help a newbie to get started

Tux

Guest
Hi,

I am a 40 year old computer geek who once used to do a lot
of sports and who has had no exercise in 5 years. I got
myself a Polar A5 heart rate monitor and I completed the
walking test. The results are predictable: WI=24 (very
poor). Not a real surprize with a BMI of 29 (overweight) I
suppose...

I figured that I want to exercise at about 75% of my maximal
heart rate to both loose weight and to exercise my heart.
What I am not sure about is how long and how often I should
walk (considering my lousy BMI and WI numbers).

Could you point me to some good documents on the web helping
me to define an exercise schedule?

Thanks!

TW

PS: I also have a follow up question about the A5. When I
press the exercise mode I get a reading of 117-153. Are
these the minimal and maximal heart-rates for effective
exercise? Does this mean that I should aim at 75% of
153? Why to I need the lower figure anyway?!

"tux" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I am a 40 year old computer geek who once used to do a lot
> of sports and who has had no exercise in 5 years. I got
> myself a Polar A5 heart rate monitor and I completed the
> walking test. The results are predictable: WI=24 (very
> poor). Not a real surprize with a BMI of 29 (overweight) I
> suppose...
>
> I figured that I want to exercise at about 75% of my
> maximal heart rate to both loose weight and to exercise my
> heart. What I am not sure about is how long and how often
> I should walk (considering my lousy BMI and WI numbers).
>
> Could you point me to some good documents on the web
> helping me to define an exercise schedule?
>
> Thanks!
>
> TW

The walking section of runnersworld.com has great
information.

http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-152,FF.html

http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/WalkProgram.html

tux wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a 40 year old computer geek who once used to do a lot
> of sports and who has had no exercise in 5 years. I got
> myself a Polar A5 heart rate monitor and I completed the
> walking test. The results are predictable: WI=24 (very
> poor). Not a real surprize with a BMI of 29 (overweight) I
> suppose...
>
> I figured that I want to exercise at about 75% of my
> maximal heart rate to both loose weight and to exercise my
> heart. What I am not sure about is how long and how often
> I should walk (considering my lousy BMI and WI numbers).
>
> Could you point me to some good documents on the web
> helping me to define an exercise schedule?
>
> Thanks!
>
> TW
>
> PS: I also have a follow up question about the A5. When I
> press the exercise mode I get a reading of 117-153.
> Are these the minimal and maximal heart-rates for
> effective exercise? Does this mean that I should aim
> at 75% of 153? Why to I need the lower figure anyway?!

back up a page (click on the "sample" title), then chose the
"prescription components" link to see the discussion on
intensity, duration, & *frequency*. Start with 3-5
days/week; possibly dividing your daily total into 2-3
sessions if necessary. Good luck & have fun! bj

reader2.wanadoo.fr...