Help/critique my training plan

ruleof72

Jan 18, 2006
I've been riding seriously for 4 years and started training with power in May. In the two months I've had the Powertap I've learned alot about my strengths and weaknesses and I feel more in control of my training than ever before. I have a limited amount of time to train, typically 4-6 hours a week and I like to do a few crits/circuit races each year as well as shorter TT's. Here's some basic info:

FTP:270watts
Hrs/week: 4-6
Weekly TSS: 550-600
I am a fairly strong group rider and enjoy climbing but have trouble dealing with the surges in longer, less technical crits.

I've settled into a pattern of training that looks like this most weeks:

Mon: rest
Tues: WU then 6-8x1 minute hill repeats at 400 watts with 3 minute recoveries
Wed: Fast group ride of ninety minutes or so or 3-5x4 minute intervals on trainer at 300watts average with 4 minute recoveries plus WU/CD
Thurs: 2x20-30 minutes at 235-240watts
Fri: rest
Sat: 30 minutes outdoors with frequent 10sec surges (500-700watts) then 30minutes SST at 220watts on trainer
Sun: Moderate group ride of 30-45 miles

I have a couple more crits this year and that's about it. I am usually pack fodder but have fun racing. My thinking is the Tues and Sat workouts will help me to handle the crits while the other days should help build overall strength while also working FTP enough. Next year I'd really like to be able to do well in the crits, not just hang, as well as do some more TT's. I've got lots of time before next March so what am I doing correctly, or not, and how should I approach the next 7 months?

If you want to improve in crits I would recommend a more crit orientated ride 1/2 times a week.

a good one I have done recently is 1.5 hrs of 40 secs at TT pace, 10 second coasting then 20 second sprint then 10 seconds coasting then 40 secs "riding in the pack" intensity then 10 secs coasting etc etc make sure you are hitting the same intensity oin every sprint and that you do the workout until you are popped.

I race Cat 1 crits and I do as follows:

Monday 1.5 hr recovery or rest
tuesday - Club race or 5 x 5 min intervals @ Vo2 max as part of 1.5 hr ride
Wednesday - 40/10/20/10/40/10/20/10/40 etc etc for as long as can hold (L6 based workout with plenty of L3/4)
Thursday 3 x 20 or 1 x 90 at TT pace (L4)
Friday rest
Saturday - Club race or 1.5 hr easy with a few short efforts
Sunday - Crit (usually 60-100km)

BullGod said:

Wednesday - 40/10/20/10/40/10/20/10/40 etc etc for as long as can hold (L6 based workout with plenty of L3/4)
Friday rest
Hmmm interesting. I like your Tuesday and Thursday workouts. But the rest you can have to yourself. :p

existence said:
Hmmm interesting. I like your Tuesday and Thursday workouts. But the rest you can have to yourself. :p
I tend to mix up the order fairly randomly depending on how i feel. I find the 5 min intervals the least appealing....

The l4 day at the end of the 3 day block is great.....after the sprints and 5 min intervals it feels great to just ride a sustained intensity knowing you have a rest day coming up...

BullGod said:
If you want to improve in crits I would recommend a more crit orientated ride 1/2 times a week.

a good one I have done recently is 1.5 hrs of 40 secs at TT pace, 10 second coasting then 20 second sprint then 10 seconds coasting then 40 secs "riding in the pack" intensity then 10 secs coasting etc etc make sure you are hitting the same intensity oin every sprint and that you do the workout until you are popped.

Friday rest
I like the 40/10/20/10... I think I will try that on today's workout and see how good I feel afterwords:D Serouusly, it looks like a great workout to simulate the demands of crits and I think it could fit well for my Tuesday workout. It also might build some strength that can be used for TT's as well.