help. buying new road bike, need opinions

mksalazar

Jun 8, 2004
i work at the lbs, but it's my summer job and i've been away from bikes since i started law school last year. so.. i need some help analyzing the 3 bikes that i am looking at.

c'dale r800 caad8 (ultegra RD, 105 10-spd drivetrain, shimano 560 wheels)
specialized allez comp (same drivetrain, aksium wheels)
trek 2200 (same drivetrain, bontrager race wheel)

if anyone has experience with any of these bikes, let me know. we don't have any of them in my size at the shop, so i can't really get an accurate feel.

thanks

My opinion: Only you can determine the feel of each bike by riding it. Granted if you are not sized correctly you may not get the correct feel. Ride quality is set by bike geometry. You are the only one that can determine what ride quality you like. Asking other people for their opinion just relieves you of possibly having buyer's remorse, since you can always shift the blame. Have some self-confidence in your own ability to determine what it is about any bike that makes you like it over another one.

From my understanding, Bontrager wheels are pretty brutal compared to other wheels. I have a Trek 2100 that has Bontrager Select wheels but I have never used anything else to compare them too so I wouldn't know. I like my 2100 and it is pretty much the same. You would probably be satisfied with it. I have heard good things about the Specialized Allez as well.

Seeing as the drivetrains are all the same,your choice would have to be made based on the characteristics of the frame.If you're a taller rider,the Cannondale would probably be the best choice.

TooTall999 said:
Seeing as the drivetrains are all the same,your choice would have to be made based on the characteristics of the frame.If you're a taller rider,the Cannondale would probably be the best choice.

thanks for the help guys, my brand spankin new cannondale r800 is on the way. gotta love the EP! right fellow lbs employees? :D