HELP: Cartridge Bearing Size

Hi, I'm having trouble finding the correct size of the cartridge bearing to
get a replacement, and am hoping for some help. It's an Avocet front hub
on an old (late 80s or early 90s) Panasonic DX-3000 road bike I just
bought. One of the carts are frozen. Pictures below:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/emote623/CartBearing_closed.jpg
This is the pic of the good cart on the other side.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/emote623/CartBearing_open.jpg
This is the seized cart that I popped the seal in trying to lub the race. I
tried to tap it with a screwdriver, but only succeeded in deforming the
race, so replacement is the only option left.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/emote623/CartBearing_OD.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/emote623/CartBearing_ID.jpg

OD measurement is almost exact one inch. ID is a bit tougher to measure
w/o a caliper, but it looks like in the neighborhood of 3/8". At first I
thought the size is 6001, since that's a common part for carts for hubs,
but the 6001 is 28mm OD x 12mm ID x 8mm thick. The closest I found is size
6000, at 26mm x 10mm x 8mm. Is this correct? Or does the 6000 size never
appear in a bike hub? I have to mail-order this, so I'd like to get it
right the first time. Thanks for any help. I'm still trying to figure out
what to use to tap out the cart from the other size.

Hoang

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hi, I'm having trouble finding the correct size of the cartridge bearing

> get a replacement, and am hoping for some help. It's an Avocet front hub
> on an old (late 80s or early 90s) Panasonic DX-3000 road bike I just
> bought. One of the carts are frozen. Pictures below:
>
> http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/emote623/CartBearing_closed.jpg
> This is the pic of the good cart on the other side.
>
> http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/emote623/CartBearing_open.jpg
> This is the seized cart that I popped the seal in trying to lub the race.

> tried to tap it with a screwdriver, but only succeeded in deforming the
> race, so replacement is the only option left.
>
> http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/emote623/CartBearing_OD.jpg
> http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/emote623/CartBearing_ID.jpg
>
> OD measurement is almost exact one inch. ID is a bit tougher to measure
> w/o a caliper, but it looks like in the neighborhood of 3/8". At first I
> thought the size is 6001, since that's a common part for carts for hubs,
> but the 6001 is 28mm OD x 12mm ID x 8mm thick. The closest I found is size
> 6000, at 26mm x 10mm x 8mm. Is this correct?

Yes, that is a standaard size for a bearing in the metric world. Better is
to get hold of a caliper to be 100% sure.

Lou.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hi, I'm having trouble finding the correct size of the cartridge bearing
> get a replacement, and am hoping for some help. It's an Avocet front hub
> on an old (late 80s or early 90s) Panasonic DX-3000 road bike I just
> bought. One of the carts are frozen. >

> OD measurement is almost exact one inch. ID is a bit tougher to measure
> w/o a caliper, but it looks like in the neighborhood of 3/8". At first I
> thought the size is 6001, since that's a common part for carts for hubs,
> but the 6001 is 28mm OD x 12mm ID x 8mm thick. The closest I found is size
> 6000, at 26mm x 10mm x 8mm. Is this correct? Or does the 6000 size never
> appear in a bike hub? I have to mail-order this, so I'd like to get it
> right the first time. Thanks for any help. I'm still trying to figure
> out
> what to use to tap out the cart from the other size.
>
> Hoang

They are probably "cart" hub sized bearings, often used on wheelchairs and
carts. And they are probably spec'd in U.S. sizes, so 1" x 3/8" is the
correct size. You just need to know how wide the bearing is to get the
correct replacement. I just had to replace bearings like this on a
3-wheeled hand pedal cycle and I seem to recall they were 5/16" wide. I
can't find the order for these bearings to confirm the details and bearing
number, but I'll look for it and drop you e-mail if I can help further. You
could send me an e-mail and I'll hook you up with bearings if you like.
BFWG @ Comcast . net

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi, I'm having trouble finding the correct size of the cartridge bearing to
> get a replacement, and am hoping for some help. It's an Avocet front hub
> on an old (late 80s or early 90s) Panasonic DX-3000 road bike I just
> bought. One of the carts are frozen. Pictures below:

[snip]

If you live in a decent sized city, look up "ball bearing" in the
phone book. There's likely an industrial supplier. Remove one of your
bearings, and take it to the ball bearing supplier, they'll be able to
size it for you. Alternately, the size is usually imprinted on the
plastic dust shield. My BB bearings, for example, are stamped "6003".

Cartridge bearings can be flushed and repacked with grease if they
otherwise look free of pits and corrosion. You just have to be carefull
in removing and replacing the dust seals.

You might also try McMaster Carr or Graingers. These are industrial
supply houses. You can just order them with credit card.

Ernie

landotter wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hi, I'm having trouble finding the correct size of the cartridge bearing to
> > get a replacement, and am hoping for some help. It's an Avocet front hub
> > on an old (late 80s or early 90s) Panasonic DX-3000 road bike I just
> > bought. One of the carts are frozen. Pictures below:

> [snip]
>
> If you live in a decent sized city, look up "ball bearing" in the
> phone book. There's likely an industrial supplier. Remove one of your
> bearings, and take it to the ball bearing supplier, they'll be able to
> size it for you. Alternately, the size is usually imprinted on the
> plastic dust shield. My BB bearings, for example, are stamped "6003".
>
> Cartridge bearings can be flushed and repacked with grease if they
> otherwise look free of pits and corrosion. You just have to be carefull
> in removing and replacing the dust seals.

"Wheels by BFWG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Hi, I'm having trouble finding the correct size of the cartridge bearing
>> get a replacement, and am hoping for some help. It's an Avocet front hub
>> on an old (late 80s or early 90s) Panasonic DX-3000 road bike I just
>> bought. One of the carts are frozen. >

>> OD measurement is almost exact one inch. ID is a bit tougher to measure
>> w/o a caliper, but it looks like in the neighborhood of 3/8". At first I
>> thought the size is 6001, since that's a common part for carts for hubs,
>> but the 6001 is 28mm OD x 12mm ID x 8mm thick. The closest I found is
>> size
>> 6000, at 26mm x 10mm x 8mm. Is this correct? Or does the 6000 size
>> never
>> appear in a bike hub? I have to mail-order this, so I'd like to get it
>> right the first time. Thanks for any help. I'm still trying to figure
>> out
>> what to use to tap out the cart from the other size.
>>
>> Hoang

> They are probably "cart" hub sized bearings, often used on wheelchairs and
> carts. And they are probably spec'd in U.S. sizes, so 1" x 3/8" is the
> correct size. You just need to know how wide the bearing is to get the
> correct replacement. I just had to replace bearings like this on a
> 3-wheeled hand pedal cycle and I seem to recall they were 5/16" wide. I
> can't find the order for these bearings to confirm the details and bearing
> number, but I'll look for it and drop you e-mail if I can help further.
> You could send me an e-mail and I'll hook you up with bearings if you
> like. BFWG @ Comcast . net

Some research finds that there is not 1" bearing readily available in the
U.S. The bearing I used was 3/8" x 1-1/8" x 3/8". . . clearly not what you
have here. I thought maybe there was a 10 x 25, but no go there either.
The 6000-2RS seems the closest (10 x 26 x 8mm), but don't order until you
get a bearing out and can measure precisely with a caliper.