Help! Carbon seat post welded to seat tube!

Mike S

Guest
As the above says, my carbon alien seatpost will not move
inside my columbus aluminium frame. I've tried penetrating
oil around the rim and from below (poured through the water
bottle eyelets). Also wrapped a hot rag around the joint. No
luck. It did have grease on it, though I haven't had to move
it for a few months. I've seen some posts around stuck
seatposts but none that successfully removed carbon
seatposts intact from alu frames.

Anyone have any ideas? TIA.

Originally posted by Mike S
As the above says, my carbon alien seatpost will not move
inside my columbus aluminium frame. I've tried penetrating
oil around the rim and from below (poured through the water
bottle eyelets). Also wrapped a hot rag around the joint. No
luck. It did have grease on it, though I haven't had to move
it for a few months. I've seen some posts around stuck
seatposts but none that successfully removed carbon
seatposts intact from alu frames.

Anyone have any ideas? TIA.

Dear Mike,

As has just been mentioned in another thread,
we have reached the limits of what rectal probing
can teach us.

Kang and Kodos

Originally posted by Mike S
As the above says, my carbon alien seatpost will not move
inside my columbus aluminium frame. I've tried penetrating
oil around the rim and from below (poured through the water
bottle eyelets). Also wrapped a hot rag around the joint. No
luck. It did have grease on it, though I haven't had to move
it for a few months. I've seen some posts around stuck
seatposts but none that successfully removed carbon
seatposts intact from alu frames.

Anyone have any ideas? TIA.

Dear Mike,

Regrettably, the grease may have caused
the problem:

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]&output=gplain

or

http://tinyurl.com/2g7eq

Apparently, some greases cause carbon
to swell orgulously.

Even more regrettably, you may have to remove
it like any other hopelessly stuck seat post,
namely by destructive means (which can be
quite satisfying).

Carl Fogel

> Apparently, some greases cause carbon to swell orgulously.

The Merriam Webster dictionary defines orgulous as
"proud". Can something swell proudly? Perhaps, but your
choice of words seems to only obfuscate the situation for
our dear reader.

Kyle

Originally posted by Kyle.B.H
> Apparently, some greases cause carbon to swell orgulously.

The Merriam Webster dictionary defines orgulous as
"proud". Can something swell proudly? Perhaps, but your
choice of words seems to only obfuscate the situation for
our dear reader.

Kyle

Dear Kyle,

"Thus Shakespeare began the story of the haughty
princes and their revenge for the abduction of Helen
in Troilus and Cressida, employing a colorful word first
adopted in the 13th century from Anglo-French "orguillus."
After the Bard's day, "orgulous" dropped from sight for
200 years; there is no record of its use until it was
rejuvenated by the pens of Robert Southey and Sir
Walter Scott in the early 1800s. Twentieth-century
novelists and journalists (including James Joyce and
Virginia Woolf) continued its renaissance, and today
"orgulous" is an elegant choice for proud writers
everywhere."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/mwwodarch.pl?Mar.14

[The pun, of course, is "proud writers."]

Actually, what spurred [pun] me on was:

"And then they came afore the Castle Orgulous,
and there was such a custom that there might
no knight come by that castle but either he must
joust or be prisoner, or at the least to lose his
horse and his harness."

I think that someone's frame is holding his seat
post prisoner, so he's gonna lose his horse or
harness or both to a hacksaw.

Obfuscatorily,

Tommy M.

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:23:00 GMT, carlfogel
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Actually, what spurred [pun] me on was: "And then they came
>afore the Castle Orgulous, and there was such a must joust
>or be prisoner, or at the least to lose his horse and
>
>I think that someone's frame is holding his seat post
>prisoner, so he's gonna lose his horse or harness or both
>to a hacksaw.
>
>Obfuscatorily,

That's quite an obfuscatory tap-dance you've done
there, Carl.

You were probably dancing to this song: The obfuscation
dance is your chance to obfuscate Everybody Do the obfuscate
do the do the obfuscate (uh huh, do it baby)

People say "Yo Carl you're really strange writin'" But
that's alright cuz I get things incoherent Ya stare, ya
glare, ya rarely try to compare me to g.daniels, but
slightly more coherently ...

Paraphrased from "The Humpty Dance" by Digital Underground.
--
Rick Onanian

<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Thus Shakespeare began the story of the haughty princes
>and their revenge for the abduction of Helen in Troilus and
>Cressida, employing a colorful word first adopted in the
>13th century from Anglo-French "orguillus." After the
>Bard's day, "orgulous" dropped from sight for 200 years;
>there is no record of its use until it was rejuvenated by
>the pens of Robert Southey and Sir Walter Scott in the
>early 1800s. Twentieth- century novelists and journalists
>(including James Joyce and Virginia Woolf) continued its
>renaissance, and today "orgulous" is an elegant choice for
>proud writers everywhere."
>
>http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/mwwodarch.pl?Mar.14
>
>[The pun, of course, is "proud writers."]
>
>Actually, what spurred [pun] me on was:
>
>"And then they came afore the Castle Orgulous, and there
>was such a custom that there might no knight come by that
>castle but either he must joust or be prisoner, or at the
>least to lose his horse and his harness."
>
>I think that someone's frame is holding his seat post
>prisoner, so he's gonna lose his horse or harness or both
>to a hacksaw.
>
>Obfuscatorily,

For Carl (il miglior fabbro), with the usual apologies to
W.S. Gilbert, Arthur Sullivan et al:

Major-General Fogel

The most prolific author in the wreck-bike-tech community, I
burn up Usenet bandwidth with abandon and impunity. I never
want for reason to meander from a thread's topic, So you can
count on finding out each time my dog picks up a tick.

