Help - double trailabike questions

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony R, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. Tony R

    Tony R Guest

    Hello, anyone any experience of one of these? Like this one www.twoplustwo.uk.com/tbikes/tandem
    Specifically I'd like to know how suitable one would be for school-run use for one 3 yr. old and a 5
    yr. old. Neither can ride a bike yet. Does the hitch system allow the adult to balance the whole
    caboodle? If so I assume I wouldn't be able to throw the towing bike about as freely as I can now
    using a trailer (sadly soon to be too small) which I find quite handy in the rush hour traffic. Also
    is there ideally a minimum weight ratio between tower and towees ? - I'm about 70 kgs. whilst
    they're about 30 kgs. (and rising). Are they manoeverable enough for use in busy traffic? Are they
    durable enough for daily all-weather usage? I have terrible visions of misbehaving sprogs jumping
    around causing balance problems up front or even falling off themselves. Are these the mad ravings
    of an over protective parent or a realistic concern (given this 3 yr. old has little concept of
    danger)? Are there alternative makes available? Finally, anyone know exactly how long one of these
    is? Thanks for the help, tony R.

    Tags:

  2. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "tony R" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > anyone any experience of one of these? Like this one

    No - we used a single trailer bike for some time, the seatpost hitch starts to become slack after a
    while and the heavier the child the more of a problem that is. I would want to try the Pashley U+2
    (two-wheel) trailer for comparison.

    We ride a Thorn Me'n'U2 double childback triplet, which is fantastic and very syable, but our boys
    are 7 and 9.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com

  4. Tony R

    Tony R Guest

  5. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >"tony R" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> anyone any experience of one of these? Like this one
    >
    >No - we used a single trailer bike for some time, the seatpost hitch starts to become slack after a
    >while and the heavier the child the more of a problem that is.

    Hitch designs vary. The Burley Piccolo attaches to a special fitting on a rear rack, not the
    seatpost - but doesn't (AFAIK) have a tandem version.

    > I would want to try the Pashley U+2 (two-wheel) trailer for comparison.

    The two rear wheels do make it easier to hold upright while getting two children loaded. I think for
    a single trailer the narrower width of a single wheel is better (we have a Cycle Design Tag-a-long),
    but I'd be dubious about it for a tandem (but haven't actually tried a tandem single wheeled trailer
    or a two wheeled single to compare), and my wife finds the two wheel tandem easier to manage than
    the single wheel single.

  6. Tony R

    Tony R Guest

    > "tony R" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > anyone any experience of one of these? Like this one
    >
    > No - we used a single trailer bike for some time, the seatpost hitch
    starts
    > to become slack after a while and the heavier the child the more of a problem that is.

    This is a little offputting. I'd imagine this problem to be worse with the double set up then. I do
    remember seeing somewhere that the hitch design changed in the late nineties for some reason. Might
    this have been to try and reduce this problem? How old was your model?

    I would want to try the Pashley U+2 (two-wheel) trailer
    > for comparison.

    I'll look for one.

    > We ride a Thorn Me'n'U2 double childback triplet, which is fantastic and very syable, but our boys
    > are 7 and 9.

    I definitely have my eye on one of those for the future. Maybe 2 years or so when my kids are 7 and
    5 would be reasonable. Any practical solutions for the next 2 years anybody? I don't want to give in
    and clog up the road to the school with another unnecessary car. Thanks, tony R.

  7. In article <[email protected]>, Alan Braggins wrote:
    >> I would want to try the Pashley U+2 (two-wheel) trailer for comparison.
    >
    >The two rear wheels do make it easier to hold upright while getting two children loaded.

    P.S. LBS told me recently that the U+2 was now out of production.

  8. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, tony R <[email protected]> writes

    >"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> We ride a Thorn Me'n'U2 double childback triplet, which is fantastic and very syable, but our
    >> boys are 7 and 9.
    >
    >I definitely have my eye on one of those for the future. Maybe 2 years or so when my kids are 7 and
    >5 would be reasonable. Any practical solutions for the next 2 years anybody? I don't want to give
    >in and clog up the road to the school with another unnecessary car.

    Could the 5 year old manage on the back of triplet? (I know people have taken kids of such an age on
    the back of tandems with kiddicranks, usually with those 'siderails' for them to hold onto.

