Help chain suck front small ring - new chain and cassette

motorhommer

Nov 18, 2004
"Treated" myself to an expensive Sram chain PC99, local LBS fitted chaina and new rear shimano cassette. Front 3 chain rings are not worn according to local LBS. Cranks are specialized. Hit the hills on Sunday morning all happy and next thing on the small front ring the chain is sticking and looping around.

I have oiled the chain, checked for any stiff links and looked a small front cog teeth. Nothing apparent, problem persists. Any ideas anyone.

I have had no problems for months and now two in shrort succession. Love the miles though.

How about the tension in the derailure spring? Is it caked with mud or worn/rusted? The chain might just be too long.:confused: Good luck.

peet9471 said:
How about the tension in the derailure spring? Is it caked with mud or worn/rusted? The chain might just be too long.:confused: Good luck.
This is happening to me when I shift front chainrings every once in a while the chain seems to get stucked in the previous chainring. I have no idea what it is.

And the answer is - changed the small inner chain ring and the problem has gone away .......

motorhommer said:
And the answer is - changed the small inner chain ring and the problem has gone away .......
Thanks, I took my bike to the shop and they told me that when that happens it is usually because the chainrings are worn, I just put a new chain and new cassette. They checked them and said they seemed O.K so I didn't change anything they said that maybe the new chain needs some adjusting to the old crankset, so I'll give it a try this weekend, if the problem persists then I guess I'll need to save some money for changing the crankset. Mine is Tru Vativ (came with the Bike) and I was told that it is not compatible with Shimano and they only have replacement chainrings for Shimano, I think I'll go for the Deore, wish the LX but is a little too expensive for my present budget.

Solanog said:
Thanks, I took my bike to the shop and they told me that when that happens it is usually because the chainrings are worn, I just put a new chain and new cassette. They checked them and said they seemed O.K so I didn't change anything they said that maybe the new chain needs some adjusting to the old crankset, so I'll give it a try this weekend, if the problem persists then I guess I'll need to save some money for changing the crankset. Mine is Tru Vativ (came with the Bike) and I was told that it is not compatible with Shimano and they only have replacement chainrings for Shimano, I think I'll go for the Deore, wish the LX but is a little too expensive for my present budget.
Go on-line you should be able to get a replacement inner ring for this for about 20 or less. A new crank will cost 50/60. There should not be any problem normally with the middle and outer chain ring unless you have done serious mileage.

I look for the chainring on the local shop, they had a Shimano which matched the holes on my Tru-Vativ but when they were going to change the ring it seemed like the screws were faked and instead were rivets so I couldn't change it, I'll need to save some money and go for a new crankset maybe Deore but will need to get the bottom bracket also so price will go maybe near the new LX crankset, save a little more and go for the new LX, is it worth the higher price?

When you put on a new chain, your putting the pin in and then you have to relieve the pin by backing it out a little. with you chain tool. It's very common and one of the most overlooked issues with a new chain. OR get a SRAM chain with the slide lock thingie.

Aloha

Solanog said:
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. If a chain sucks or skips, it's only going to get worse.

OK, all rings are more or less compatible with other people's cranks. That is, unless your current rings are welded onto the crank.

willtsmith said:
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. If a chain sucks or skips, it's only going to get worse.

OK, all rings are more or less compatible with other people's cranks. That is, unless your current rings are welded onto the crank.

The problem continues and I went to check for chainrings and the small has the same holes in the same position as mine but when they tried to change them they (bikeshop) discovered that the chainrings are riveted so no way to replace the chainrings, I'll have to buy a new crankset, it should be a Shimano at least there are replacement parts available for it.

Solanog said:
The problem continues and I went to check for chainrings and the small has the same holes in the same position as mine but when they tried to change them they (bikeshop) discovered that the chainrings are riveted so no way to replace the chainrings, I'll have to buy a new crankset, it should be a Shimano at least there are replacement parts available for it.
Shimano is not the only company that offers cranks with replaceable rings. Truvativ, RaceFace, etc... they pretty much ALL do. The welded rings come with "value" (junk) cranksets on low end bikes.

Now, as far as Cranksets go ... Shimano is probably going to be the sweet spot of price and performance. But I'm sure other people have different opinions. And if you're looking to go splined, Octalink works WAY better than ISIS. ISIS forces smaller bearing that are prone to breaking. The new solution is "outboard" bearing, but those systems are more expensive.

Shimano Deore or LX Octalink is probably the most bank for your buck. BTW, you WANT to replace your bottom bracket. Why??? If they put a cheapo crank on the bike, the bottom bracket isn't going to be much better.

willtsmith said:
Shimano Deore or LX Octalink is probably the most bank for your buck. BTW, you WANT to replace your bottom bracket. Why??? If they put a cheapo crank on the bike, the bottom bracket isn't going to be much better.

The crankset I have is a Tru Vativ, it is not welded but seems like riveted, if I'm changing to anything different from square Bbracket I'll need to change it, BTW the one on the bike is in perfect shape, funny that my girlfriend's (now wife) :( :D bike wear the bottom bracket but the chainrings keep on going O.K. I've come to think that it maybe that this crankset is not compatible with shimano 9spd (I put new chain, sprockets and shifters, LX)since the chain sometimes is "sucked" even when on the big chain ring which I doubt is worn since it's much less used than the others.