help disassembling spd pedals

Stu

Guest
I rode through some deep water yesterday. Yes l know now that it wasn't such a good idea. Have
striped the bike and serviced everything, except the pedals. l just cant get them apart. l don't
have the little plastic tool, but have loosened both of the "lock bolts". They just unscrew a couple
of turns and hit against the spindle. Should the axle assembly slide out easily or does it need to
be pulled out by the unscrewing of the lock bolt? l have tried mounting the pedal and crank in a
vice and just pulling but that doesn't seem to shift anything. l haven't had the pedals very long
and this is the first time l am trying to get them open. is there something that l haven't done? l
know that the right tool would help but that little plastic spanner isn't that easy to buy in
australia.(and l am guessing it will cost $20 or more) thanks people stuart

oh and one last thing, anyone have any figures on how much faster "Aero Sheldon" will be?

Most SPD pedals have cartridge bearings, and the pedal itself is pretty well "sealed". You shouldn't
have to open it at all unless it's no longer running smooth.

The tool, actually a plastic thingy which bears a slight resemblence to a feewheel remover, is
cheap, however. Spring the couple of bucks. it comes in handy for your yearly maintanance.

Hit post too early!

The bearing set is pulled out as the spindle is unscrewed. It's a "soft" prees fit.

"stu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I rode through some deep water yesterday. Yes l know now that it wasn't such a good idea. Have
> striped the bike and serviced everything, except the pedals. l just cant get them apart. l don't
> have the little plastic tool, but have loosened both of the "lock bolts". They just unscrew a
> couple of turns and hit against the spindle. Should the axle assembly slide out easily or does it
> need to be pulled out by the unscrewing of the lock bolt? l have tried mounting the pedal and
> crank in a vice and just pulling but that doesn't seem to shift anything. l haven't had the pedals
> very long and this is the first time l am trying to get them open. is there something that l
> haven't done? l know that the right tool would help but that little plastic spanner isn't that
> easy to buy in australia.(and l am guessing it will cost $20 or more) thanks people stuart

I am a little confused. Are you implying that you haven't removed the pedals from the crank before
trying to dissasemble them? This is how I read your post. If so then you will need to remove the
pedals from the cranks before disassembling them.

Having done that, the knurled sleeves of most of Shimano's newer SPDs (I have experience with A515,
M515 and M536s) unscrew completely (several turns), remembering that one is right hand threaded, the
other left hand.

The plastic tool is, for a change, fairly cheap (2.99 GBP here). The easiest way to use if is to
wear stout gloves and do it by hand. The main advantage of it is that you run less risk of deforming
the sleeve than if you used a pair of pliers or a vice.

After undoing the sleeves, you can then pull out the bearing assembly. It is not usually necessary
to completely take the bearings apart. When you re-assemble I find it necessary to pack the pedal
housing well with grease, otherwise squeaks soon develop.

Good luck.

(Certainly a much better system than my older M535 pedals, which were poorly sealed, hard to take
apart, very fiddly inside and impossible to properly fit together without a ridiculously expensive
tool (and not easy to adjust even then).

>Are you implying that you haven't removed the pedals from the crank before
trying to dissasemble >them?

No l had the pedals off, loosened the sleeves then put them back in the crank to try and pull the
spindle out. l couldn't get it to move. But thanks to you guys l was sure that it was a press fit,
so l made my own tool(a hose clamp) and they unscrewed just fine(l don't know why l didn't think of
that 2 days ago). Chris was right all along, there doesn't seem to be any water. So will add a
little grease and ride away happy and at least l know how to get them apart next time. thanks guys