HELP - Avid Mech chirps when not braking or pedaling

rkrans

Sep 18, 2004
Hi,
I have a Giant NRS which I built up last year. I have recently began to have problems with my Avid mech. The rear brake makes a chirping raquet - but only when I STOP pedaling and coast. The sounds subsides as soon as I feather the brake lever. I have tried many different positions of the caliper and pad - the sound goes away - then returns after about 5 miles of riding. If the bike is not making sound then I can induce the sound by turning right. I have also tried new pads - several LBS "professional" adjustments -and the sound just keeps coming back.

Everywhere I look I get results about brake noise during braking - my noise only occurs when I'm not braking (after riding several miles) and even if I set the pads wide apart. My only thoughts are that something is wrong with the hub, wheel, or frame. I'd really appreciate any information or ideas - I don't want to spend extra cash on new brakes, especially if that's not the problem.

Thanks,
Rick

rkrans said:
Hi,
I have a Giant NRS which I built up last year. I have recently began to have problems with my Avid mech. The rear brake makes a chirping raquet - but only when I STOP pedaling and coast. The sounds subsides as soon as I feather the brake lever. I have tried many different positions of the caliper and pad - the sound goes away - then returns after about 5 miles of riding. If the bike is not making sound then I can induce the sound by turning right. I have also tried new pads - several LBS "professional" adjustments -and the sound just keeps coming back.

Everywhere I look I get results about brake noise during braking - my noise only occurs when I'm not braking (after riding several miles) and even if I set the pads wide apart. My only thoughts are that something is wrong with the hub, wheel, or frame. I'd really appreciate any information or ideas - I don't want to spend extra cash on new brakes, especially if that's not the problem.

Thanks,
Rick

have you tried re-routing the cables ? V brakes tend to be more sensitive to this as the cable adds part of the tension when your not touching the lever .
sorry can´t think of anything else but I´ll ask about .

Thanks for the reply,

I think my cable routing is pretty good - I have Avid's FMJ system. But now that you mention it I think I can try and replace the cable and some of the housing that's not metal. I'll post my results when I get a chance to work on my bike.

Thanks,
Rick

artmichalek said:
It's not the brakes. My guess would be either a bad hub bearing and/or a bent axel.
I was sorta thinking along similar lines. Without access to another disc ready wheel I'm not sure how to test for this though - any ideas?

Thanks for your response,
Rick

BTW - my wheelset has about 2000 miles on it- recently rebuilt Rhyno Lite XL's w/ XT hubs.

There are a couple of ways you can check out the hub that you have. Take the wheel off of the bike. Give the end of the axel a few turns with your hand. If there's a stiff spot it's bent. There also shouldn't be any play in the bearings. Since you can initiate the chirping sound by turning right, I'm guessing this is the problem.