Help, best cycling shoes to purchase online?

rclouviere

Apr 10, 2011
I want to order some good cycling shoes (price range around $120 to $175). Please give me some advice and about which shoes, and where to get them.

thanks

Get shoes that fit. Make sure that they have the same hole comfiguration in the sole as you have on the cleats. Most ATB shoes have two holes in the sole as opposed to the three holes of a road shoe. I have found that when I order shoes, they fit better if I go up a size if using European measuring. Here is a chart for converting your English Shoe Size to the European Shoe Size: http://www.mukluks.org/shoe-sizes.htm

You can buy shoes at your LBS, but for a better selection and better prices, you might want to shop online. Here are my two favorite sources:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/TopCategory_10052_10551_400009_-1_400009_Y
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCategory_10053_10052_202362_-1_202330_202330

I sent to my local store. Really poor selection. However, I tried on some Specialized shoes and determined my size. Would that size be consistent with other brands?

Specialized is pretty consistent with the other brands. All of the major brands are pretty close to each other. It is the off brands where you have to be careful.

Most LBS's don't have a killer selection of shoes. There are a lot of shoes out there in all different sizes, and since a store gets taxed on their unsold stock, most shop owners don't want to keep a lot of specific stock on hand. They could probably order a pair for you, but you could do that yourself.

I love SIDI's but they can run narrower than say Shimanos. Too bad you can't get to a shop, find what fits, and order online. Shoes are very important.

Get it done at a shop if at all possible. Sizing varies across all brands (and sometimes within brands) and the fit must be right or you will be in a world of pain (either litteraly or financially - when you have to buy another pair). I don't know about you but I certainly can't afford to guess at the fit of a shoe and get it wrong.

It is true that most shops only stock a couple of brands (there are five or six models in each brand and about 10-15 different sizes in each model), but if you go to enough shops you'll find a shoe that fits. A good place to start is a ubiquitous brand like Shimano since almost all shops can get hold of them.

Buying online is only for when you are sure of what will fit (brand, model and size), and this doesn't sound like you.

I too would say you need to visit as many shops as possible to at least find the correct size in the brand of shoe you want.

For instance, I wear a size 43 euro Shimano road shoe or a size 43 euro Shimano mtb shoe..Shimano sizing seems to be consistant for me across their different types of shoes.

But, a size 43 euro Sidi road shoe is too small for me (pinches my toes) and I've tried some other brands and they seem to vary quite a bit.

So I feel farely comfortable ordering Shimano shoes on-line, but if I wanted another brand I'd go to a bike shop. If my bike shop ordered me a pair of shoes and they didn't fit right, they'd take them back and order me another pair. If I do it myself on-line and they don't fit I can return them, but I'm out the shipping costs.

Originally Posted by rclouviere .

I want to order some good cycling shoes (price range around $120 to $175). Please give me some advice and about which shoes, and where to get them.

thanks
Go to any bike shop and ask for shoes in that price range. They will have them.

---

I paid $54 for my current pair of shoes. They fit well. They have held up well.

I have three pairs of road shoes. All have been purchased on line. One pair from the former Supergo and two others from Nashbar. I never paid over fifty dollars and always order shoes .5MM larger than the suggested size going by the suppliers charts. IMO it is best to have more than one pair of shoes just in case you go for a rain ride or get caught out in the rain.