Help choosing first road bike

Attlus

May 31, 2011
Hello all and thanks in advance for any help and input. I am looking to buy my first road bike pretty soon and need some advice. I already have a hybrid that I ride on a bike path but I want a road bike that I can join a group and put some real miles on! I am in college and have a limited budget and the bike that I buy will be stock for awhile without any upgrades to wheels and the like. I would like to join a group and possibly race in the near future and maybe even do a long bike tour (2 months, avg. 75 miles a day, june-august.) I want a bike that can still do me some good as i progress in the sport. I am currently considering several bikes:

Specialized Allez 2012: $1,450, Apex components, This seems like a nice entry level road bike with alu frame and carbon fork.

Fuji Roubaix 3.0 2011: $615.00, Tiagra components, All fuji bikes are on discount at the LBS so I considered going this route to save money for my other pursuits (golf, drinking) but it seems as though this bike wouldnt grow well with me and the cheaper components are an issue (how much difference would these components make?)

Cervélo S1 2010: $1,210, Ultegra, I have heard great things about these bikes and they look very aero, Ultegra is a plus for this but a con for this bike is that the only dealer for them in my state is about 2hrs away so I would have to order this from a website and have it serviced somewhere else but drive the 2 hrs for a test drive before ordering, and if that LBS has it for a good price, buy it from them

BMC SR02 2011(?): $1,500, Shimano 105, saw this bike online and there is a dealer in a neighboring city that I can purchase and test ride it through if they can get it in stock

What are your opinions on these? Ride quality of the bikes and components? Which bike would be best for me?
I suppose it is a thought to buy the Fuji and sell the components for better ones, or maybe even buy a better Roubaix for slightly higher cost since they are on discount.

Thanks so much for any input

There is nothing wrong with Tiagra components on an entry level bike. But what you should make the determining factor as to which bike to purchase is the test ride. Ride the three that are close to home and pick the one that feels best. You might also try some others that aren't on your list but are in your price range just for comparison. A Cervelo S1 is nice and you can't beat Ultegra (yes, there is Dura Ace, same stuff made lighter with more exotic metal), but is it worth two hours traveling to you? Anyway, buy the one that you like best. If you buy the cheapest one, you will wonder what it would have been like to buy the one whose ride you liked better when your backside is hurting 20 miles into a ride.

$1,200 - $1,500 is a lot of money to spend on equipment for a hobby, but if you stick with it, it'll be the best money you ever spent. Either the Specialized, BMC and Cervelo would be great bikes, most people wont loose races because they were [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]only [/COLOR]riding one of these bikes!!

IMO, the most important aspect of buying a road bike or any bike for that matter, is how it fits you. If you can get a good deal from a shop that offers a fitting service, i'd recommend going there, you can't go wrong.

thanks for the replies. This is a big issue for me because I feel like if I did decide to take the cheaper route and get the Fuji I will regret it and not like it. maybe Ill end up getting the Allez but a cheaper model with worse components. Is the Allez overpriced? It seems as though some manufacturers like Trek are overpriced for what you get. and I need to look at getting fit for a bike because I didnt realize how much went into bike fitting. But I am nervous to be fit for a bike because I am 240lbs and when I start biking a lot and join a club, I assume I will lose the weight and the bike wont fit anymore?

Also, when getting fit for the bike, what will the end result be besides telling me the size bike that I need? I already know that I need a 56 bike (my hybrid is a 56)

Your fit won't change because you lose weight. Here is a link to a website that will explain all that goes into a fitting: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

I am not certain, but I believe that although you use a 56 cm frame on your hybrid, it may be different on a road bike. Not only does a fitting determine what size frame you need, it also helps determine the saddle height and set back, it determines the crank length, and the stem length. And to make matters a little more confusing, all of these measurements only get you in the ballpark. After you get all of the "optimum" measurements from the fitting, it all has to be tweaked to your own personal dimensions so that you are comfortable. However, this process will make it so that you can ride high mileage if you desire, without extreme discomfort or injury.

thanks for that reply. After I get fit and know my measurements for all the lengths that I need, will it change from bike to bike? like if I need a 110mm stem on a bmc, will I need a different size on a cervélo and have to get a whole new fit done anytime I buy a new frame or bike?

also on a completely unrelated note, you have an awesome signature. I definitely stole it as a facebook status when I saw it

Because of geometry differences, some pieces of fit could be different from frame to frame.

If you have a Felt dealer nearby, check them out as well - the Z85 has full Shimano 105 for under 1200. The Z is a more "relaxed" frame, but rides awesome! They have an F style as well if you prefer a more "racy" feel.

Avoid the Cervelo, I'm guessing you saw it on Targin-Jaya or one of the other Indonesian scam sites. The Framset alone is $1,200 for any reputable dealer, with Ultegra you're looking at ~$2,300 new. If you buy online make sure it's from a reputable dealer or make sure you look up reviews of the website first.

WOW that exactly where I saw it the exact website you mentioned. It seemed too good to be true because I did find the frameset for the same price somewhere else and I thought it was just overpriced there. So they will just take my money and not send me a bike? Thanks for the advice you probably just saved me a huge headache.
Originally Posted by ohwut .

