Help choose between these tourers?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tumbleweed, Jul 19, 2004.

  1. Tumbleweed

    Tumbleweed Guest

    Currently considering;
    -Specialized Sequoia
    -Trek 520
    -Saracen Skyline (never heard of Saracen until I went into my LBS today)
    -Dawes Galaxy.
    -Ridgeback Horizon

    Use would be touring and mild off road (nothing much worse than towpaths and
    the like)

    Any comments? Any that stand out, or you wouldn't touch with a bargepole?
    FWIW I will probably put butterfly bars on whichever I go for.

    --
    Tumbleweed

    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

    Tags:

  2. Fil

    Fil Guest

    Easier said than done. Would recommend as many test rides as possible. For
    the record, I have 93 model Galaxy and have taken it up allsorts of ungodly
    off road routes. It's reasonably quick (if a bit heavy), extremely comfy and
    as tough as hell! The Saracen seems to be sim (e.g old school 531 steel
    frame) whereas the Sequoia is aluminium and prob. a bit more sports / audax
    orientated. Dunno much about the others although there's major differences
    in the characteristics between aly and steel (esp. on the road and in terms
    of reparability out in the field ), so again, try before you buy. A good
    place to do some research is www.sheldonbrown.com : it's an American site
    but well worth a look.

    "Tumbleweed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Currently considering;
    > -Specialized Sequoia
    > -Trek 520
    > -Saracen Skyline (never heard of Saracen until I went into my LBS today)
    > -Dawes Galaxy.
    > -Ridgeback Horizon
    >
    > Use would be touring and mild off road (nothing much worse than towpaths

    and
    > the like)
    >
    > Any comments? Any that stand out, or you wouldn't touch with a bargepole?
    > FWIW I will probably put butterfly bars on whichever I go for.
    >
    > --
    > Tumbleweed
    >
    > email replies not necessary but to contact use;
    > tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

  3. "Tumbleweed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Currently considering;
    > -Specialized Sequoia
    > -Trek 520
    > -Saracen Skyline (never heard of Saracen until I went into my LBS today)
    > -Dawes Galaxy.
    > -Ridgeback Horizon
    > snip
    > --
    > Tumbleweed

    I have to say that althogh I have 2 Galaxies you will be guaranteed spoke
    breakages with the wheels they have been fitting in the last few years. I
    and 2 friends have had real problems with them

    Cliff

  4. Clifford Griffiths wrote:

    > I have to say that althogh I have 2 Galaxies you will be guaranteed
    > spoke breakages with the wheels they have been fitting in the last
    > few years. I and 2 friends have had real problems with them

    Machine built wheels. Get them retensioned by hand and there should be no
    problem.

    --
    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  5. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    )
    > -Dawes Galaxy.
    > -Ridgeback Horizon
    >=20
    > Use would be touring and mild off road (nothing much worse than towpath=

    s and
    > the like)

    I'd have a good look at the Sardar as well as the Galaxy. The Galaxy is =

    very much the way it's been for years in part because it's a sacred cow, =

    where the Sardar has a bit of more recent thinking on board like=20
    stronger 26" wheels that will have a better tyre selection available and =

    Vs instead of cantis which are easier to source bits for, and a compact=20
    frame which gives you more top tube clearance, all Good Things in my=20
    book. And it keeps a good steel frame and full racks too.

    You might be able to pick up a suitable second hand 'bent: for example,=20
    there's a Streetmachine in the Velovision online wanted ads at =A3650=20
    (http://www.velovision.co.uk/smallad/forsale.html). Or really splurge=20
    and buy a new one.

    Having just done a tour on mine (including off-road, and one bit that=20
    wasn't what I'd call "mild") I can happily say I wouldn't have wanted=20
    /any/ upright on the planet instead, not even custom built for me with=20
    the best components available. If you're soaking up miles over hours=20
    it's just *sooooooo* much nicer doing it in a comfy chair with relaxed=20
    arms taking no weight and a default view straight ahead instead of down=20
    at the road. Tourers are, to my mind, one place where the Dark Side=20
    really makes a particularly huge amount of sense.

