Help a newbie out!..buying a new bike?

J-Boogie

Mar 14, 2013
Hello all! My name is Justin and I have been casually cycling in group rides and on trails for about a decade now, but have gotten more serious about road biking in the last six months. During that time, I have began riding with a group that challenges my abilities every time I ride with them. To keep up with them, I have modified my diet, lost 20 pounds, and begin running a few times per week to cross train, using a heart rate monitor for threshold training. my question involves my current bike. It is a 1998 Trek 470, which was an entry level road bike back then. It has an aluminum frame, chrome moly fork and quill stem, with Shimano RSX 7 speed components. I am considering purchasing a new bike, with a budget of 1500 dollars. I would like to know what you guys would consider my best purchase for that amount of money, and would also like to hear your thoughts about how a new bicycle will improve my performance and cycling experience. I will go ahead and state that the group I'm riding with currently average is 22 miles per hour over a 30 mile ride, with short periods of 25 or 26 miles per hour . I currently way 160 pounds, and I should state that my current bike is too big for me. Thanks, Justin

Well, if you're hanging with them at that pace, I'd suggest something along the lines of a CAAD 10, Allez, or Madone 2.1 with a 105 group.

MSRP on the Cannondale and Specialized is a little above $1500, but most shops will haggle. The Trek is priced at ~ $1450.

Look at Giant, too. Above all, look at the warranty.

Hi Justin,
Keep up the training. If you're really small, there's a great deal on a Fuji SL 1 road bike with Shimano Ultegra (the component group above 105) for $1399. Link: http://gear.cleansnipe.com/threads/269-Great-Bike-Deal-Fuji-SL-Carbon-Road-Bike-w-Ultegra

Or, the Diamondback Podium 5 with Shimano 105 for $1549. Link: http://www.cleansnipe.com/Searchresults.aspx?q=Diamondback%20Podium%205%20Road%20Bike

You can also get cash back through CleanSnipe, where I work.

As a former bike racer, a good bike does help! Not only is it lighter (important), but the frame and components are more durable (really important!).

Good luck,
Christine

If you like aluminum and your budget is 1,500 than you cannot go wrong with the CAAD 10 or Madone 2.1. I have the 2012 Trek 2.1 Apex and my second choice was the CAAD 10.

Thanks guys! I am leaning towards the CAAD 10...THEYRE SO SEXY! BTW, I am looking for a 54cm bike.

Originally Posted by J-Boogie .

Thanks guys! I am leaning towards the CAAD 10...THEYRE SO SEXY! BTW, I am looking for a 54cm bike.
Go to a shop and take a ride on a 54 cm CAAD, if they have a demo available. Everyone's 54 cm isn't the same. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

I'm not into the whole "which is best" thing, as I think all of those brands are excellent bikes (including the Fuji and DB). But there are a ton of people who believe that the CAAD 10 frame is the best aluminum frame out there.