Help ! - Buying a used bike - what to look for?

bidaas

Nov 10, 2004
Hi . I am 5' 9" male upgrading from my Huffy mtn bike to a road bike. I am low on knowledge of road bikes, and very low on budget.

One of the used bikes I have seen has the following specs:

- Old (around 80s) "Specialized Allez frame" - Is there a way to check how old?
- Japanese made Tange - What is Tange?
- 55 cm steel frame. (My inseam is 31" without shoes) The sticker is a bit damaged. What should I check on the frame - wear / tear / cracks etc? And how visible are they?
- Components are mixed. Shimano 600 Rear Der'lrs. Is that comparable to Sora or any other current Shimano? What should I look for in the Der'lr - wear/tear?
- Front Der'lr - Shimano 600
- Crank - Shimano 105 with 3 teethset. What should I look for in the crank?
- STI shifters on handle bar. 3 X 8 gears.
- Old wheels - AlexRim AT 450
- New tires - didnt see which ones
- Conventional 'welded' stem - not adjustable
- A 'Trek' seat - appears ok

The LBS has done some assembly - used a frame and components lying around.
I tried 'reverse' pedalling and the chain came off. While biking for a few feet, there was a sound as if the gear was not in position, but the noise went away after I worked the shifters.

What all should I look out for and what can be the price on this config.

I appreciate all the help.

bidaas said:
Hi . I am 5' 9" male upgrading from my Huffy mtn bike to a road bike. I am low on knowledge of road bikes, and very low on budget.

One of the used bikes I have seen has the following specs:

- Old (around 80s) "Specialized Allez frame" - Is there a way to check how old?
- Japanese made Tange - What is Tange?
- 55 cm steel frame. (My inseam is 31" without shoes) The sticker is a bit damaged. What should I check on the frame - wear / tear / cracks etc? And how visible are they?
- Components are mixed. Shimano 600 Rear Der'lrs. Is that comparable to Sora or any other current Shimano? What should I look for in the Der'lr - wear/tear?
- Front Der'lr - Shimano 600
- Crank - Shimano 105 with 3 teethset. What should I look for in the crank?
- STI shifters on handle bar. 3 X 8 gears.
- Old wheels - AlexRim AT 450
- New tires - didnt see which ones
- Conventional 'welded' stem - not adjustable
- A 'Trek' seat - appears ok

The LBS has done some assembly - used a frame and components lying around.
I tried 'reverse' pedalling and the chain came off. While biking for a few feet, there was a sound as if the gear was not in position, but the noise went away after I worked the shifters.

What all should I look out for and what can be the price on this config.

I appreciate all the help.

I´d say anything over 80-100 bucks is a ripoff provided all the components and the frame is in working condition. Look for cracks in the frame, rust. Check all components for wear. Is the shifitng ok try this while cycling not when its in a bike stand.? Chain coming off could just be a simple adjusting problem. Finally If your budget is tight, look on ebay there´s tons of great deals there.