Help: Bottom bracket noise

FREDBLACK

Feb 27, 2006
Hello

i have just noticed this intermittent grinding noise in my bottom bracket. It is intermittent as in not continuous. It comes out once with every rotation of the crank. the noise is also there when i back-pedal.

Does anyone know what could be the reason for that noise? do i need a new BB?
I need to ride this whole week, and it wont be till Saturday that i get a chance to take it to the LBS for a check. Is there a possibility that the bottom bracket will quit on me at some point, and I will end up walking home?

thanks for your help.

FREDBLACK said:
Hello

i have just noticed this intermittent grinding noise in my bottom bracket. It is intermittent as in not continuous. It comes out once with every rotation of the crank. the noise is also there when i back-pedal.

Does anyone know what could be the reason for that noise? do i need a new BB?
I need to ride this whole week, and it wont be till Saturday that i get a chance to take it to the LBS for a check. Is there a possibility that the bottom bracket will quit on me at some point, and I will end up walking home?

thanks for your help.
It's possible you need a new BB. Have you dropped the chain off the chainring and listened to the bearings as you spin the crank?
If you've got 5K miles or more on a cartridge BB, or exposed it too heavy rain, grit or high-pressure water, wearout is very possible.
At any rate, don't believe it's going to give you any problems on the road this week. My experience has been the BBs can make noise for a long time before giving up.