HELP--blisters...



bike_lady

New Member
Nov 22, 2004
2
0
0
...in a place you'd have to marry me to see. :eek: I hate telling the world, but I need advice. I have given myself several blisters (of the variety you get on the bottom of your feet after walking too much--simple, unbroken pockets of pus) from friction against the saddle. I think it's primarily because of my habit of leaning the bike to one side while still in the saddle and standing on one tippy-toe at stoplights. It makes the saddle dig into my inner thigh (and elsewhere).

Yes, the first thing to do is quit doing that! I'm practicing a complete dismount at stoplights (my only worry is that when cars are behind me on the highway I won't be able to jump up fast enough for them). But I ride for hours at a time and I'm doing the MS 150 in a few weeks. I don't have time to give the cycling a rest even if I wanted to.

Treatment options? Prevention tips? My road bike has been fitted properly.

I would also like to know how to pedal standing up. Do I have to gear up a lot so I don't slip when I try to pedal in the standing position?

I've been cycling for a year. I bought my bike to do the 2004 MS 150, and the pain was horrendous. I've trained hard this year and also started commuting to work (30 miles a day). Love my bike. Hate my blisters. Thanks
 

dhk

New Member
Sep 1, 2003
2,259
0
0
74
bike_lady said:
...in a place you'd have to marry me to see. :eek: I hate telling the world, but I need advice. I have given myself several blisters (of the variety you get on the bottom of your feet after walking too much--simple, unbroken pockets of pus) from friction against the saddle. I think it's primarily because of my habit of leaning the bike to one side while still in the saddle and standing on one tippy-toe at stoplights. It makes the saddle dig into my inner thigh (and elsewhere).

Yes, the first thing to do is quit doing that! I'm practicing a complete dismount at stoplights (my only worry is that when cars are behind me on the highway I won't be able to jump up fast enough for them). But I ride for hours at a time and I'm doing the MS 150 in a few weeks. I don't have time to give the cycling a rest even if I wanted to.

Treatment options? Prevention tips? My road bike has been fitted properly.

I would also like to know how to pedal standing up. Do I have to gear up a lot so I don't slip when I try to pedal in the standing position?

I've been cycling for a year. I bought my bike to do the 2004 MS 150, and the pain was horrendous. I've trained hard this year and also started commuting to work (30 miles a day). Love my bike. Hate my blisters. Thanks
Do you have a good woman's saddle on the bike? If not, it's worth the money. A couple women I ride with here like Terry saddles a lot.

Next would be good bike shorts that fill well, and the chamois creme. I use Chamois Butt'r, Udderly Smooth, or Vaseline. If you want what Lance uses, the high-dollar medicated Swiss "Assos" is a good way to go....plus it tingles.
 

zaskar

New Member
Aug 3, 2003
869
0
0
Yea you NEED good shorts and Chamois creme it is a must as DHK posted. How ever the vasiline does not like to wash out of the chamois at least in my experience. and use some Neosporin on the saddle sores it works wonders on them, good luck.
 

bike_lady

New Member
Nov 22, 2004
2
0
0
zaskar said:
Yea you NEED good shorts and Chamois creme it is a must as DHK posted. How ever the vasiline does not like to wash out of the chamois at least in my experience. and use some Neosporin on the saddle sores it works wonders on them, good luck.
Got the good women's saddle, got the good shorts. Do y'all mean using chamois creme every single time, even for short (like 1-hour) rides? I have not been using it for my commute...I will pick pick up more this weekend. Thanks for the speedy replies!
 

zaskar

New Member
Aug 3, 2003
869
0
0
bike_lady said:
Got the good women's saddle, got the good shorts. Do y'all mean using chamois creme every single time, even for short (like 1-hour) rides? I have not been using it for my commute...I will pick pick up more this weekend. Thanks for the speedy replies!

Yes every time.