    If so you could bring the older one along behind in the trailer, or put a kiddie seat on
    the Triplet?
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  9. Tony R

    Tony R Guest

    "Alan Braggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > >"tony R" <[email protected]tmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

    > > I would want to try the Pashley U+2 (two-wheel) trailer for comparison.
    >
    > The two rear wheels do make it easier to hold upright while getting two children loaded. I think
    > for a single trailer the narrower width of a
    single
    > wheel is better (we have a Cycle Design Tag-a-long), but I'd be dubious
    about
    > it for a tandem (but haven't actually tried a tandem single wheeled
    trailer
    > or a two wheeled single to compare), and my wife finds the two wheel
    tandem
    > easier to manage than the single wheel single.

    Thanks for that Alan. Do you still have a 2 wheel tandem? If so I don't suppose you could let me
    know how wide the widest point is could you? One of the attractions of a single wheel would be the
    ability to avoid a nasty stretch of road by using a bit of shared-use path, however access is
    hampered by some well-placed bollards. The trailer is too wide so I suspect the Pashley would be
    too. Thanks, tony R.

  10. Tony R

    Tony R Guest

    "chris French" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In message <[email protected]>, tony R <[email protected]> writes
    > >
    > >"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >>
    > >> We ride a Thorn Me'n'U2 double childback triplet, which is fantastic
    and
    > >> very syable, but our boys are 7 and 9.
    > >
    > >I definitely have my eye on one of those for the future. Maybe 2 years or
    so
    > >when my kids are 7 and 5 would be reasonable. Any practical solutions for the next 2 years
    > >anybody? I don't want to give in and clog up the road to the school with another unnecessary car.
    >
    > Could the 5 year old manage on the back of triplet? (I know people have taken kids of such an age
    > on the back of tandems with kiddicranks, usually with those 'siderails' for them to hold onto.
    >
    > If so you could bring the older one along behind in the trailer, or put a kiddie seat on the
    > Triplet?

    I think I muddied the waters there with my last post. Their ages now are 3 and 5 (barely). Too small
    yet for a 2 kid triplet. As my wife doesn't cycle (with a capital D) a Thorn-type double kiddyback,
    as modelled by Guy, is the only type of triplet I'm likely to need. Howabout a decent single
    trail-a-bike (the Burley Piccolo seems highly rated) out back combined with one of those seats that
    mount on the top tube in front of the adult? Sound feasible? tony R.

  11. In article <[email protected]>, tony R wrote:
    >"Alan Braggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > I would want to try the Pashley U+2 (two-wheel) trailer for comparison.
    >>
    >> The two rear wheels do make it easier to hold upright while getting two children loaded. I think
    >> for a single trailer the narrower width of a
    >single
    >> wheel is better (we have a Cycle Design Tag-a-long), but I'd be dubious
    >about
    >> it for a tandem (but haven't actually tried a tandem single wheeled
    >trailer
    >> or a two wheeled single to compare), and my wife finds the two wheel
    >tandem
    >> easier to manage than the single wheel single.
    >
    >Thanks for that Alan. Do you still have a 2 wheel tandem? If so I don't suppose you could let me
    >know how wide the widest point is could you?

    Definitely wide enough to be a nuisance on at least some bollarded paths, but I'll try and remember
    to measure it tonight (I've been away for half term, so am now catching up on news.)

  12. In article <[email protected]>, tony R wrote:
    >Howabout a decent single trail-a-bike (the Burley Piccolo seems highly rated) out back combined
    >with one of those seats that mount on the top tube in front of the adult? Sound feasible?

    I've seen it done, so if you're happy with that sort of seat it's definitely possible.

  13. In article <[email protected]>, Alan Braggins wrote:
    >In article <[email protected]>, tony R wrote:
    >>Thanks for that Alan. Do you still have a 2 wheel tandem? If so I don't suppose you could let me
    >>know how wide the widest point is could you?
    >
    >Definitely wide enough to be a nuisance on at least some bollarded paths, but I'll try and remember
    >to measure it tonight (I've been away for half term, so am now catching up on news.)

    About 75cm (29 1/2 inches) edge of mudguard to edge of mudguard, and the outer ends of the hubs
    are similar.

  14. Tony R

    Tony R Guest