Helmets

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by n5hsr, Apr 29, 2006.

  1. n5hsr

    n5hsr Guest

    OK, I don't want to start a helmet flame war here. Just want some advice on
    helmets. I'm riding in the suburbs along a road posted at 45 MPH.
    Definitely want one.

    The problem is, apparently I have a bit of an odd shaped head. The few
    I've tried on so far fit a little too snuggly at the front and the back, but
    don't touch the sides at all. And these are the Adult helmets. I figure a
    badly fitting helmet would be more of a hazard than a help if I ever put it
    to the test.

    --
    Charles of Schaumburg.

    Tags:

  2. Neil Brooks

    Neil Brooks Guest

    On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:47:45 -0500, "n5hsr" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >OK, I don't want to start a helmet flame war here.

    Don't blame yourself. Back in 1986, Al Gore developed a few lines of
    code that programmatically trigger flame wars every time the word
    "helmet" is posted to the Internet.

    I say ... go with it.

  3. Rich Clark

    Rich Clark Guest

    "n5hsr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > OK, I don't want to start a helmet flame war here. Just want some advice
    > on helmets. I'm riding in the suburbs along a road posted at 45 MPH.
    > Definitely want one.
    >
    > The problem is, apparently I have a bit of an odd shaped head. The few
    > I've tried on so far fit a little too snuggly at the front and the back,
    > but don't touch the sides at all. And these are the Adult helmets. I
    > figure a badly fitting helmet would be more of a hazard than a help if I
    > ever put it to the test.

    1) Helmets do vary in "ovalness," so keep trying. Particularly try different
    brands besides the ubiquitous Bells and Giros.

    2) Helmets come with a selection of adhesive foam pads for the purpose of
    filling in the gaps, allowing you to customize the fit. You still want to
    get as close as possible, but it's unlikely any helmet will be perfect, and
    so you'll still need to add the pads. Allow for this when fitting in the
    store, since the samples won't have these pads installed.

    RichC

  4. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Rich Clark" <[email protected]> writes:

    > 2) Helmets come with a selection of adhesive foam pads for the purpose of
    > filling in the gaps, allowing you to customize the fit. You still want to
    > get as close as possible, but it's unlikely any helmet will be perfect, and
    > so you'll still need to add the pads. Allow for this when fitting in the
    > store, since the samples won't have these pads installed.

    Instead of removable pads, my Bell helmet has an internal adjustable
    headband, much like that of a hard hat.

    It works pretty good -- it only takes a single adjustment instead
    of fussing around with a bunch of separate pads, and it stays
    where it's adjusted.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  5. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "n5hsr" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > The problem is, apparently I have a bit of an odd shaped head. The few
    > I've tried on so far fit a little too snuggly at the front and the back,
    > but don't touch the sides at all.

    What brands have you tried? Giro tends to be a little more oblong than Bell,
    but shape does vary somewhat by model. Also, some Euro brands like Carrera
    may be more your shape.

  6. n5hsr

    n5hsr Guest

    "Rich Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "n5hsr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> OK, I don't want to start a helmet flame war here. Just want some advice
    >> on helmets. I'm riding in the suburbs along a road posted at 45 MPH.
    >> Definitely want one.
    >>
    >> The problem is, apparently I have a bit of an odd shaped head. The few
    >> I've tried on so far fit a little too snuggly at the front and the back,
    >> but don't touch the sides at all. And these are the Adult helmets. I
    >> figure a badly fitting helmet would be more of a hazard than a help if I
    >> ever put it to the test.

    > 1) Helmets do vary in "ovalness," so keep trying. Particularly try
    > different brands besides the ubiquitous Bells and Giros.
    >
    > 2) Helmets come with a selection of adhesive foam pads for the purpose of
    > filling in the gaps, allowing you to customize the fit. You still want to
    > get as close as possible, but it's unlikely any helmet will be perfect,
    > and so you'll still need to add the pads. Allow for this when fitting in
    > the store, since the samples won't have these pads installed.
    >
    > RichC

    So Bells, Giros, and "Schwinn Approved" are all I've run into.

  7. Rich Clark

    Rich Clark Guest

    "n5hsr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > So Bells, Giros, and "Schwinn Approved" are all I've run into.

    Call some bike shops to see which ones carry Louis Garneau, Tirreno, Trek,
    Specialized. Also I've noticed some variation in ovalness within brands,
    especially Giro.

    Make sure you clearly understand how a helmet *should* fit. REI's guide is
    reasonable, if retail-biased: http://tinyurl.com/pmpld

    RichC

  8. Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What brands have you tried?

    I think that's the key word: tried. I strongly suggest going to a
    store with lotza helmets, and trying them all on until you find one that
    fits your head.

    Bill

    __o | The first rule of intelligent tinkering
    _`\(,_ | is to save all the pieces.
    (_)/ (_) | - Aldo Leopold