like how the straps
    feel or the placement of vents can make a subtle, yet appreciable difference, especially when you're
    out there sweating your life away on the trail. Giro is probably the most recommended, because they
    have many models across a wide range of prices, and generally seem to fit the average head well.
    There are others, and they are equally as good (all helmets sold have to pass a certification level
    in the US) but add little things like adjustability, ventilation and weight-saving construction.

    Bottom line, go to a good bike shop or specialty store (REI, etc), and don't be afraid to give
    them all a try. Buy from a place that will let you take it back if it doesn't feel right after a
    few rides.

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"

    - The Onion
     
  4. In article <[email protected]>, chip3130 @lycos.com says...
    > In the market for a new mtb helmet. Any suggestions/testimonials out there?
    >
    >

    I have yet to find one that fits right, still waiting for someone to fill that custom helmet niche
    so I can send them a plaster case of my nogin.
    --
    _________________________
    Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com
     
  5. J'M Sm'Th

    J'M Sm'Th Guest

    Pete wrote:
    >
    > "chip3130" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In the market for a new mtb helmet. Any suggestions/testimonials out
    > there?
    >
    > In increasing order of importance
    >
    > 4. Is in your price range
    > 3. The right color
    > 2. Fits *your* melon
    > 1. Whatever your riding buddies use.
    >
    > This last is most important because you don't want to be ostracized for wearing the 'wrong'
    > foamie. Much as you wouldn't want to be riding the 'wrong' bike.
    >
    > Pete
    > pssst....they all pass the same 'testing' standards.

    Psssst. . .no they don't. Some pass more stringent standards than others, but they all have to pass
    the CPSC standards [IIRC].

    My favorite is my old 1972 K-Mart Bart Starr autographed Packers helmet. Complete with
    single bar cage.

    --
    J'm

    To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-
     
  6. J'M Sm'Th

    J'M Sm'Th Guest

    Chris Phillipo wrote:
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>, chip3130 @lycos.com says...
    > > In the market for a new mtb helmet. Any suggestions/testimonials out there?
    > >
    > >
    >
    > I have yet to find one that fits right, still waiting for someone to fill that custom helmet niche
    > so I can send them a plaster case of my nogin.

    Hannibal Lecter might like your noggin in a plaster case. Or maybe Chef Jeff--wait a minute,
    he's gone.

    --
    J'm

    To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-
     
  7. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "J'm Sm'th" <[email protected]> wrote

    > > Pete
    > > pssst....they all pass the same 'testing' standards.
    >
    > Psssst. . .no they don't. Some pass more stringent standards than others,
    but
    > they all have to pass the CPSC standards [IIRC].

    Actually, very few are submitted to Snell for further testing. And virtually *none* of the name
    brand lids. Here's the current list: http://www.smf.org/certlist/std_B-90A_B-95A_B-90C_B-95C.html

    Specialized seems to be the only recognizable brand name.

    Pete
     
  8. J'M Sm'Th

    J'M Sm'Th Guest

    Pete wrote:
    >
    > "J'm Sm'th" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > > Pete
    > > > pssst....they all pass the same 'testing' standards.
    > >
    > > Psssst. . .no they don't. Some pass more stringent standards than others,
    > but
    > > they all have to pass the CPSC standards [IIRC].
    >
    > Actually, very few are submitted to Snell for further testing. And virtually *none* of the name
    > brand lids. Here's the current list: http://www.smf.org/certlist/std_B-90A_B-95A_B-90C_B-95C.html
    >
    > Specialized seems to be the only recognizable brand name.
    >
    > Pete

    . . .which is why my lid is a Specialized.

    --
    J'm

    To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...