Help a Mountain Biker learn about Road Components.

guppie

Aug 10, 2004
I race mountain bikes so I am very familiar on those component lines. I use XTR for the weight savings and smooth shifting. I use XT in the crank for strength and XT shifters because XTR shifters are stupid expensive. I just built a 2007 Epic, which is an incredible ride. I am in my element on these components.

Road bikes...not so much.

I bought a 2004 Allez Elite with wireless computer (Specailized Turbo Elite) for $700. The owner was a mountain biker too but wanted to ride road a little. Never could get into it so the bike only had 75 miles on it. The components reflect that (still all nice and clean). Bike still had reflectors on it. My LBS said it was a great deal since a new 2006 (marked down) Elite is $999. Obviously there are some frame improvements. What do you guys think of this price?

The bike is 105 across the board and has a triple crank. Being 2004, do any of you see areas I could gain some efficiencies. I will be using this bike a lot to improve my mountain bike race times. I would expect more time on the road bike than my mountain bike.

At 190 pounds, I am concerned about the Alex 330 wheels. Is this my primary weak point? I have custom wheels on my mountain bike so I know how important these are, I just know jack about road wheels. Any suggestions (in the $400 range)?

Anything you experts see as a primary area of improvement, secondary area?

Thanks for your expertise and taking the time to respond.

guppie said:
I race mountain bikes so I am very familiar on those component lines. I use XTR for the weight savings and smooth shifting. I use XT in the crank for strength and XT shifters because XTR shifters are stupid expensive. I just built a 2007 Epic, which is an incredible ride. I am in my element on these components.

Road bikes...not so much.

I bought a 2004 Allez Elite with wireless computer (Specailized Turbo Elite) for $700. The owner was a mountain biker too but wanted to ride road a little. Never could get into it so the bike only had 75 miles on it. The components reflect that (still all nice and clean). Bike still had reflectors on it. My LBS said it was a great deal since a new 2006 (marked down) Elite is $999. Obviously there are some frame improvements. What do you guys think of this price?

The bike is 105 across the board and has a triple crank. Being 2004, do any of you see areas I could gain some efficiencies. I will be using this bike a lot to improve my mountain bike race times. I would expect more time on the road bike than my mountain bike.

At 190 pounds, I am concerned about the Alex 330 wheels. Is this my primary weak point? I have custom wheels on my mountain bike so I know how important these are, I just know jack about road wheels. Any suggestions (in the $400 range)?

Anything you experts see as a primary area of improvement, secondary area?

Thanks for your expertise and taking the time to respond.

Just look at similar price points for the road components as compared to the MTB stuff that you are more familiar with. As you know, mid-price gives nice performance but with more weight and less nice finish and maybe a bit less durability than the higher priced stuff-which as you say is stupid expensive (i.e 105 vs. Dura-Ace). You can get a nice quality pair of custom wheels for less than $400. Ultegra (or Centaur) hubs with Mavic or Velocity rims quality built with 15/14 spokes will do you well.

I personally think that the mid-priced Campy stuff (Veloce or Centaur) is a good value and all Campy is more rebuildable than Shimano.

No need to "upgrade" anything on this bike.

Besides, you intend to use it for training. If anything you want it to be less efficient. :p

As a general rule, road bikes are unlike mountain bikes in that higher tech ≠ better performance. Add two more inches of suspension travel to a MTB and you've got a different bike (in terms of capabilities). There's no equivalent in road bikes. Just incremental improvements that cost exponentially more to acquire.

Just be sure the fit is right, then ride.

guppie said:

I concur with DMF - for training, 105 on your bike is more than adequate.

An approximate comparison of road and mtb parts would be:
XTR = DA
XT = Ultegra
Deore/LX = 105
Alivio = Tiagra
Altus = Sora

RE: your wheels, not sure of that particular wheelset, but for $400 (I presume that's USD), a bulletproof custom wheelset is certainly within reach.

n

Depending on your fitness level and terrain you ride on, you might want to change the triple crank to a double and change to a cassette with a tighter range. You will have to ride a bit to find out.

I cannot help you with the wheels.