My posts are rife with quotes from writers no one here can
recognize; The more obscure the reference, the more you'll
think me oh-so-wise. I ken no more of bicycles than codfish
know of calculus; My messages instead give boring histories
of "orgulous".

I've well surpassed in posts this month that prolix guy from
Boulder who'll Have otherwise have buried us with all _his_
weary folderol. In short, I am this newsgroup's writing
champ, panjandrum and mogul: Your humble servant I remain,
Carl (Poet Laureate) Fogel.

Please post-date this for 4.1.04.
-------------------------------
John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida Since 1983 Our
catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com

"Kyle.B.H" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<SrBac.148891$Cb.1530179@attbi_s51>...
> > Apparently, some greases cause carbon to swell
> > orgulously.
>
> The Merriam Webster dictionary defines orgulous as
> "proud". Can something swell proudly? Perhaps, but your
> choice of words seems to only obfuscate the situation for
> our dear reader.
>
> Kyle

Yo, Kyle,

Allow the dude a little poetic license - have you not heard
the phrase "swell with pride"?

If the OP can't glean his meaning from context he should be
letting a professional fix his issue.

App, who has no tolerance for intolerance.

Originally posted by Rick Onanian
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Actually, what spurred [pun] me on was: "And then they came
>afore the Castle Orgulous, and there was such a must joust
>or be prisoner, or at the least to lose his horse and
>
>I think that someone's frame is holding his seat post
>prisoner, so he's gonna lose his horse or harness or both
>to a hacksaw.
>
>Obfuscatorily,

That's quite an obfuscatory tap-dance you've done
there, Carl.

You were probably dancing to this song: The obfuscation
dance is your chance to obfuscate Everybody Do the obfuscate
do the do the obfuscate (uh huh, do it baby)

People say "Yo Carl you're really strange writin'" But
that's alright cuz I get things incoherent Ya stare, ya
glare, ya rarely try to compare me to g.daniels, but
slightly more coherently ...

Paraphrased from "The Humpty Dance" by Digital Underground.
--
Rick Onanian

Dear Rick,

I bask contentedly in the warm glow of
knowing that I am not only the first to use
"orgulously" on rec.bicycles.tech, but also
the first to use "obfuscatorialy."

I thought about doubling the -ly to -lly, but
the quality of mercy is not strained.

Carl Fogel

Originally posted by John Dacey
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Thus Shakespeare began the story of the haughty princes
>and their revenge for the abduction of Helen in Troilus and
>Cressida, employing a colorful word first adopted in the
>13th century from Anglo-French "orguillus." After the
>Bard's day, "orgulous" dropped from sight for 200 years;
>there is no record of its use until it was rejuvenated by
>the pens of Robert Southey and Sir Walter Scott in the
>early 1800s. Twentieth- century novelists and journalists
>(including James Joyce and Virginia Woolf) continued its
>renaissance, and today "orgulous" is an elegant choice for
>proud writers everywhere."
>
>http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/mwwodarch.pl?Mar.14
>
>[The pun, of course, is "proud writers."]
>
>Actually, what spurred [pun] me on was:
>
>"And then they came afore the Castle Orgulous, and there
>was such a custom that there might no knight come by that
>castle but either he must joust or be prisoner, or at the
>least to lose his horse and his harness."
>
>I think that someone's frame is holding his seat post
>prisoner, so he's gonna lose his horse or harness or both
>to a hacksaw.
>
>Obfuscatorily,

For Carl (il miglior fabbro), with the usual apologies to
W.S. Gilbert, Arthur Sullivan et al:

Major-General Fogel

The most prolific author in the wreck-bike-tech community, I
burn up Usenet bandwidth with abandon and impunity. I never
want for reason to meander from a thread's topic, So you can
count on finding out each time my dog picks up a tick.

My posts are rife with quotes from writers no one here can
recognize; The more obscure the reference, the more you'll
think me oh-so-wise. I ken no more of bicycles than codfish
know of calculus; My messages instead give boring histories
of "orgulous".

I've well surpassed in posts this month that prolix guy from
Boulder who'll Have otherwise have buried us with all _his_
weary folderol. In short, I am this newsgroup's writing
champ, panjandrum and mogul: Your humble servant I remain,
Carl (Poet Laureate) Fogel.

Please post-date this for 4.1.04.
-------------------------------
John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida Since 1983 Our
catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com

Dear Sir Gullivan,

As long liveth the merry man (they say)
As doth the sorry man, and longer by a day.

Nick Udall

P.S. It grieveth me sore that more knoweth
my aphorism from the late Gerald Durrell's
"My Family and Other Animals" than from
my box-office smash "Ralph Roister-Doister."

Kyle.B.H wrote:
>>Apparently, some greases cause carbon to swell orgulously.
>
> The Merriam Webster dictionary defines orgulous as
> "proud". Can something swell proudly? Perhaps, but your
> choice of words seems to only obfuscate the situation for
> our dear reader.

Carl was fearful of losing his pound of proud flesh.