Help, converting a mountain bike to a road bike?

Jack Lee

Guest
Hi,
I have an old mountain bike my brother-in-law gave me. I'm interested
in converting it to a road bike to use as a commuter but don't know if
that's possible. Would I need to just change the wheels, tires, etc?
I'm looking to keep my costs to a minimum in terms of buying parts.
Finally, in case you haven't figured out I'm a total bike novice, how
extensive would it be to change the parts? Would I be better off
selling the bike and buying a road bike? And suggestions would be
welcome!
Thanks much,
Jack

Jack Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have an old mountain bike my brother-in-law gave me. I'm interested
> in converting it to a road bike to use as a commuter but don't know if
> that's possible. Would I need to just change the wheels, tires, etc?
> I'm looking to keep my costs to a minimum in terms of buying parts.

The minimal change would be to swap the tires for higher-pressure slick
tread tires. A quick scan at Bike Nashbar's site turned up:

Hutchinson Top Slick ATB Tire
Hutchinson Top Slick Gold Elite 26x1 ATB Tire
Michelin Transworld City Tire
Tioga City Slicker Tire
Panaracer High Road V ATB Tire
Nashbar Slick ATB Tire
IRC Metro Tire

If you've got a longer commute, then you might want more hand positions.
You could add drop bars, or bar ends, or whatever you like.

Other possible changes (e.g., fenders, lights, saddle) aren't really
specific to converting a mountain bike to a commuter, but depend on your
needs.

> Finally, in case you haven't figured out I'm a total bike novice, how
> extensive would it be to change the parts?

Do you know how to fix a flat? Then you know how to swap tires.

Adding bar ends is pretty simple.
--
Darin McGrew, [email protected], http://www.rahul.net/mcgrew/
Web Design Group, [email protected], http://www.HTMLHelp.com/

"I can take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once."

On 31 Aug 2004 15:00:19 -0700, [email protected] (Jack Lee) wrote:

>Hi,
>I have an old mountain bike my brother-in-law gave me. I'm interested
>in converting it to a road bike to use as a commuter but don't know if
>that's possible. Would I need to just change the wheels, tires, etc?
>I'm looking to keep my costs to a minimum in terms of buying parts.
>Finally, in case you haven't figured out I'm a total bike novice, how
>extensive would it be to change the parts? Would I be better off
>selling the bike and buying a road bike? And suggestions would be
>welcome!
>Thanks much,
>Jack

You might want to keep the MTB as a back up and get a road bike with
touring/commuting qualities (fenders, panniers, etc.).

If you haven't established a 'biking habit' be aware that it takes a few
months to acquire both the fitness and the ability to commute if you're
past your prime. In that case you might want to establish the habit of
riding on the MTB and once you're sure you have the ability look into a
touring/commuting type bike.

Finally there's been a lot of improvements in bikes in the last 15years.
The old MTB may still be equipped with friction shifters and centerpull
brakes, which can detract from the ease and enjoyment in comparison, imo.

Go to the LBS and talk to them and ride some bikes suited for your purpose.
That will tell you more than just asking on the ng.

Good luck.

-B

Jack Lee wrote:

> Hi,
> I have an old mountain bike my brother-in-law gave me. I'm interested
> in converting it to a road bike to use as a commuter but don't know if
> that's possible. Would I need to just change the wheels, tires, etc?
> I'm looking to keep my costs to a minimum in terms of buying parts.
> Finally, in case you haven't figured out I'm a total bike novice, how
> extensive would it be to change the parts? Would I be better off
> selling the bike and buying a road bike? And suggestions would be
> welcome!

I have a colleague who used a Cannondale MTB as a commuter. He had MTB
slick tires on it, and I think Ultegra parts. But road gear vs. MTB
gear probably won't matter much for commuting.

I think a setup like yours would work fine for commuting, and would
probably be ideal in fact. Wide tires mean you won't be fazed by
potholes, which is a good thing if you have to choose between oncoming
car and pothole! Don't think you need new wheels, just new tires.
Knobbies are horrible for road riding any distance, don't even think
about it. But you can't use a road bike tire - too narrow and probably
not the right diameter. Get an MTB slick.

Dave

On 31 Aug 2004 15:00:19 -0700, [email protected] (Jack Lee) wrote:

>Hi,
>I have an old mountain bike my brother-in-law gave me. I'm interested
>in converting it to a road bike to use as a commuter but don't know if
>that's possible. Would I need to just change the wheels, tires, etc?
>I'm looking to keep my costs to a minimum in terms of buying parts.
>Finally, in case you haven't figured out I'm a total bike novice, how
>extensive would it be to change the parts? Would I be better off
>selling the bike and buying a road bike? And suggestions would be
>welcome!
>Thanks much,
>Jack

I'd suggest starting by putting some skinny tires on it. Ride it for a
while. Then bar ends. Start learning to do some basic maintenance and
you'll on your way to being able to make more decisions without laying
out lots of money.

http://www.runmuki.com/commute/commuting3.html

http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/index.htm

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/articles.html

"Jack Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
> I have an old mountain bike my brother-in-law gave me. I'm interested
> in converting it to a road bike to use as a commuter but don't know if
> that's possible. Would I need to just change the wheels, tires, etc?
> I'm looking to keep my costs to a minimum in terms of buying parts.
> Finally, in case you haven't figured out I'm a total bike novice, how
> extensive would it be to change the parts? Would I be better off
> selling the bike and buying a road bike? And suggestions would be
> welcome!

I've met people who have ridden cross country on mountain bikes, there's
nothing wrong with it as-is. Skinnier, smooth, tires would make it roll a
little better, but some people feel more confident with fatter tires, and
they're way less likely to flat. If you change tires, you can keep the wheels,
just buy tires & tubes.