Help adjusting Raleigh 3 speed

Andy

Guest
I picked up a used 3 speed Raleigh Sports bike. I can't
figure out how to adjust
the wire that sets the speeds. As it is now, it shifts from
1st gear to other gears while I am riding it.

Can someone tell me how to adjust it.

Thanks.

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:50:05 +0000, Andy wrote:

> I picked up a used 3 speed Raleigh Sports bike. I can't
> figure out how to adjust
> the wire that sets the speeds. As it is now, it shifts from
> 1st gear to other gears while I am riding it.
>
> Can someone tell me how to adjust it.
>
> Thanks.

I've always just put the gear selector in "2" and adjusted the cable
tension until 2nd gear works flawlessly and all three should work.
Probably a more scientific way to do this, but it works for me. :p

BTW, make sure to use a good oil in your hub, not 3 in 1 or wd40, I find
regular automotive engine oil to work quite well. The pawls should click,
but not CLACK. :D

> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:50:05 +0000, Andy wrote:
>
> > I picked up a used 3 speed Raleigh Sports bike. I can't
> > figure out how to adjust
> > the wire that sets the speeds. As it is now, it shifts
> > from 1st gear to other gears while I am riding it.
> >
> > Can someone tell me how to adjust it.
> >
> > Thanks.

> I've always just put the gear selector in "2" and adjusted
> the cable tension until 2nd gear works flawlessly and all
> three should work. Probably a more scientific way to do
> this, but it works for me. :p
> BTW, make sure to use a good oil in your hub, not 3 in 1
> or wd40, I find regular automotive engine oil to work
> quite well. The pawls should click, but not CLACK. :D>

Thanks. Another 3 speed I used to have was easy to adjust.
You just put
it in second gear and adjusted the nut until the mark was
centered.