HELP: Attaching rear bike rack to cycle WITHOUT rear rack mounts

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by MEvans, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. MEvans

    MEvans Guest

    Just casting around for ideas here.

    I am taking a supported ride (yer basic 'credit card' tour), but I'd like to
    have a rear rack with a top mounted 'trunk' pack (NOT panniers)

    HOWEVER... the Felt F65 frame that I am using does not have rack mounts on
    the frame. (I know, I know... why didn't I choose a bike with a rack mount?
    For the deal I got, and the quality of this bike, it was way down on my
    list)

    Is there any sort of reliable rack mounting system for frames that do not
    have rack mounts? I see the 'one point' under seat rack, but I don't think
    that would be strong enough to hold a modest rear 'trunk' pack

    thanks for any help!

    Mark

    --
    REMOVESPAM in reply address

    --
    REMOVESPAM in reply address

    Tags:

  2. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Just casting around for ideas here.
    >
    > I am taking a supported ride (yer basic 'credit card' tour), but I'd like to
    > have a rear rack with a top mounted 'trunk' pack (NOT panniers)
    >
    > HOWEVER... the Felt F65 frame that I am using does not have rack mounts on
    > the frame. (I know, I know... why didn't I choose a bike with a rack mount?
    > For the deal I got, and the quality of this bike, it was way down on my
    > list)
    >
    > Is there any sort of reliable rack mounting system for frames that do not
    > have rack mounts? I see the 'one point' under seat rack, but I don't think
    > that would be strong enough to hold a modest rear 'trunk' pack
    >
    > thanks for any help!

    The usual thing is to use "P" clamps on your seat stays to anchor the
    rack stays. Many racks come with them (especially the cheap ones), and
    if not, a local hardware store or bike shop will probably have them.

    newsgroups if possible).

  3. rjdennis

    rjdennis Guest

    if you just want a trunk, any bike store can get a support that
    attaches simply to the seat post, harris cycling or rivendell has more
    complex solutions that allow you to carry more stuff w/o panniers..r