help a newbie to get started

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Tux, Mar 17, 2004.

  1. Tux

    Tux Guest

    Hi,

    I am a 40 year old computer geek who once used to do a lot
    of sports and who has had no exercise in 5 years. I got
    myself a Polar A5 heart rate monitor and I completed the
    walking test. The results are predictable: WI=24 (very
    poor). Not a real surprize with a BMI of 29 (overweight) I
    suppose...

    I figured that I want to exercise at about 75% of my maximal
    heart rate to both loose weight and to exercise my heart.
    What I am not sure about is how long and how often I should
    walk (considering my lousy BMI and WI numbers).

    Could you point me to some good documents on the web helping
    me to define an exercise schedule?

    Thanks!

    TW

    PS: I also have a follow up question about the A5. When I
    press the exercise mode I get a reading of 117-153. Are
    these the minimal and maximal heart-rates for effective
    exercise? Does this mean that I should aim at 75% of
    153? Why to I need the lower figure anyway?!

    Tags:

  2. Beverly

    Beverly Guest

    "tux" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a 40 year old computer geek who once used to do a lot
    > of sports and who has had no exercise in 5 years. I got
    > myself a Polar A5 heart rate monitor and I completed the
    > walking test. The results are predictable: WI=24 (very
    > poor). Not a real surprize with a BMI of 29 (overweight) I
    > suppose...
    >
    > I figured that I want to exercise at about 75% of my
    > maximal heart rate to both loose weight and to exercise my
    > heart. What I am not sure about is how long and how often
    > I should walk (considering my lousy BMI and WI numbers).
    >
    > Could you point me to some good documents on the web
    > helping me to define an exercise schedule?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > TW

    The walking section of runnersworld.com has great
    information.

    http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-152,FF.html

    > PS: I also have a follow up question about the A5. When I
    > press the exercise mode I get a reading of 117-153.
    > Are these the minimal and maximal heart-rates for
    > effective exercise? Does this mean that I should aim
    > at 75% of 153? Why to I need the lower figure anyway?!

  3. Speacock

    Speacock Guest

    http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/WalkProgram.html

    tux wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a 40 year old computer geek who once used to do a lot
    > of sports and who has had no exercise in 5 years. I got
    > myself a Polar A5 heart rate monitor and I completed the
    > walking test. The results are predictable: WI=24 (very
    > poor). Not a real surprize with a BMI of 29 (overweight) I
    > suppose...
    >
    > I figured that I want to exercise at about 75% of my
    > maximal heart rate to both loose weight and to exercise my
    > heart. What I am not sure about is how long and how often
    > I should walk (considering my lousy BMI and WI numbers).
    >
    > Could you point me to some good documents on the web
    > helping me to define an exercise schedule?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > TW
    >
    > PS: I also have a follow up question about the A5. When I
    > press the exercise mode I get a reading of 117-153.
    > Are these the minimal and maximal heart-rates for
    > effective exercise? Does this mean that I should aim
    > at 75% of 153? Why to I need the lower figure anyway?!

  4. Clara Powell

    Clara Powell Guest

  5. Bj

    Bj Guest

    back up a page (click on the "sample" title), then chose the
    "prescription components" link to see the discussion on
    intensity, duration, & *frequency*. Start with 3-5
    days/week; possibly dividing your daily total into 2-3
    sessions if necessary. Good luck & have fun! bj

    reader2.wanadoo.fr...