Helmets

djlen

May 30, 2006
I stopped wearing my old Bell helmet because the d**n think looks like a stinkin' muffin on my head.
I ride every day and see guys wearing helmets that look really nice.....narrower and much more like what I'd like.
The LBSs in my area have very little selection and I'd rather buy one on line because of the savings and ability to shop around. The problem is that the pictures they show give me no idea of how it's going to look on a human head!!:)
Is there a sight that shows helmets on people's heads? I don't want to invest in another 'muffin' and then not wear it either.

Len

I assume you'r in the USA because of the "NJ" location. Presuming it's New Jersey. Isn't it close to New York? don't they have any bike shops there?
If not, what you should do is find a triathlon club nearby, and talk to some of the guys there, see what they wear on their noggins...

Personally, I do not give a d**n what my helmet looks like, as long as it is comfortable. But if you really care about looks, then you have two choices. Find a store that has a helmet that looks good to you and see whether it fits you, or buy online based on looks alone, and get stuck with something that does not fit.

Comfort, weight and cooling ability are all priorities. I just don't want something that looks like turban on my 'noggin'.
I live outside of Phila. and quite a distance from NYC, but I'll have to start looking harder for bike shops with better inventories of helmets.

Len

RickF said:
Personally, I do not give a d**n what my helmet looks like, as long as it is comfortable. But if you really care about looks, then you have two choices. Find a store that has a helmet that looks good to you and see whether it fits you, or buy online based on looks alone, and get stuck with something that does not fit.

Just look at bike magazines. They often have ads with people wearing them.

djlen said:
I stopped wearing my old Bell helmet because the d**n think looks like a stinkin' muffin on my head.
I ride every day and see guys wearing helmets that look really nice.....narrower and much more like what I'd like.
The LBSs in my area have very little selection and I'd rather buy one on line because of the savings and ability to shop around. The problem is that the pictures they show give me no idea of how it's going to look on a human head!!:)
Is there a sight that shows helmets on people's heads? I don't want to invest in another 'muffin' and then not wear it either.

Len
Okay, here is ONE observation which may be merely a matter of coincidence:
  • GIRO wearers seem to have smaller helmets
  • BELL wearers seem to have larger helmets
Now, that may be simply because people who buy GIRO helmets prefer a snugger fit than BELL helmet wearers ... OR, GIRO helmets may actually have a slighly smaller shell.

It is my recollection that GIRO was a separate company, at one time; and, BELL absorbed them a few years ago.

It is more important to wear any helmet than to be concerned about how you may look in it.

Expect to pay over $60, retail ... the more you pay, the better the venting.

As noted, go to a bike shop (or, anyplace that sells bikes -- even Wally World), to get a sense of the fit.

The least "mushroomy" helmet I've seen so far is the Giro Atmos. It also retails for about 180USD. You can get last year's model on sale for 125 or so. The Bell Sweep R is also reasonably good looking too, and quite a bit less expensive (Retails about 125 for the new model). As suggested above, just try them on and see what's comfortable and looks good. Every bike shop I've ever been in has had a mirror for people trying on clothes/glasses/helmets.

djlen said:

Len
Get a Specialized Decibel ... one of the most 'compact' and cool helmets around.
Personally I use a Bell Ghisallo, not little but comes in orange and blue, our team's colors, and is half the price of the Giro Atmos.

li0scc0 said:
Get a Specialized Decibel ... one of the most 'compact' and cool helmets around.
Personally I use a Bell Ghisallo, not little but comes in orange and blue, our team's colors, and is half the price of the Giro Atmos.
The Specialized Decibel is the most compact helmet. How do I know? I am a small guy with a small head and used to look like an alien with all the other helmets I have used. I spent a lot of time looking for a compact helmet that doesnt fall into the Euro elite category and is still pretty compact. The most compact in the <200$ range is this one.

This is a good comparison here...
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2657

And the Gerolsteiner team uses Decibel. Look around for pictures. Talking about compact, you should check out the AG2R team helmet.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/jun06/dauphinelibere06/index.php?id=/photos/2006/jun06/dauphinelibere06/dauphinelibere067/Par796722

Its a Limar.

netscriber said:
The Specialized Decibel is the most compact helmet. How do I know? I am a small guy with a small head and used to look like an alien with all the other helmets I have used. I spent a lot of time looking for a compact helmet that doesnt fall into the Euro elite category and is still pretty compact. The most compact in the <200$ range is this one.

This is a good comparison here...
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=2657

And the Gerolsteiner team uses Decibel. Look around for pictures. Talking about compact, you should check out the AG2R team helmet.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/jun06/dauphinelibere06/index.php?id=/photos/2006/jun06/dauphinelibere06/dauphinelibere067/Par796722

Its a Limar.
Now you see how all those guys in those pics. all look normal....no mushroom heads, no marshmallows plopped on top of their heads?!!?
The Decibel does look small....any of the websites sell that puppy?

I checked out a couple of helmets today at the LBS and liked some of them. I ride a Trek and the Trek Vapor 3 looked pretty good. I also liked the Giro Havoc and the Bell X Ray. Now all I have to do is find an on line site that sells them. They are too high in the LBS. It's also really difficult to find much in yellow which would be my color of choice.

Len

who gives a **** what it loks like. It will look better than your brains all over the road!!!!!!

I'm inclined to tell you to tough it up and stop worrying about looks. But at some point, many of us cyclists do tend to succumb to the inner calling of .. vanity.

Yes, I said it, we are vain. Some more than others. Even those who choose not to go with the latest/hippest/coolest/hottest gear or duds are still .. vain.

That said, I understand the urge to look the part. If we can't ride like them, maybe we can [think] we look like them. I have a few helmets .. and a huge noggin. They all have to be XL. I try not to ride past any windows for fear of scaring myself looking like an alien with thi shuge thing on my head.

Where I differ is that I have not even once considered not wearing a helmet because I don't like the way it sits on my head. So I picked up [just] a Giro Atmos '06 model on ebay. Of the ones I own, and that are out there in my size, it has the smallest profile.

Suck it up, spend the time and money and be sensible. There is no substitute for trying out the helmets yourself in front of a mirror. You will not get a feel by looking at a site ..

Not a thing wrong with wanting to look good. I think I just might grab one of those Specialized decibels.....

I have the specalised decibel - highly reccomend it. Now that i've hit winter for the first time with this helmet - its getting a bit breezy - might need 2 get either a winter helmet or prolly a beanie / balaclava will be needed. but this is only because it is well vented.

Don't get me wrong - this is THE best helmet i've ever had. So comfortable - the venting is great - and its light as heck- it amazing :D.

I had NEVER been complimented about a helemt before .. until today, my second day out with the Giro Atmos. Guy pulls up behind me at a stop light and says: "Nice helmet." I didn't hear him at first .. or didn't think he was talking to me.

Even his son (or grandson) in the back seat asked where I got it from when we got to the next light. It was unexpectedly .. nice I suppose. I guess it IS a snazzy looking helmet.

:eek:

I had NEVER been complimented about a helemt before .. until today, my second day out with the Giro Atmos. Guy pulls up behind me at a stop light and says: "Nice helmet." I didn't hear him at first .. or didn't think he was talking to me.

Even his son (or grandson) in the back seat asked where I got it from when we got to the next light. It was unexpectedly .. nice I suppose. I guess it IS a snazzy looking helmet.

:eek: