HELP !!! Advice

willimp12

Apr 1, 2014
Hi everyone,
what would you recommend?

I'm looking for my first road bike EVER. I went to my local bike shop and they showed me those two bikes. I'm looking for a good road bike for races, casual riding and eventually triathlon. :

Argon 18 Krypton 2013 all 105 for 1900$ (Carbon)

Cannondale Caad10 3 ultegra 1900$ (aluminium)

I went online and found 2 used bikes which are:

The Cervelo S1 2009 (Ultegra, less than 1000km or 700 miles) 1700$

Trek Madone 5.2 2011 (ultegra, new tyres Continental Grand Prix 4000 and Bontrager Race X Lite wheelset) 8000km or 5000 miles 1800$

What would be the best option

Thanks for your help
smile.gif

For me I choose the Trek Madone 5.2 2011 too ,You can choose the bike as a new bike.It didn't have the different between new and old

All of the below comments are just an opinion.

I hate to say this but I wouldn't get the Cannondale because it's no longer a brand but just a label put out in the same Chinese factory for Dorel Industries that makes all sorts of low priced bikes like GT, Mongoose, Iron Horse, Roadmaster, and Schwinn just to list the ones I can remember. In addition it's a boring bike because everyone has one. That should raise a ruckus among us.

Trek? Really? Everyone and their brother owns a Trek, yawn, another boring choice but it does have Ultegra, whoopee!

So that leaves the Cervelo and the Krypton in my opinion, note I used the word Opinion twice now. The Cervelo is more of a tri bike which is made more aerodynamic because a tri rider can rarely draft another rider, if you want to do that sort of discipline then get the Cervelo, otherwise get the Krypton because it's more of a conventional design making long rider a tad more comfortable as well. Either of those two bikes won't have the boring no second looks like the Trek and the Cannondale will give you.

However having said that you need to ride both and see which you like the best...fine ride all 4 and see which one you like best but don't blame me if you see people on the side of the street sleeping when you roll by on either the Cannondale or the Trek.

I like the CAAD. The 10 has a solid reputation for a "cheap" race bike.

As far as yawn material, Specialized tops the yawn brand list but anything equipped with Shimano gets a double yawn ;)

Seriously, the Ultegra stuff does work very well.

Originally Posted by willimp12
I'm looking for my first road bike EVER...
Those are all very nice bikes. My advice though, is not to blow your cycling budget on only a bike. Make sure you have cashola left over for the other important bits. You need at least a few sets of good ride clothing, commonly referred to at kit, helmet, shoes, pedals and a laundry list of other items. All together, these items add up; without them you are not getting the full experience.

Be prepared that it is not as easy as it looks. Apart from the dollars, becoming a good cyclist takes a large investment in time and effort. Gains come over months and years, not days and weeks. Don't be disheartened when the old guy with asthma and a bike from a previous millenia with stem shifters and bent handlebars cleans your clock on a group ride, keep at it.