Help changing a wheel

TKOS

Oct 6, 2004
Well I have noticed a crack in my wheel frame on my MTB (a trek 820). So I purchased a nice new Alexrim DM18 and I am ready to do the change. Unfortunatly I do not actually know how to do it. I did a quick google search but I only come up with webpages on changing a flat tire. This is the rear wheel rim that needs fixing. I am sure it isn't too hard to do but I don't want to get into the middle of this project only to find out i need some special tool.

Can anyone sned me to a website that shows the process?

Thanks

TKOS said:
Well I have noticed a crack in my wheel frame on my MTB (a trek 820). So I purchased a nice new Alexrim DM18 and I am ready to do the change. Unfortunatly I do not actually know how to do it. I did a quick google search but I only come up with webpages on changing a flat tire. This is the rear wheel rim that needs fixing. I am sure it isn't too hard to do but I don't want to get into the middle of this project only to find out i need some special tool.

Can anyone sned me to a website that shows the process?

Thanks
if you are talking about replacing a rim,that is wheelbuilding,and is somewhat involved.

Yes, that is what I am talkign about. My old rim was cracked around one of the spoke holes and I am unable to true the wheel very well because of it. But I really want to learn how it is done.

Hmm… You will need a few tools to do this.

Since this is the rear wheel you get to remove the cassette. And then you can work on the wheel.
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQcogs.shtml

The Sheldon Brown site is a good site for lots of info. But here is some info about the tools you will need to true a wheel (after your get it built). http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_truing.shtml

And I’m not sure if I use the old spokes again. Probably best to get new spokes too.

I’m not this ambitious (building a wheel from scratch), I’d just buy a prebuilt wheel and tension it and true it if needed.

Well I have access to all of the tools, just wanted to know if I could read aboput it on the internet so I could go it alone, but I will get my friends brother (who has the tools) to help me out I guess. The cassette and spokes are already new so I will reuse them. Thanks for the links I will read up.

TKOS said:
Well I have access to all of the tools, just wanted to know if I could read aboput it on the internet so I could go it alone, but I will get my friends brother (who has the tools) to help me out I guess. The cassette and spokes are already new so I will reuse them. Thanks for the links I will read up.
Will be surprised if you don't need new spokes - they stretch and they tend to need to be slightly different lengths for each rim/hub combo.

One basic tip is this - tighten all the spokes so that the nipple reaches to the bottom of the threads only first then get the wheel on the jig. Its easier to work on spokes from the outside with a pump screwdriver rather than a spoke key to take up the initial slack.

Watch the crossing - take care not to box in your valve when you twist the hub.

Books with pictures are much better than these words! Search on google for bicycle wheel building.

TKOS said:
If you have a friend that will show you and walk you through the process that's the best way to learn. I don't really trust my skill level enough to rebuild a wheel. Replace spokes? Sure. But not to rebuild a wheel. That's a pretty involved process. Besides, many replacement wheelsets are cheaper than the parts if bought individually.

TKOS said:

You've gotten some good advice already, but I'll try to contribute some as well:

Building a very good wheel, and doing it fast takes a lot of dedicated work. Building an adequate wheel, and doing it slowly is not that hard and you'll learn a lot through the process.

New or old spokes can be endlessly debated. Personally I've found that old spokes can frequently be reused without obvious disadvantages. Fit can be a problem, differences in size might force you to replace spokes anyhow.

I replaced my first rim by first slacking all the spokes in the existing wheel, then taping the new rim to the old (with the same valve position and all that), then I simply moved the spokes to the new rim one at a time. A bit of trueing and tensioning and the wheel was ready to go.

Thanks for the help everyone. My friend's brother agreed to help us through the process. The rim is the same type as the old one (It is for a Trek 820 MTB) an Alex rim. Most of the spokes are new, having been replaced in the last few months so i will just use them again, the cassette is new as well, which is why I didn't want to buy a whole new wheel. Plus it is a fun to learn new things.