Help Circus Cyclists Jailed for Cycling w/o a License

Jeff wrote:

> There are some really great aspects to public health care, universality being one of them. But the
> fact that it gives my neighbours a right to stick their noses into my lifestyle is one of the big
> negatives to it. My lack of a choice in the whole matter really aggravates the situation.

But isn't that more an issue of how public health care is implemented? Nobody has a buisiness to
tell me how much I should weigh (except my doctor, perhaps), but if through excessive weight I
suffered disease, it would only be fair to expect me to bear part of the costs.

> Some of these folk are happy to use government monopolies to effect social engineering. For
> example, here in Manitoba, we have a government monopoly for car insurance. You have no choice in
> insurers. There is a strong anti-motorcycle lobby here. Rather than pushing for an outright ban,
> they have managed to get the insurance rates raised to outrageous levels, to the point that many
> riders are simply giving up their bikes.

I agree that competition is a good thing. Insurance rated for motor bikes should be calculated to
cover the claims caused by motorbikes, plus adequate profit for the insurance company. If there were
several such companies, market forces would normally ensure that this happens. Thus the problem is
not the mandatory insurance, but the monopoly.