Help !!! Felt Trek F55/F65 or Giant TCR1. Which one

pinoybiker

May 9, 2005
Hi all!
This is my 1st post.
I am using a mountain bike a KHS ALite 4000 team issue but most use it on roads. So decided to have a road bike also.

I have been searching for a roadbike and have narrowed down my choices to the following.
Felt F55
Felt F65
Giant TCR 1
Giant OCR 1

There is no comparison to each of the above due to different components and price.
But which one is a better value?

The OCR 1 with part ultegra in its price range looks good value-wise.
The Felt F65 with full ultegra looks nice too.
The Felt F55 though somewhat high-end has full dura-ace and carbon cranks.
Between the price of the F65 and the F55 is US$ 400-550 only. The price of the carbon cranks alone of the F55 could cost US$ 350.

So which one do you think is a better bike value-wise.
I dont want to buy something which i would regret later one, say changing some components as it will come out more costly in the end.

Thanks

pinoybiker said:
Hi all!
This is my 1st post.
I am using a mountain bike a KHS ALite 4000 team issue but most use it on roads. So decided to have a road bike also.

I have been searching for a roadbike and have narrowed down my choices to the following.
Felt F55
Felt F65
Giant TCR 1
Giant OCR 1

There is no comparison to each of the above due to different components and price.
But which one is a better value?

The OCR 1 with part ultegra in its price range looks good value-wise.
The Felt F65 with full ultegra looks nice too.
The Felt F55 though somewhat high-end has full dura-ace and carbon cranks.
Between the price of the F65 and the F55 is US$ 400-550 only. The price of the carbon cranks alone of the F55 could cost US$ 350.

So which one do you think is a better bike value-wise.
I dont want to buy something which i would regret later one, say changing some components as it will come out more costly in the end.

Thanks
Go ride them man, thats the best way to decide, and if you can find them all at the same shop, even better.

Also, from my understanding, carbon cranks arent much better, and if you are just starting road biking, you probably will not need Dura-Ace, just go with Ultegra.

>Go ride them man, thats the best way to decide, and if you can find them all >at the same shop, even better.
>
>Also, from my understanding, carbon cranks arent much better, and if you are >just starting road biking, you probably will not need Dura-Ace, just go with >Ultegra.

Yup thats exactly what ill do just to make sure the bike fits me right.
But for now am gathering as much info to narrow down on my choices.
Felts takes time to order and not readily available. ANy comments on the TCR1? it got ultegra´s same to F65.

pinoybiker said:
Yup thats exactly what ill do just to make sure the bike fits me right. But for now am gathering as much info to narrow down on my choices. Felts takes time to order and not readily available. ANy comments on the TCR1? it got ultegra´s same to F65.
I was looking at these rides, so I'll offer an opinion.
TCR1 - Beautiful ride, nice and stiff, but also light and nimble.
OCR 1 - Although this is a great value bike, I found the ride quality a lot more sloppy than the TCR. Although the TCR doesn't have the carbon rear of the OCR, the frame material is higher grade and the ride quality was a big step up from the OCR (IMHO).
Felt F55/F65 - I coultn't find a store to testride the Felt, but I ended up steering clear of this anyway. I felt nervous about the frame quality. The cost of this bike is so low (considering the groupset), that I wondered how they could keep the cost down and utilise a high quality frame. I didn't like the idea of that always being in the back of my mind.

At the end of the day you need to be happy with what you ride away on. With the bikes you're looking at, I'd definitely get the TCR1.

Hi

I just bought the TCR 1 and I am extremely satisfied with it..just dump the wheels and get some mavic ksyrium or something like that...you will love it...its very comfortable to me...it felt better than the litespeed I was currently riding...go figure

I bought a TCR1 a month ago and I love it. Light, great fork and seat post, very responsive, 10 speed ultegra is great, fantastic looks...work for me

Just make sure you get your gears right, cause mine came with a 11-23 and its not quite right for me(should have gone with a 12-25 or 12-23 instead)

cheers

ahsanh said:
Hi

I just bought the TCR 1 and I am extremely satisfied with it..just dump the wheels and get some mavic ksyrium or something like that...you will love it...its very comfortable to me...it felt better than the litespeed I was currently riding...go figure
Good day and thanks.
Which Ksyrium are you referring? The Elite seems too high a price for me. Is the Equipe a better alternative to the stock XSR-1?

Tks

Walrus said:
I was looking at these rides, so I'll offer an opinion.
TCR1 - Beautiful ride, nice and stiff, but also light and nimble.
OCR 1 - Although this is a great value bike, I found the ride quality a lot more sloppy than the TCR. Although the TCR doesn't have the carbon rear of the OCR, the frame material is higher grade and the ride quality was a big step up from the OCR (IMHO).
Felt F55/F65 - I coultn't find a store to testride the Felt, but I ended up steering clear of this anyway. I felt nervous about the frame quality. The cost of this bike is so low (considering the groupset), that I wondered how they could keep the cost down and utilise a high quality frame. I didn't like the idea of that always being in the back of my mind.

At the end of the day you need to be happy with what you ride away on. With the bikes you're looking at, I'd definitely get the TCR1.
Thanks walrus and ill take note about these.
Any comments perhaps from Felt F65/F55 bikers.
I still have about 30 days to figure out which one ill finally have.

Ronanmk said:
I bought a TCR1 a month ago and I love it. Light, great fork and seat post, very responsive, 10 speed ultegra is great, fantastic looks...work for me

Just make sure you get your gears right, cause mine came with a 11-23 and its not quite right for me(should have gone with a 12-25 or 12-23 instead)

cheers
Good day Ronanmk and thanks.
BTW what´s the difference between those gearings? The stock says 12-25.
What about triple chainrings? What difference does it makes?
As a newbie, got no idea at all. But have looked at the high end bikes and cranks are mostly double rings.

I've only seen one Felt dealer in my area and we have a bunch of bike shops, but a bunch of Giant dealers. A lot easier to get support if needed and if you can afford it, try the TCR 1...

ahsanh said:
Hi

Out of interest, which wheels did your TCR come with?

Walrus said:
Out of interest, which wheels did your TCR come with?
They came with Xero Formula...something like that, they are okay wheels...I got a sweet deal on a new set of 05 Ksyrium Elites..some bike shop was closing they were selling everything in cash...

ahsanh said:
They came with Xero Formula...something like that, they are okay wheels...I got a sweet deal on a new set of 05 Ksyrium Elites..some bike shop was closing they were selling everything in cash...
Xero? Never heard of them. The reason I ask is that usually the TCR will be built up with pretty decent wheels, so I wondered why you changed. The Elites are nice.

pinoybiker said:
Thanks walrus and ill take note about these.
Any comments perhaps from Felt F65/F55 bikers.
I still have about 30 days to figure out which one ill finally have.
I bought a Felt F70 about a month ago, and I love it. I went for this one because I'm close to hills and thought the extra chain ring might come in handy when climbing. I've only used it a couple of times, but when exhausted, and the hill looks endless it's been just what the doctor ordered.

While the choices for 105 equipped triple chainring-ed bikes are limited, the Felt was the best value by far.

I've had zero problems (it's only been a month, but hey), and if I had a few more dollars at the time, I would've gone the F60 (Ultegra 30 speed).

I think you need to get out there and test ride. I would be surprised any of the bikes you're looking at have issues, so it's going to come down to feel, taste, and what components you feel you need/want.

peter.

I am in almost the same situation/dilema as you. have you looked at the Orbea? while it is a slight bit more than the Felt it is a much sweeter ride it still has an Ultegra drivetrain w/ FSA crank. The big plus I found is it has a full carbon rear end rether than just the seat stays. For some reason the Felt dealer, who also sells Specialized, never wanted to spend much time talking about the Felt even though it seemed to me as a better "bang for my buck". just got a bad vibe with the Felt. Many of the dealers in New Orleans area won't comment much on them. I'm probably going to go with the Orbea Mitis. If for no other reason has the best paint I have seen yet.

peterlip said:
I bought a Felt F70 about a month ago, and I love it. I went for this one because I'm close to hills and thought the extra chain ring might come in handy when climbing. I've only used it a couple of times, but when exhausted, and the hill looks endless it's been just what the doctor ordered.

While the choices for 105 equipped triple chainring-ed bikes are limited, the Felt was the best value by far.

I've had zero problems (it's only been a month, but hey), and if I had a few more dollars at the time, I would've gone the F60 (Ultegra 30 speed).

I think you need to get out there and test ride. I would be surprised any of the bikes you're looking at have issues, so it's going to come down to feel, taste, and what components you feel you need/want.

peter.

gawnfishin said:
For some reason the Felt dealer, who also sells Specialized, never wanted to spend much time talking about the Felt even though it seemed to me as a better "bang for my buck".
It's funny you mention that. I had the same experience at my LBS. Maybe Felt don't give them any commission :rolleyes: . When I walked in to check out a Felt, he basically said that I would need to put a deposit on one (unsighted) then test it when it arrived. Bugger that! I went elsewhere.

Walrus said:
It's funny you mention that. I had the same experience at my LBS. Maybe Felt don't give them any commission :rolleyes: . When I walked in to check out a Felt, he basically said that I would need to put a deposit on one (unsighted) then test it when it arrived. Bugger that! I went elsewhere.
Interesting you(s) should mention this. When I was first looking at a Felt, one LBS that had them in stock (in fact on special) was not really interested in Felt, and was pushing other brands, even though one of my criteria was a triple on the front which the other brands didn't have.
At the place I finally bought it from, I started my questioning about brands before focusing on specific models. The guy I spoke to said that he liked Felt, but he knew many don't because: They tend to mix components, ie non Shimarno crank, or brakes, but what they deem as important (derailers, shifters) are.
They're not out to please just the bike purist, so you can get a triple on a Ultegra equipped bike, and the pedals are the mountian bike style (sorry don't know pedal brands or models) so you can actually walk with the matching shoes, not skate.
Because I'm not really one to follow a crowd, this only made the bike sound better. After a test ride, I was totally hooked, and I purchased it the following day.
As I mentioned earlier, it's only been a month, but no problems, and I love it.

HI TO ALL.

SEEMS THE TCR1 IS HARD TO GET. JUST CONTACT SOME DEALERS IN HOUSTON AREA AND WAS INFORMED GIANT HAS NO STOCK RIGHT NOW. SO ITS BACK TO SQUARE ONE FOR ME RIGHT NOW.

MY BUDGET IS WITHIN 1.3K - 1.6K SO IVE GOT LITTLE CHOICE.
ORBEA´s ARE NICE BIKES BUT LOOKS VERY DIFFICULT TO FIND IN HOUSTON. I WAS ASKING ABOUT THE CERVELO THE OTHER DAY BUT ALSO HARD TO GET BIKES.

IF I CANNOT GET HOLD OF THE TCR1 I MAY HAVE TO GET THE CANNONDALE. WILL HAVE TO STRETCH MY BUDGET A BIT THOUGH FOR THE CANNONDALE R1000.

ANY OF YOU GUYS TRIED THE R1000? ITS A LITTLE EXPENSIVE THOUGH.
STILL AND ALL, I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THE TCR1 IF I CAN.

I'll chime in on the F65 end
I bought an '04 F65 this last winter
Awesome deal during an LBS sale
It is a slight variation on the current option
double chainring, CF front fork and seat stays
Xero Wheels
Cane creek Stem
105 Ultegra

I LOVE this bike. Like any new bike it has some things that needed to be changed (the cheapo Wellgo pedals; the chain was lowend and got swapped out after 600 miles). Other that that, it just flies, is reliable, and is smooth and forgiving ride... light weight too!

The Trek 1500 is in your price range as well

A few months ago I was shopping for a new road bike. I considered the F55. It's lightweight and those DA parts make it quite tempting. In the end, I bought a Litespeed Firenze. For only about $400 more I got a titanium frame and Ultegra parts. I love it!