Help! Buying first bike, need help deciding between two..

foild1

Aug 30, 2005
So far i have narrowed it down to what seems like cost, and best value.. please help me choose between the two bikes listed below..

-Specialized 2005 Allez Sport
-Trek 1200 (2005)

i have also looked at the giant ocr1

i would love a honoust opinion on the best bike to buy.. i am a beginner, weigh 180 lbs, and want to start riding with my local club.

Also, any other recomendations would be awsome.. im not stuck on those two bikes...

Thanks alot,

Cameron

foild1 said:
So far i have narrowed it down to what seems like cost, and best value.. please help me choose between the two bikes listed below..

-Trek 1200 (2005)

i would love a honoust opinion on the best bike to buy.. i am a beginner, weigh 180 lbs, and want to start riding with my local club.

Also, any other recomendations would be awsome.. im not stuck on those two bikes...

Thanks alot,

Cameron

Before you buy, check out the FELT bikes on (www.feltracing.com), more bang for the buck, I have one and so does the wife and they're great bikes.

foild1 said:

-Trek 1200 (2005)
Out of those 3 I'd really take a look at the OCR1. It has the best components of the group. I have an '03 Allez Sport that I bought used. Great bike but for approx. the same money I'd take the OCR1 instead. That is if the bike has a good fit. I'd rather have a bike that fit well than one with better components.

There are lots of personal reviews on all of the bikes you listed. A quick forum search will pull up quite a bit of good info.

Doctor Morbius said:
Out of those 3 I'd really take a look at the OCR1. It has the best components of the group. I have an '03 Allez Sport that I bought used. Great bike but for approx. the same money I'd take the OCR1 instead. That is if the bike has a good fit. I'd rather have a bike that fit well than one with better components.

There are lots of personal reviews on all of the bikes you listed. A quick forum search will pull up quite a bit of good info.

I couldn't agree more about the fit being the most important thing, but you start by looking at that bang for the buck thing which takes you to the fit thats right for you. The two main brands my LBS carries are Giant & FELT and for good reason, lets face it, Giant makes a good many frames out there with other manufactures names on them because they're good and of the three he mentioned I'd take the OCR1 also. The FELT's are also very good bikes and beat the Giants out on parts spec. I will say this, if you don't like a very responsive bike, fast -n- nimble, don't even look at the FELT's. A person who has been cycling for years would not be intimidated by the feel, but someone not seasoned might be. Someone who plans on racing should really take a look at them. Whatever the pick you should always make it fun, pick out a half dozen or so and go test riding, make it a century ride so to speak not a sprint and have fun picking out that special ride that makes you say: _____OH BABY - OH BABY!

cycleacross said:
When you make a decision, you might be able to use a coupon to buy it.

There is a 20% off coupon and a 99 Cent shipping coupon for Performance Bike. They are stackable, you can use both.

There is also a 10% off coupon for Nashbar.
CLICK HERE FOR THE NASHBAR COUPON

CLICK HERE FOR THE PERFORMANCE BIKE COUPONS

Hope that helps you.
Unbelievable!!!!!!! Someone asks for help and this arsewipe tries to offload his sales pitch. What the hell is happening to this forum?

I also agree that fit is most important. If they all feel the same to you, I would also go with the OCR1, I think the components are better than the allez and the 1200.

just went to the bike shop to check prices again, the OCR-1 is a little out of my price range..

these are my options

1) Trek 1200 ($1149.00 Canadian)
2) Giant OCR3 ($799.00 Canadian)
3) Specialized Allez sport 05' ($1100.00 Canadian)

They dont have a ocr2 available, and the ocr1 is 1499 canadian - i cant afford that + shoes/ clipless peddles.

Help!

OCR1's are absolutely fantastic. I have been commuting to work in Melbourne, Australia with mine for the last 11 months, and I have just passed 5,000km on the speedo. I commute 30km each day, 5 days a week - rain hail or shine and my blue 2004 OCR (Shimano 105) has taken it all in it's stride.

This heavy riding/commuting is what they are designed for. It is still light enough to race even the fastest commuter on the bike trail, and I often get up to 55khp on the flat.

In fact, I have just converted two of my nearby friends who also work into the city to purchase 2005 OCR1's and they now have been bitten by the bug and join me almost every day.

OCR1's are also great for entry level racing in clubs at all levels, where they will provide you with bomb proof durability until you decide you need something a kilo or couple of pounds lighter for serious racing. OCR1's weigh approx 9 kilos or 22 pounds.

I am very very happy with mine. Few tips, keep it serviced at least twice a year and gently hose off dirt, road grime with bio cleaners at least once a week. It is all in the preventative maintenance that will keep you riding the same bike for 10 years.

You cannot go wrong with an OCR1.

Why that's easy.

If they are at different dealers, pick the dealer that you like best and buy whichever bike they have. At a common price point there will be less diference in the bikes than there will be between the dealers.

If it's the same dealer, ride the bikes one after the other and pick whichever one "calls your name". Don't over analyze the decision or you'll screw it up.

Retro Grouch said:
Why that's easy.

If they are at different dealers, pick the dealer that you like best and buy whichever bike they have. At a common price point there will be less diference in the bikes than there will be between the dealers.

If it's the same dealer, ride the bikes one after the other and pick whichever one "calls your name". Don't over analyze the decision or you'll screw it up.
This is very sound advice. Not many people consider service after the sale in the purchase of their bike. I did, which is why I ended up buying my bike from a shop 30 miles away than a local one...they just treated me better and still do. Don't get too caught up in the component packages. These are all very good bikes for a beginner, from very reputable manufacturers.

When I was shopping I test rode all of those (I ended up with a LeMond) and of those you mentioned I felt that the Specialized was the best of the bunch. You, however may feel completely different. Give them all a test ride and get the one that calls out to you the most. If you can't decide, get the one that looks the best to you...that way you will want to ride it more.

There's nothing like a new road bike IMHO.

Cheers,

Brian