    Pete.
    --=20
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  6. NC

    NC Guest

    Tumbleweed wrote:
    > Currently considering;
    > -Specialized Sequoia
    > -Trek 520
    > -Saracen Skyline (never heard of Saracen until I went into my LBS
    > today)
    > -Dawes Galaxy.
    > -Ridgeback Horizon
    >
    > Use would be touring and mild off road (nothing much worse than
    > towpaths and the like)
    >
    > Any comments? Any that stand out, or you wouldn't touch with a
    > bargepole? FWIW I will probably put butterfly bars on whichever I go
    > for.

    You need to test ride them. There's a lot of difference between the machines
    mentioned.

    If swapping to butterfly bars, you might do better with something "built
    up". Quite a few tourers seem to include expensive STI brake/gear levers
    which you'd be throwing away in a swap to butterfly bars. Unless your LBS is
    negotiating a good deal on swapping things over.

    FWIW, the Sequoia is more of a "light tourer / audax" machine than anything
    else. I had a short test ride on one a few weeks ago(*). Its reasonably
    comfortable, though I thought it a tad heavy compared to other "audax"
    machines - possibly caused by things like the suspension seat post and the
    adjustable stem. The front forks and damping on the handlebar grips works
    well - I tried it over some rough bumpy lumpy surface. Not so sure about the
    saddle and springy post - seemed to upset my pedal rhythm.
    It includes secondary brake levers on the tops of the bars (which work,
    unlike the circa 1979 "suicide" levers).
    If heading for that model, I'd seriously consider the upgraded version with
    better components and carbon rear-stays.
    I think its available in a flat-bar version under a different name, which
    might be cheaper to swap to butterflies as the brake/gear levers would be a
    straight swap.

    Oh, and Pete's regular comment on the dark side might be worth a look,
    though would be s/hand at the prices of the machines listed.

    (* at work in National Bike Week, a large quantity of bikes were offered for
    a quick spin around the site access roads. The Sequioa was the nearest thing
    to a tourer on offer, so I had a go. )

    - Nigel
    --
    NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/
    Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

  7. Tumbleweed

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "NC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Tumbleweed wrote:
    > > Currently considering;
    > > -Specialized Sequoia
    > > -Trek 520
    > > -Saracen Skyline (never heard of Saracen until I went into my LBS
    > > today)
    > > -Dawes Galaxy.
    > > -Ridgeback Horizon
    > >
    > > Use would be touring and mild off road (nothing much worse than
    > > towpaths and the like)
    > >
    > > Any comments? Any that stand out, or you wouldn't touch with a
    > > bargepole? FWIW I will probably put butterfly bars on whichever I go
    > > for.

    > You need to test ride them. There's a lot of difference between the

    machines
    > mentioned.
    >
    > If swapping to butterfly bars, you might do better with something "built
    > up". Quite a few tourers seem to include expensive STI brake/gear levers
    > which you'd be throwing away in a swap to butterfly bars. Unless your LBS

    is
    > negotiating a good deal on swapping things over.
    >
    > FWIW, the Sequoia is more of a "light tourer / audax" machine than

    anything
    > else. I had a short test ride on one a few weeks ago(*). Its reasonably
    > comfortable, though I thought it a tad heavy compared to other "audax"
    > machines - possibly caused by things like the suspension seat post and the
    > adjustable stem. The front forks and damping on the handlebar grips works
    > well - I tried it over some rough bumpy lumpy surface. Not so sure about

    the
    > saddle and springy post - seemed to upset my pedal rhythm.
    > It includes secondary brake levers on the tops of the bars (which work,
    > unlike the circa 1979 "suicide" levers).
    > If heading for that model, I'd seriously consider the upgraded version

    with
    > better components and carbon rear-stays.
    > I think its available in a flat-bar version under a different name, which
    > might be cheaper to swap to butterflies as the brake/gear levers would be

    > straight swap.

    Thanks for that. I've also started looking at the Sirrus range, it seems
    from the brohure very similar to the sequoia but with better handlebars and
    shifters so as you suggest if I am changing these better to 'build my own'
    and a sirrus might be a good place to start. WIll try some test rides this
    weekend.