Help choosing hybrid bike for young lady

GrumpyGrumps

Mar 28, 2011
Complete novice at this so any help appreciated.

I am looking for a hybrid bike for my 14 year old daughter. It will mainly be used on the road and cycle paths.

I am considering a Dawes Discovery 201 and a Giant Escape 4 as they both fall into my price point. I was also looking at a Carerra Crossfire 1 but have been advised against it by a friend.

With my daughter we have tried a Dawes 101 (and the Giant Escape 4) for size but noticed we can get a 201 actually cheaper on line than the 101 on the local bike shop. There are no stock of the 201 locally to view, but she prefers the Giant's look and finish over the Dawes 101 though the Giant is a little more expensive.

As I have said I am no expert at all but I did notice the Giant does not have reinforced rims unlike the 201. Which is the superior machine ?

Specs below.

Giant
[FONT= 'Arial']Escape 4[/FONT]
Dawes
[FONT= 'Arial']Discovery 201[/FONT]
Frame
[FONT= 'Arial']AluxX aluminium[/FONT]
Frame
[FONT= 'Arial']hybrid Dynamism alloy tubeset[/FONT]
Fork
[FONT= 'Arial']HiTensile steel[/FONT]
Fork
[FONT= 'Arial']Hi-tensile steel[/FONT]
Front [FONT= 'Arial']Derailleur[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Arial']Shimano TX51[/FONT]
Front [FONT= 'Arial']Derailleur[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Arial']Shimano FD-C051[/FONT]
Rear Derailleur
[FONT= 'Arial']Shimano TX51[/FONT]
Rear Derailleur
[FONT= 'Arial']Shimano RD-TX51[/FONT]
Shifters
[FONT= 'Arial']Shimano EZ Fire 50 21 speed[/FONT]
Shifters
[FONT= 'Arial']Shimano EF-50 21 speed[/FONT]
Stem
[FONT= 'Arial']Giant aluminium ahead[/FONT]
Stem
[FONT= 'Arial']Alloy quill[/FONT]
Seat Post
[FONT= 'Arial']Aluminium[/FONT]
Seat Post
Alloy suspension 27.2mmx350mm
Saddle
[FONT= 'Arial']Giant for Women Pure Sport[/FONT]
Saddle
[FONT= 'Arial']Dawes sports[/FONT]
Pedals
[FONT= 'Arial']Resin anti slip [/FONT]
Pedals
[FONT= 'Arial']Black resin with grey grip[/FONT]
Brakes
[FONT= 'Arial']Tektro linear pull[/FONT]
Brakes
[FONT= 'Arial']Alloy V-brake[/FONT]
Brake Levers
[FONT= 'Arial']Shimano EF50[/FONT]
Brake Levers
[FONT= 'Arial']Shimano[/FONT]
Cassette
[FONT= 'Arial']Shimano TZ31 Mega range 14-34[/FONT]
Freewheel
[FONT= 'Arial']Shimano MZ-TZ37 14-34T[/FONT]
Chain
[FONT= 'Arial']KMC Z51[/FONT]
Chain
[FONT= 'Arial']KMC Z51[/FONT]
Crank/chainset
[FONT= 'Arial']SR Suntour 28/38/48[/FONT]
Crank/Chainset
48/38/28T with 170mm alloy crank
Bottom Bracket
[FONT= 'Arial']FSA RPM cartridge[/FONT]
Bottom Bracket
Semi cartridge
Rims
[FONT= 'Arial']Giant CH18 SW aluminium[/FONT]
Rims
[FONT= 'Arial']Alex ZC1000 alloy with CNC sidewall[/FONT]
Hubs
[FONT= 'Arial']Joy Tech[/FONT]
Hubs
[FONT= 'Arial']Alloy 36H[/FONT]
Spokes
Steel
Spokes
[FONT= 'Arial']14G steel[/FONT]
Tyres
[FONT= 'Arial']Kenda Kwest 700x35mm[/FONT]
Tyres
[FONT= 'Arial']Kenda K-948 700 x 35c[/FONT]
Headset

Headset
Threaded 1 1/8”

Weight

Weight

For all intents and purposes, these bicycles are pretty much identical as far as components are concerned.

I would recommend that you go with the Giant because you will get the support and service of the bike shop behind you. First of all, the bike shop will ensure that the fit of the bike is correct. Secondly, most bike shops throw in a free adjustment 30 days after purchasing the bike. This is important because new cables will stretch and throw the shifting and braking off. If you are a novice, this free adjustment comes in handy. Third, if you ask at the time of sale, the bike shop may throw in a free tune up on the bike. Since tune ups generally cost between $60 - $120 depending upon where you live, this may make up more than the difference in the price of the bikes.

If you buy the Dawes online, you get the bike in a partially unassembled condition. Being a novice, you take the bike to the bike shop for assembly, $25 - $50. You take the bike back for the 30 day adjustment, $25 - $50. You take the bike back for a tune up, $60 - $120. It all adds up.

Dawes USA is not a name brand. Some people get their bike from Dawes and they love it, but there are enough reviews on line about Dawes horrible customer service that I would shy away from them for that reason. With your Giant, if you have a warranty issue, you take the bike back to the bike shop and they will work it our with you and with Giant.

Therefore, the Giant is the better bike, not because it has better components(they are the same), but because it comes with a bike shop. For what it is worth, reinforced rims are only important if you are riding gravel roads or off road all the time, and all rims are made to meet or exceed certain safety requirements anyway.