Avoid the Cervelo, I'm guessing you saw it on Targin-Jaya or one of the other Indonesian scam sites. The Framset alone is $1,200 for any reputable dealer, with Ultegra you're looking at ~$2,300 new. If you buy online make sure it's from a reputable dealer or make sure you look up reviews of the website first.

Ill check out Felt too then because they do look nice from the few I have seen. What is the difference in a more racy frame and a more performance frame for longer rides as they say?

Originally Posted by ccallana .

Because of geometry differences, some pieces of fit could be different from frame to frame.

If you have a Felt dealer nearby, check them out as well - the Z85 has full Shimano 105 for under 1200. The Z is a more "relaxed" frame, but rides awesome! They have an F style as well if you prefer a more "racy" feel.

decided to check out Trek bikes online too since there is a dealer in the city of my University and like the sound of a 2.1. seems like a reasonable price at $1,369 with 105 drivetrain. I stayed away from Trek at first because I was told by a friend that they are overpriced. any thoughts on the ride quality or build quality of any of these bikes I mentioned? I ruled the Cervélo out because even though I really like it, it is too expensive for me now that I realized that the website I found it on is a scam
Originally Posted by Attlus .

Hello all and thanks in advance for any help and input. I am looking to buy my first road bike pretty soon and need some advice. I already have a hybrid that I ride on a bike path but I want a road bike that I can join a group and put some real miles on! I am in college and have a limited budget and the bike that I buy will be stock for awhile without any upgrades to wheels and the like. I would like to join a group and possibly race in the near future and maybe even do a long bike tour (2 months, avg. 75 miles a day, june-august.) I want a bike that can still do me some good as i progress in the sport. I am currently considering several bikes:

Specialized Allez 2012: $1,450, Apex components, This seems like a nice entry level road bike with alu frame and carbon fork.

Fuji Roubaix 3.0 2011: $615.00, Tiagra components, All fuji bikes are on discount at the LBS so I considered going this route to save money for my other pursuits (golf, drinking) but it seems as though this bike wouldnt grow well with me and the cheaper components are an issue (how much difference would these components make?)

Cervélo S1 2010: $1,210, Ultegra, I have heard great things about these bikes and they look very aero, Ultegra is a plus for this but a con for this bike is that the only dealer for them in my state is about 2hrs away so I would have to order this from a website and have it serviced somewhere else but drive the 2 hrs for a test drive before ordering, and if that LBS has it for a good price, buy it from them

BMC SR02 2011(?): $1,500, Shimano 105, saw this bike online and there is a dealer in a neighboring city that I can purchase and test ride it through if they can get it in stock

What are your opinions on these? Ride quality of the bikes and components? Which bike would be best for me?
I suppose it is a thought to buy the Fuji and sell the components for better ones, or maybe even buy a better Roubaix for slightly higher cost since they are on discount.

Thanks so much for any input

Trek makes good bicycles. They sell more bikes every year than most others so they must be doing something right. Their prices are actually a little more reasonable than most other companies. The only problem that I have with Trek is their popularity. I don't like cookie cutter bikes, but a lot of people do and they are great bikes for newer riders because they perform well and are very comfortable when fitted correctly.

I like the look of the Trek 2.1 and 105 drivetrain but I think I have chosen to go the Specialized, Fuji, or BMC route because in the town I grew up in and my parents live in the LBS that I have been dealing with my whole time cycling only sells these 3 companies. I like the guys at the LBS so I have decided to maintain my loyalty with them although my college's town does have a Trek dealer. The bikes I am looking into now are Fuji ACR 2.0, Allez, or Roubaix
Originally Posted by kdelong .

Trek makes good bicycles. They sell more bikes every year than most others so they must be doing something right. Their prices are actually a little more reasonable than most other companies. The only problem that I have with Trek is their popularity. I don't like cookie cutter bikes, but a lot of people do and they are great bikes for newer riders because they perform well and are very comfortable when fitted correctly.

Make sure that you get a test ride on each bike that you are considering and let that be the most important factor in your decision on which to purchase. It wouldn't hurt to check out the Trek too. Loyalty only goes so far and it would be a shame for you not to get the bike that you like most.

from talking to the guy at the LBS he said that at this entry level point in my cycling, I wont even really notice a big difference in the ride quality so the Trek wouldnt even be a difference I would feel. and the Trek is a ways away from me right now and I have to act fast if I decide on the ACR because it is on huge discount and there is only one that they have left. I rode the ACR very briefly and liked it but the shop owner said that I can ride them for longer periods when I want to that way I can make a decision on the Allez or ACR or Roubaix. I would try Trek but i dont feel like i have the time to go because if I do wait to ride the Trek, the ACR probably will be sold by then and its a great deal at 1,200 dollars when it retailed for 1,800

Originally Posted by kdelong .

Make sure that you get a test ride on each bike that you are considering and let that be the most important factor in your decision on which to purchase. It wouldn't hurt to check out the Trek too. Loyalty only goes so far and it would be a shame for you not to get the bike that you like most.