Help deciding what bike.

Trek_Rider_05

Dec 18, 2005
So I currently have a Trek 7500FX, that I love dearly. Its still very new, been ridden maybe 50-60 miles so far. I got it brand new for $400, from someone on craigslist. It was/ is so new, I put the first specks of dirt on it, and its first scratch. Anyway, I have a good friend who is out for a new good road/ hybrid bike. Hes 5'10" or so. My Trek is 17.5". Slightly on the big side for my 5'6" frame I think. So what we were thinking is that hell pay to get me a new bike, and anything over what I paid for my bike, ill make up the difference, all the while taking the Trek for himself since the size fits him. It has no suspension, and is more geard for road/ speed than it is offroading, right down to haveing slicks on it. Its a great bike and I love it, and I really dont want to part with it, but after test riding a 15.5" today, It is in my best interest to get one that fits me better. Today I test rode a Gary Fisher Kaitai. NICE bike, great ride, and it has disc breaks. Really liked the feel, handling, and Fisher's geometry seemed to fit me better.

I was impressed and I am considering getting that bike. It a $599 bike. My price range is $450-$800 or so.
Its going to be mainly used for road / paved trail biking, with maybe some short/ small offroading, over not particularly rough terrain. The Kaitai has front suspension, which I also did like.

Im definately leaning hybrid, and very light. My question for those more experienced than I is what is the best hybrid type bike I can get in my price range? I like Gary Fisher's, Trek ( I think Trek now makes Fishers dont they?) Specialized, Giant, Cannondale.

Ideally id like to hear from riders/ owners who generally do road / paved trail biking that have bikes by makers ive listed above, in the price range im looking in.

Id also like to hear pros and cons on disc breaks VS tradtional.

As it stands at the moment, im really liking the bike I test rode today. Only thing Id change is very mimimal knobby tires, or slicks on it.

If I placed this in the wrong section here, please let me know and Ill repost it accordingly. Thanks for any and all help/ opinions! I got about 1-2 weeks before this is gonna happen so still alittle time.

Thanks again!

What about a 7500FX that fits? (It's what I have, and I have 10K+ miles on it since 2002). Tho' if the other bike feels like a better fit, do it. I'm no tecchie - but I know little angles make a big difference. I put even more miles on my old Giant Nutra w/ Bianchi stem, even though it is much heavier, because the angles are perfect for me. Go with what feels good.

you'll get a more informed response if you post this in the mountain bike chat. ;)