Road Cycling · Public discussion

Help! 1st bike for racing

Started by Ray Thormund · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,239 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
31 December 2006
Last activity
31 December 2006
Original author
Ray Thormund
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,239
Views / 30 days
2
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi, I'm new and I've decided to get into road racing. My college has a cycling club and I have experience with other aerobic sports. I've narrowed my choice down to these three bikes (I'm on a bit of a tight budget):
    1. Trek 1200
    2. Giant OCR 2
    3. '06 Scott Speedster S40
    Would all of these bikes work with clip-on aero bars for time trials?

    Thanks for your help.

  2. Ray Thormund said:

    Hi, I'm new and I've decided to get into road racing. My college has a cycling club and I have experience with other aerobic sports. I've narrowed my choice down to these three bikes (I'm on a bit of a tight budget):
    1. Trek 1200
    2. Giant OCR 2
    3. '06 Scott Speedster S40
    Would all of these bikes work with clip-on aero bars for time trials?

    Thanks for your help.


    I would pick the one your budget works the best with. You can race basically on anything. The bike I started racing on was a fuji finest (sora) triple. Worked great, ultra tuff (wrecked on occasion), and cheap (400$).
    Pick what fits you best and whatever you can afford and then go beat the [censored] outta it! Usually thats what happens to new racers 🙂. I would also take into account what your LBS sells. They are gonna be the guys repairing your bike after you pogo a pedal during a corner and it winds up eating curb.
    Good Luck!

  3. I've found all three bikes for the same price after shopping around (about $750).

  4. Ray Thormund said:

    Hi, I'm new and I've decided to get into road racing. My college has a cycling club and I have experience with other aerobic sports. I've narrowed my choice down to these three bikes (I'm on a bit of a tight budget):
    1. Trek 1200
    2. Giant OCR 2
    3. '06 Scott Speedster S40
    Would all of these bikes work with clip-on aero bars for time trials?

    Thanks for your help.

    I suggest first visiting a bike shop near you that specializes in good trade in bikes- especially in January.
    Many of the new imports you describe and othjer bikes like them would usually drop by a big amount after slight use and unlike a used car, you and an honest shop can tell if there's trouble easily - nothing to hide like on an abused car.

    Why be the one to take the hit?
    make sure the shop offers a warranty and be sure to take any bike out for at least an hour over varied venues.
    If you get the killer deal from a private party, pay a trusting shop to help you get it fit and serviced.
    Tailwinds and Happy New Year
    racer, ex coach, team sponsor, racing official, and 2-shop owner 35 years.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.