help cant remove crank arm

granda

Jul 23, 2010
im having trouble removing the crank arm on an old peugeot i tried hammering the cotter pin out ,didnt work, i tried a vice,didnt work, i then had to drill the pin out but i still cant get the crank arm of
im going to put a new chainset on so i dont need to save anything exept the bottom bracket if its in good order
any help is greatly appreciated

You'll struggle to get a cottered BB chainset these days so you're going to need a new BB. You could try heat (careful of the frame) or hydraulic oil is a good penetrating oil. Other than that it's probably your cutter of choice

granda said:
im having trouble removing the crank arm on an old peugeot i tried hammering the cotter pin out ,didnt work, i tried a vice,didnt work, i then had to drill the pin out but i still cant get the crank arm of
im going to put a new chainset on so i dont need to save anything exept the bottom bracket if its in good order
any help is greatly appreciated
It's a bit brutal, but you can use a standard 4.5" hand grinder to remove the crank arms ...

You can buy a 4.5" hand grinder from HARBOR FREIGHT for about $20 when they are on sale.

granda said:
ive tried all else so its the grinder tomorrow morning wish me luck
Not to state the obvious, but remember to wear the appropriate safety equipment ...

AND, remember (especially) that the metal will get exceedingly hot.

so i finally managed to get everything cut off now to strip and paint the bike before refitting new stuff